auburnseeker

How not to ship vintage car literature

And it is off, delivered to USPS in a Hudson truck, sitting in the passenger seat. This is like a shipping reality show.

more pictures 120.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sounds good.  I was just thinking when I ran to the next town for more crap for the garage project, that they would probably show up and I wouldn't be there to sign for them.

Had the Big boy out today for a trip up town.

Now I have a Throwout bearing going bad I think in my 40 Ford coupe. It was quiet for about 30 seconds then got noisy real fast.  I tore the floor all out to get at the inspection cover and found the spring was dragging on it.  I fixed that,  but it's still noisy and looks like it threw the grease out of it all at once.   The whole clutch bell housing and bearing assemblies all look new when they restored it 20 years ago and probably 20 miles since. 

I might try drilling a hole in it and greasing it first as mentioned on the Ford Barn.  It's a Made in USA Aetna bearing and spins freely.  Not looking forward to dropping the rear end out to get the tranny out to access it. 

I would rather spend that time putting your pretty parts on my Hudson. 

IMG_2693.JPG

IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2699.JPG

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Have no idea how the bearing drilling was described but if you are going to drill through the steel jacket i suggest you stop just before the bit breaks through. Then use a prick punch to complete the hole. That eleminates the chips in the bearing problem......bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here’s a sad one for you. Like yea dude, the Post Office pays attention to fragile stickers. Oh but I see, you added “very” ...that should take care of the lack of a box with any structure to it. Why is it always the rare old stuff that idiots like this  don’t use due diligence in packaging. So sad to see something that lasted this long given such disrespect and destroyed. 

22E071D2-7935-40B7-B21A-54828078813A.jpeg

6DD88EA9-34B6-4447-92CC-457D5BFB7983.jpeg

834C4A46-26C4-41D9-B35A-5138D408891F.jpeg

6E14232B-2AB0-40D0-81CF-EFE476E13E39.jpeg

1F333F46-2C29-4157-A27A-43992C6912E7.jpeg

• Sad 2

When looking at the first picture, nothing heavy on top, would make a person wonder what is the top? With out all sides clearly marked, and the top and bottom identified. No one would know top, from bottom, from side to side. I marked Auburnseekers stuff Fra-gile

• Haha 1

Update.

The box arrived in fine order,  though the carrier perched it on top of the arm of my Adirondack Chair.  Good thing it wasn't windy.  It would have blown off as it's a fairly light box. 

Even then Xander packed it well so nothing would have been damaged. 

Here are a few shots of the box and a couple of the parts I finally got on my truck. 

I even lucked out on the hood emblem light, as of the 3 I have all are pretty crappy with bare wire and rusty sockets,  but I had on the shelf from years of collecting and selling NOS parts a NOS light socket and pigtail assembly,  even the correct length.  Ironically it was for a Ford, but I never fully identified the application as it wasn't worth the time.  Glad I saved it.  I added the NOS insert but the western chrome is very good for my driver.  The original shown below actually has a bunch of holes ground through it where they tried to grind the pits out before they rechromed it then just left the holes.

I also added a nice hood ornament that has been on my shelf just waiting for a day I was far enough under that hood to get to the mounting bolts.

I still have the fender lights to swap out, but I'm back to working on the 40 Ford today fixing the cobs of the person that restored it.  How can a brand new Bob Drake Trunk handle assembly be installed with a bunch of pieces missing and a non functional tag light when the car has a brand new correct wire harness, The handle doesn't even stay in the base and the lock cylinder which I have the key for is jammed in the sleeve.  The gasket for the tag light was missing so you couldn't tighten the light up enough to make contact for a ground.  It's incredible how someone can screw so much stuff up when it seems like basic installation of brand new parts designed for that exact application.  Instead of replacing the trunk hinge springs,  they made drop arms that could be bolted to the trunk hinges to hols it open.  I just shake my head. 

