64 Riviera stuck in first gear

Chewbacca

Hi all

Looking for some help

My 64 Riviera with the 425 engine and ST400 automatic box will not shift up from first gear. It was running fine for 40 miles or so and then refused to shift up.

The transmission fluid is the correct level and clean/pink. Certainly not burned.

What else could it be?

My car has Edelbrock 1406 and the correct transmission vacuum port is driver's side port in front side of the carburetor. Previous owner had connected PCV, transmission and power brakes all together to the back side of the carburetor which in result caused very poor power braking effect, high rews for gears to change and rough gear change. I rerouted all vacuum lines like it is stated in Edelbrock manual and car can stop now with 4 wheels blocking and gear shifts really smoothly on low rpms.

Here is good video guide for Edelbrock: 

The original line from the carb to the vacuum modulator is a steel line.  In order to connect the line as Edelbrock states, you'll need to run a flexible line to the steel line or run a flexible line all the way to the transmission.  Unless you want to custom bend a solid line.

Captain Obvious

You guys are barking up the wrong tree........if you have no vacuum to the modulator the symptom is a very late shift, not no

shift at all. The most likely culprit is the governor gear, which is located behind the square metal cover with four bolts, one on each

corner that is bolted to the driver's side of the transmission at the rear. Remove the cover and inspect the gear......they are known to

to have the center totally break out of them like an apple that has been cored (the gear is made of plastic) The other possibility which

is less likely is that the kickdown is stuck. You can diagnose this by unplugging the wire on the   side of the transmission for the kickdown

and see if it will shift after doing that.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

You guys are barking up the wrong tree........if you have no vacuum to the modulator the symptom is a very late shift, not no

shift at all. The most likely culprit is the governor gear, which is located behind the square metal cover with four bolts, one on each

corner that is bolted to the driver's side of the transmission at the rear. Remove the cover and inspect the gear......they are known to

to have the center totally break out of them like an apple that has been cored (the gear is made of plastic) The other possibility which

is less likely is that the kickdown is stuck. You can diagnose this by unplugging the wire on the   side of the transmission for the kickdown

Image result for caricature barking up the wrong tree

• Like 2

I'm no guru but I've been doing external maintenance on my transmission lately.  I would first start with the easy stuff:  check for a good vacuum to the modulator.  If it's good, then maybe you're modulator is faulty or stuck.  The modulator is fairly cheap and it might be worth purchasing just to rule out a variable.

Thank you
Chris

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

OK guys, I've found a few sources. Why are Standard products twice the price of everyone else (eg FRAM)? Are they higher quality or just ambitious marketing of the same Chinese sourced products?

Here is the one I bought

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0184BF00G/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_in_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works fine for me but there may be other recommendations. 

Edited by first64riv (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with a 1964 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S with TH400, and the issue was the 4-inch piece of rubber tubing connecting the steel vacuum tube to the modulator at a 90-degree angle and thus subject to a lot of flexing.  I had to look closely at the small piece of hose to determine that it was compromised.

You say you've checked "all of the above," but did you replace that PIA small piece?  I was 10 miles from home when this happened to me, and I found that if I ran the car up to 30 mph in first (no upshift), momentarily placed the selector in neutral, then back to drive, I was in 3rd gear.  For those more skilled than I in TH400s, you might want to tell them whether that trick works on yours.

On 8/16/2018 at 4:17 PM, Seafoam65 said:

Congrats. The gearbox expert says the governor is jammed but not broken. Reckons taking apart, cleaning and reassembly should cure the problem. Hope so! This is a $200 fix compared to a $1000 rebuild.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so this issue is fixed but what I have noticed now that I am driving it some more is that when I pull up to a junction, if I sit on the brakes with the car in D, there is a knocking noise from the rear of the car. If I shift into neutral, it disappears. It is not there when moving. Any ideas?