Bring a Battery......and Maybe Some Gas.

I have found it. A solid candidate for the ne plus ultra of the pricing dilemma that plagues the collector car hobby at the "project" level.

While I'm all for the enterprise of a hearty restoration, resurrecting the dead, cremated and scattered at sea is beyond even my faith.

And for those who just have to know, Yes, it has a salvage title. :lol:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/1959-porsche-356-coupe/6672093735.html

porsche junk.jpg

They are not so much rare as extremely expensive for a rust prone , slightly underpowered , VW based car. You can say much the same for its Fiat based Abarth  counterpart from the 1950's and 60's.

They were interesting in the 1970's and 80's when they cost about double what a similar condition MGB would go for. These days they are several times the cost of the comparison MGB and to me at least don't represent decent value for the cost. Guess I just don't understand the Porsche mystique. I do however have a Lotus Cortina project. A lot of the same faults , performance good however not great by todays standards. Crazy market price. Rust prone. Trades largely on its history. At least my starting point is a lot better than this artifact, and it cost me far far less.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1

Trouble is as far as I know no one is making 356 body shells. Lots of replacement sheet metal is available , however there can't be much re-useable on this shell. So a person would end up buying another 356 as a donor for the donor.  I know 365 prices are extreme however the seller is probably way above a realistic value on this one. And that trend possibly explains why he has a rack piled high with them. Most were probably bought decades ago for peanuts. Is the Porsche bubble ever going to burst ? Other than 4 cams and speedsters most 356's were built in reasonably large numbers.

Greg

....then there's the whole "bad ju-ju" thing about having a car that was almost certainly occupied by the driver's cadaver for at least  half of those 20 rollovers. ?

Many panels are available, http://www.356panels.com/

Much of the trim parts are out there, the upholstery can be bought as a kit, engine, trans, wheels, and so on would need to be found and restored. Some of the small parts would be a lengthy search, but it could be made into something. Porsche date-coded a lot of a car when built, and on this thing that history is largely gone. Purists look for those codes.

Trouble is, even if the hobbyist's hourly wage was $0.00, the car, when/if superbly resurrected, is worth maybe $125,000. Maybe.

Might be better for this hulk to go vintage racing and save the heavy lifting for better bones to begin with. I have a very nice C model 356 that I bought completely disassembled; all body work done and every part save one wheel and a horn in boxes. Loaded all that stuff on the trailer and drove it home for 10,000.

Original barn find with original paint, has not run since parked. Could use a freshening up. Sorry I cannot send pictures seeing I am presently stationed off shore on a drilling platform. Please send money through Western Union to Nigeria. I am female of noble blood so you can trust me.

On 8/16/2018 at 12:06 AM, C Carl said:

I don't know anything about these cars. But I am curious to know whether there is anything of value here other than perhaps a brakedrum or two, and the instruments, which seem to be intact ?   -  Carl 

And what might "all the good bits" be ?  Just curious, I really know nothing about these cars, and have even less interest in this one. What is left of it that someone could even ask this kind of dough ? Seriously, I believe X' has proposed the highest purpose for this already striped scrap metal in response #6 above. His reference to the Bug' from the Swiss lake (I have seen it in the Mullin Museum in Oxnard, CA), leads me to ask : if this was, say, a Bugatti 51C, or a 44, as totalled and totally picked over as this junk, would even THAT mangled metal merit money such as this ?     -  Cadillac Carl, simply doesn't get it. 

On 8/15/2018 at 5:26 PM, GregLaR said:

I have found it. A solid candidate for the ne plus ultra of the pricing dilemma that plagues the collector car hobby at the "project" level.

While I'm all for the enterprise of a hearty restoration, resurrecting the dead, cremated and scattered at sea is beyond even my faith.

And for those who just have to know, Yes, it has a salvage title. :lol:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/1959-porsche-356-coupe/6672093735.html

porsche junk.jpg

Looks like a job for “Graveyard Cars” , but they do Mopar cars. All they need is a vin number and clear title.

Edited by stakeside
E (see edit history)

1 hour ago, C Carl said:

And what might "all the good bits" be ?  Just curious, I really know nothing about these cars, and have even less interest in this one. What is left of it that someone could even ask this kind of dough ? Seriously, I believe X' has proposed the highest purpose for this already striped scrap metal in response #6 above. His reference to the Bug' from the Swiss lake (I have seen it in the Mullin Museum in Oxnard, CA), leads me to ask : if this was, say, a Bugatti 51C, or a 44, as totalled and totally picked over as this junk, would even THAT mangled metal merit money such as this ?     -  Cadillac Carl, simply doesn't get it. 

In most cases like this the residual value largely lies in the serial number.  There are always similar cars around that are better candidates for restoration that no longer have a serial number. There are numerous reasons why a car or body shell might lack a serial number. And quite a few don't involve anything as nefarious as a stolen car. These cars and many other cars that are of quite high  value in todays market were often very cheap 20 or 30 years ago. They were used as parts cars and race cars and sometimes in the process lost their serial number.  Very common with older English cars where the serial number is on a small tag screwed to an inner panel and not stamped permanently anywhere on the car.  When the cars were $50.00 parts cars no one was too concerned. 

Now that values of some of these cars has skyrocketed the value of serial numbers has in certain cases also skyrocketed.

And yes, I am sure that any legit Bugatti serial number tag would be of similar value. Someone would build a new car around it.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

5 hours ago, C Carl said:

C Carl makes a good point, and an interesting question. What is the highest price paid for a chunk of a car? And what type of car was it? 

I almost bought this car on Ebay back around 2005. The car has shown up on the internet as The Car From Hell many times. It was inside a building next to a car that burned. Peter Madle says it has been restored.

One of my regrets, finger hovering over the Enter key and just couldn't do it.

466848464_Autoweek-PCH-Luxo-Bling-Edition2.jpgmaxW630.jpg.32b4fb799802a35a36201e18ef28c06c.jpg

The fat lady didn't sing yet, still one out there.

Bernie

I've never caught the bug  for the Porsche disease, thankfully. I remember them as a kid,  thought they were cute VW's.

Bought a 1986 928 S model as I thought they looked too cool. It was a big disappointment and took almost 2 years to sell at a big loss.

Every time I think of buying another I just remember the money loss and abuse from so called Porsche people and I'm cured! 

I think I can claim "Old Porsche Hand" status...my farther picked me up from High School in a 550 Spyder for sale fror $3500 and I've owned and rebuilt 5 or 6 over the years. Just the same I can't get my head around the $100K 356 "driver". They really aren't Bugattis!

Edited by Leif in Calif (see edit history)