IMG_3806.JPG

IMG_5182.JPG

IMG_5184.JPG

IMG_5188.JPG

IMG_5190.JPG

IMG_5187.JPG

That is original chrome on that emblem housing, dry Idaho sun treats chrome good out here. You can kiss good bye steering wheels and shift knobs. I can see why you wanted to replace the one that was on there. Nice hood ornament, hard to find ones with out a lot of pits in the fine lines. Glad the box made it with out damage, good parts are to hard to find.

The hood ornament had a few pits.  I actually cleaned up the recess and painted it silver,  leaving all the rest of the chrome brilliant.  Looks like it could have came that way.  Honestly most people wouldn't know as they don't even know what it is,  though in big letters on the bed it says 1947 Hudson.  I think I have less than $50 in it.  Otherwise I would have bid on yours if I didn't have a good one.  I probably 2 to 3 of a bunch of pieces of chrome for my truck,  but every piece is alot worse than the next.   Your stuff was just what it needed.  I just won an NOS hubcap on ebay as well.  Mine are presentable but one's beat up a bit.  They rarely come up in good shape.  I've noticed little of anything comes up for them. 

I think my next Hudson will be a Stepdown.  Parts seem plentiful.  Actually the earlier ones 42 and back seem to be easier to find NOS parts for and the prices seem very reasonable.

I just pulled the pork chop out of the evaporust and will paint the shield on it,  then probably bolt it on this afternoon.  Ironically the wire connector on the Hudson for the hood emblem light was a 2 to 1,  so I replaced it with a 1 to 1 connector,  then working on putting my Ford back together I needed a 1 to 2 connector for the horns someone cobbed up.  So it worked out good.  Ford parts on the Hudson and Hudson parts on the Ford.  The Judges won't like it. ;)

Shipping   I bought a Quick Lift and if it hadn't been made of steel, it would have been trashed.  UPS did all the damage it could to the boxes that weighed 114 pounds apiece.

I can imagine the treatment it got.  The two side lifts got the worse of it but the pump and controls made it fine.  The UPS guy was glad to get them out of his truck. Said he was tripping over them all day.

Here are some more of Xanders Shiny bits on the big boy. 

Before and Afters, so you can see how welcome the new parts are. 

There are suppose to be ribs in those fender lights.  Whoever plated them,  ground all the ribs out to get rid of the pits.  Now they are blistering anyways and have weird dull spots in them as well as waviness from them grinding the ribs out.  One of Xander's was NOS and the other was a good replate. I still have to wire new sockets into the light bases that I have that are rechromed but I mounted these over my bases (which you only see a little of) The plating on Xander's bases are excellent so the whole lights will look really nice when I do that and put new gaskets down. They swapped out so quickly, I couldn't resist putting them on the truck. 

Now with the new lights my decent Headlight bezels (tough to find a set any better, I know as I have about 4 or 5 extras) look kind of crappy. 

IMG_5457.JPG

IMG_5461.JPG

IMG_5462.JPG

IMG_5464.JPG

IMG_5465.JPG

IMG_5467.JPG

• Like 1

Looking sharp, someone really wiped out all the detail on your old fender lights. When you replace the front base pieces on the fender lights. Switch them from side to side, so the screw on the cover piece faces inward. Also, after putting cool stuff on your classic ride, you are required to go for a drive.;)  Looks good, glad you got the parts you needed.

Now you know why I was happy to get the fender lights.  I thought maybe Hudson had made two kinds,  but realized later the plater just decided to customize them a bit.  It's not a pristine show truck,  but I still like it to look right.  It will go for a ride in the next few days, suppose to be 90 and humid here today.  some rain in the morning tomorrow then a big car show 5 miles away with about 3000 mostly hot rods. I was lazy about pre registering (the show is one of those you wait in line for an hour or so just to get parked,  not to mention how long it takes to get through town to get to the show on the other end.) Plus the entrance fee is up to $60 per car.  I tried registering a couple of weeks after registration opened on February 1st and they were sold out of about the 2000 spots they have.  Oh well.  Sunday you can cruise down and drive in without a pass.  I usually do that for a couple of hours then everyone left finally pulls out.   Much more laid back on Sunday. 

