Inline water pump?

34studepres

Would that be a good idea? I'm thinking that the water/coolant in flowing through the radiator must have sufficient time in the core to enable cooling to take place before it returns to the engine. Speeding up the coolant flow may not give it enough time in the core for it to cool sufficientlybefore it returns to the engine.

I'd first check the factory pump, to ensure that the impeller has non-eroded vanes and is firmly attached to the shaft, and that the lower radiator hose (if longer than four inches) is not collapsing at speed/high suction.  Is there any foaming at speed or pushing water out the overflow (if so, might indicate that air is being sucked in past the packing)?

There are remote water pumps that could be plumbed in place of the hose but would take some doing as I doubt anything modern will have as large a diameter inlet and outlet as the old radiator hoses being removed.  If you need to make a size change you would need to cram any adapters etc in a probably confined space between the radiator outlet and engine inlet and still run hoses to the location of the new pump.  A bigger issue is I doubt you would find any pumps for 6v if that is what your car is using.

As others have mentioned flow rate thru the radiator is important.  I know several have tried removing thermostats in the thinking that the thermostat was restricting flow and they would get better cooling with it removed.  As I recall from discussions on other Packard forums that was not the case.