Sign in to follow this  
first64riv

Th400 shift shaft seal replacement

Hey guys,

Has anyone here replaced their shift shafts seal?  I plan to buy the tool from NAPA but wanted to make sure the seal is an easy DIY.

Thank you.

Chris

Chris,

No problem using the tool. Makes the job quick & simple.  I've done hundreds with & without the tool. BUT not on your '64 Riv. The shift shaft  part is welded to the shaft unlike the '65 & newer which are held on with a 9/16ths. nut. You will need to drop the pan & dis-assemble from the inside to pull the shaft out of the case. Unless someone replaced the shaft with a '65 & up shaft during the course of a re-build. You can easily tell if it's been replaced as there will be a nut holding the shift part on.

Tom T.

On 8/12/2018 at 9:38 AM, telriv said:

Chris,

No problem using the tool. Makes the job quick & simple.  I've done hundreds with & without the tool. BUT not on your '64 Riv. The shift shaft  part is welded to the shaft unlike the '65 & newer which are held on with a 9/16ths. nut. You will need to drop the pan & dis-assemble from the inside to pull the shaft out of the case. Unless someone replaced the shaft with a '65 & up shaft during the course of a re-build. You can easily tell if it's been replaced as there will be a nut holding the shift part on.

Tom T.

Tom,

I wanted to revisit this and ask, since the shift shaft is welded is there any grinding involved in the process during replacement? 

Thank you

Chris