I keep telling my wife,  why couldn't that be Hershey or hell even Carlisle (though Hershey would be my preferred choice) that close by for such a large car event. 

I guess with Hemmings concourse the follwing weekend in the same town 5 miles away.  I can get my car fix.  (I can even enter in the open show the day before the concourse if I want)   I really like a swap meet though and neither of those shows has one.  I always thought someone could make a nice profit setting one up in the vacant lot across the street from the entrance gate.

After the election is over plastic lawn signs make great backer boards and cut easily with a box cutter or table saw. Bob 

DSCF1189.JPG

Not so fond memories of a padded dash for 58 Bonneville.  "Last one in the country"  $1000. UPS delivered in box with no padding, a little bubble wrap on corners, and about 10 footprints all over box.  Seller said no refunds, but if I show pictures of dash cut up, he would file for insurance.  There's a conundrum for ya.

I once got a 1949 Cadillac front bumper all rechromed with the 4 guards also rechromed via UPS.  The seller wrapped the whole thing with Bud 12 pack cardboard and strapped the bumper guards on with packing tape to it.  Needless to say it arrived with one guard left on it.  Which really was a shame as it had show quality chrome.  The bumper itself looked fine wrapped.  I trucked it to Hershey and met a guy through the forums that wanted to buy it.  I didn't end up putting it on the car and never unwrapped it.  The wrapping didn't have any rub throughs.  Well we got it all unwrapped to the end and there was a goose egg sized dent in the bumper.  It hit so hard the chrome actually popped where the dent was a little and was still in the package so it wasn't like that before shipping.   Unfortunately no recourse through ebay as it had been 90 days.  When I contacted the guy about the guards alone,  he said the place he shipped it from said it was his responsibility,  he said it was insured,  so from then it was a peeing contest with me being down wind and at the bottom of the hill.   

So pack it like it so it can't get damaged in any way if possible.  The shipping company will only honor insurance if they lose the item and then the shipper,  who usually doesn't care or they would have packed it right in the first place,  has to file the claim and handle the whole matter with you just receiving your money back if you are lucky.  Usually with our cars we are dealing with pretty rare stuff so losing it or getting it damaged hurts alot more.

I received a new head gasket for my 38 Flathead 6 Studebaker via priority mail. Very well boxed. The shipper even put two flat thin pieces of wood the length of the gasket that were about two inches wide so the box would be ridged. The outside was marked “Do not bend” in several places on both sides. We get our mail at the street in a standard size mail box. The mail girl bent the box length wise then folded that in half breaking the pieces of wood so it would fit in the mail box. She did close the mail box door. When I took it to the postmaster I was told she folded it so it wouldn’t get wet as it was raining. When I asked why she didn’t deliver it to our house I was told she didn’t think anyone was home. I told the Postmaster there is no way she could possibly be accused of thinking when she did what she did to my package. There happened to be a sheriff in line behind me and he asked the postmaster if I was causing a problem and then told me if I continued to cause trouble he would arrest me.  I told him I have every right to complain when a government official messed up including if he does. I then took my time filling out a claim and made him wait in line. I also mentioned I would be seeing the chief at our usual poker night and would let him know about this incident. The look on his face was worth the head gasket problem. Oh yeah I don’t play poker.  

Dave S 

• Haha 1

You take it for granted that USPS, Fedex, and UPS, as well as others, are going to drop and throw your box multiple times.  I once asked a USPS clerk if by writing FRAGILE!  DO NOT DROP!!! on the box made a difference in how the package is handled.  The clerk said "NO!  Stamping Fragile and Do Not Drop on a package is mainly to make the customer feel good".  Another reason to pack well!