armrest 1954 windsor convertible

skyler

i am trying to remove the arm rests. the handles are off, the door panel is pulled away and the armrests seem to be attatched to the door from behind them and i cannot see in there or get in there to see what is holding it. my 53 imperial had 2 bolts on the underside of the arm rest so they would come right off. these do not have them and are covered with material all around. i thought they would come off with the door panel. anybody familiar with this removal issue?   thanks,     dennis 

Look to see if there is a small screw at the bottom of the upholstery that covers the arm rest.

On the cars a couple of years older there is a screw that holds down a flap that will reveal the actual mounting bolts.

that sounds interesting and logical. i will check that tomorrow and report back. there has to be mounting bolts but so far they have eluded me. i hope you are right, and wouldn't that be an easy way to remove them.    dennis

I posted some info in your topic in the General Forum. Here it is again but I do not know if it is correct or not. Hope it works. I found an old posting that says to sharply hit the back of the armrest to slide it forward to clear the two mounting screws. Good luck!

These do slide off. No screws, mine were very tight and tough to get both off and on, if I remember correctly it goes up, not forward or backwards. It has been 4 years since mine were off and on so memory remembers the difficulty but not the direction. