talbotracer

Maxwell 1915

Thanks Pete, I appreciate the pictures. I'm praying for you that the regulator is still functioning. I've been chasing Maxwell information and parts since 1991 and this is the first time I've ever seen this variation.

Could I get the measurements for the cover on your starter switch? I ask because I've ran across 2 sizes and the larger one is what I've seen the most but yours appears to be the smaller version.

Howard Dennis

i have the original front mat for my car in bad condition i have found a firm that can print me a copy onto vinyl, but i have a problem with what is supposed to be where the heel of the foot sits on it has anybody a picture of what should be there

Thanks

ps my diff is re fitted and the reconditioned front prop joint is all in soon be ready for a test

DSC_0026.JPG

A stupid question what does the transformer coil do? i am trying to rewire my Maxwell and i have cut of wires all over the place, on my car the wire goes from the starter switch to the coil then to the mag but mine has the wire going to the fuse board area but is cut of HELP PLEASE

1 hour ago, talbotracer said:

A stupid question what does the transformer coil do? i am trying to rewire my Maxwell and i have cut of wires all over the place, on my car the wire goes from the starter switch to the coil then to the mag but mine has the wire going to the fuse board area but is cut of HELP PLEASE

Talbotracer, Does this help? 

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/140574-1916-maxwell-ignition-coil/

Howard Dennis

1 hour ago, talbotracer said:

from the link you sent what are A and P as i said the cables on my car are connected differently to the diagrams

Thanks

Pete

starter.png

Good question Pete! Just because I provide these answers doesn't mean I understand them,  and anything electrical is my worst subject. Then add in the fact that you need a Patent lawyer to read these documents as well as an engineer. I was able to find P is the starter generator. A is listed as the engine in one sentence but clearly in this illustration it isn't the engine??

Another factor in your case is we are dealing with illustrations of 1914-15 Maxwells that came with magneto's and dry cells and transformer coils and your car has been converted to the later more modern Atwater-Kent Distributor.

Howard Dennis

at least you are honest and telling it like it is, i will have to sit down by the car and work it out, i still have all of the cables and most of the bits associated with the mag on the car so maybe i can trace it all back thanks for you help

if i get it to work i will let you know

pete

3 hours ago, talbotracer said:

from the link you sent what are A and P as i said the cables on my car are connected differently to the diagrams

Thanks

Pete

starter.png

Pete, Just thought of one other possible problem, do you know if your dash is original 1915 configuration or was it converted to a later version as well?

Howard Dennis

i think the whole car is genuine, they just cut the wires and disconnected the starter and used one six volt battery and a switch for the coil and used the handle

i am going to disconnect every thing and just work out how the starter works then connect it so it will start and work the lights etc. i know now that i do not need a lot of the original wires

i have done this in the past  best to start again and fix what is needed

pete

And A stands for?     ammeter      i should know that, any way took all the wires off and started again its all working the starter push was seized but i have freed it and it turns the engine ok, and i have all the lights etc working

i need to run it and see if its charging and work out if that round thing under the seat is a regulator

On 9/8/2018 at 2:02 AM, mrcvs said:

I took the serial number at the start of the year and the end of the year and interpolated as to when might have been produced.  This assumes a constant production rate and is completely unscientific and could, in reality, be off by as much as several months.

i have a list of serial numbers from 1914 to 1926 not sure where i found it do you want a copy put on here

pete

On 9/7/2018 at 9:02 PM, mrcvs said:

I took the serial number at the start of the year and the end of the year and interpolated as to when might have been produced.  This assumes a constant production rate and is completely unscientific and could, in reality, be off by as much as several months.

Attached are the serial numbers

Maxwell data.jpg

i have finally sorted out the wiring on my car, i had to put 2 cutouts in the system as it has 2 circuits, i had to use 3 wiring diagrams and the patent papers for the original switch as my car is not supposed to have a starter and lights

has anyone a picture of the Dry Cells thanks

newwire.JPG

newwire2.JPG

Edited by talbotracer (see edit history)

so car now starts on the Button with new batteries and a rewire and it charges so thats good, drove it out of the garage and the brakes are useless is there a special way to set them up? i have put new linings on so that does not help

maybe they where not good from new!!