Tilt column & signal lever removal 1st Gen

Hans3

Can someone refer me to the chassis manual section or a prior forum posting that describes the removal of the signal switch from a 1st-Gen tilt column?  Chassis manual doesn't appear to discuss it and other forum posts primarily address the cable issues.  Thanks.

Edited by Hans3 (see edit history)

the 64 Manual has a directional signal chapter 10-61

The instructions are lay on the floor with your head by the gas pedal (the switch is mounted about a foot from the firewall on the steering column), remove the quick disconnect plug, remove two screws and you will have your switch in hand.

you might want to scribe a mark on the switch where the screws are. as they have a slide adjustment. all you need is a mini screwdriver to ease off the harness plug and a 5/16 open end and 5-7 minutes. Bring some spray grease with you,give a couple shots to the joints of the emergency brake mechanism and the door hinge pivots Stev e

• Like 1

Sorry I should clarify that I'm struggling with the chrome column shroud that covers the tilt lever and turn signal levers.  These lever actuators are what I'm after, but the chrome shroud cover doesn't have an obvious removal method.

The  chrome shroud you are referring to is press fit onto the column......it has nothing holding it on but friction..

I seem to recall a thread a few years ago where removing it was discussed. I remember that it was mentioned that they could

be removed by tapping on them somehow but I don't recall exactly how it was done. I would find this information of interest as well,

so hopefully someone will chime in who has actually had to remove one of these shrouds.

The chrome removes fromunderneath too...when bottom half is removed more screws are revealed for upper half

but go backwards, to get to your turn signal ACTUATOR ( wherre your turn signal stalk activates)requires removing the steering wheel with a steering wheel puller

I would be a little shy to use a slide hammer for fear of dimpling or deforming the chrome collar but surely that method would work. I generally pull the steering wheel and after putting the nut back on the shaft I use an angled, wide tipped pry bar under the edge of the collar and against the shaft/nut and work the collar off a little at a time while rotating the position of the pry bar around the circumference of the collar. Generally, they are not very tight.

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Should the turn signal cable be tight against the steering column? 

I've read various thread on here about this issue and how a loose cable is usually the cause for the turn signals not working.  I can see now that I have it and the steering wheel off that the cable pulls up for a right turn and pushes down for a left turn, but not sure if I should just be tightening up the slack on the cable sheathing or what exactly.  When I flip the turn lever, instead of the cable itself moving, the sheathing is the part that moves the most (the cable only seems to move a little).  I figured it would be more like a bicycle brake cable where the outer sheathing is mostly stationary, but the wire inside is the one that really moves. 

IMG_20180818_163229293.jpg

• 2 years later...