1990 Buick Reatta, ran like a dream until the night, I ran over a large coon

My 1990 Buick Reatta, ran like a dream until the night, I ran over a large coon<<luckly I was driving very slowly, just didn't see anything until the coon ran out in front of me. Everything went off, but came right back on. Sine that awful night I have had the about problem over and over. I get it fixed, and some months later I go out, crank her up, she begins to run roughly and cuts off. Over the next few days it get worse and worse, until it will not crank, or cuts off during my drive, when I make a turn that slows me down. I just got her home yesterday, and had a slow leak in a tire, I was ok with the tire leak, so I drive it to the tire shop, Parked it in the parking lot. I was running perfect. The repairman drove the car inside his shop, repaired the tire, and came inside with my key. Said he had pulled my car around the building making it closer to the lounge I was waiting in. I went out side and cranked it up. It immediately started to run rough, and it cut off !  I noticed the fuel light was now on, it had between 1/4 tank and 1/2 tank when I arrived at the tire repair shop. I did not bother to go in and ask the guy if he had driven my car down the road, because there was no need since I had the problem myself several times. I drove to the gas station and put in 10 gallons of the medium grade gas, since my last fill up was high test, and it made no improvement. I went ahead and ran my errands and returned home with my Reatta running great with the cruise control on. As soon as I pulled under my carport at began to run rough again. Since I had just got it out of the shop ( gone since April ) and I have replaced fuel pump, mass air filter, oil pressure filter, cam sensor, my eyes were focused on my gauges digital displays, and I zeroed in on the oil pressure gauge that was fluctuating between normal ( dead middle of the gauge ) and all the way down to 2 bars ( very low ) pressure.... this is when it began to run roughly,,, I have noticed this same condition  before I put it in the shop. I am now convinced, it is the oil sending switch . Also when my oil was last changed, the shop put in a quart too much oil . I love reatta, but with out you guys, I would have to sell it, because I would never connect all the dots in this cars' design ! Tommy Hooks 

OY. Oil pressure switch failure is so common I always keep a spare.

"top for about a minute, at the most, and then shut off like I had turned the ignition switch off" sounds like when it tried to switch to closed loop.

What you need is diagnostics. For in depth I use a Moates adapter, TunerPro RT, and a laptop.

gtpdash24may16.jpg

22 hours ago, Tommybeach said:

I noticed the fuel light was now on, it had between 1/4 tank and 1/2 tank when I arrived at the tire repair shop. I did not bother to go in and ask the guy if he had driven my car down the road, because there was no need since I had the problem myself several times. I drove to the gas station and put in 10 gallons of the medium grade gas, since my last fill up was high test, and it made no improvement.

Did the fuel light go off and did the fuel gauge show the right amount after you added the 10 gallons of gas?

If you suspect the oil pressure sender is bad, go ahead and replace it and get that out of the way. They are easy to change.  You should check the fuel pressure when it's running poorly or won't start. Don't assume the fuel pressure is good just because you have replaced the pump.

I would pull the codes to start out, why guess when the car is capable of telling you what is wrong. If there are no codes then I would start spit balling it. I am also concerned that coon may have put the evil eye on your car. You might want to Google "How to remove a curse."

• Like 1

Someone needs to take the raccoon's side in all this.  I never heard what happened to the animal:  Was it injured?  Did you kill it?  Did it crawl away and die?  Why were you driving on what was obviously the raccoon's turf?

I think Brenda may have something here.  You may have to perform a sacrifice to appease the raccoon gods.  They're probably not too picky, the ones in my neighborhood appear very satisfied with dog food!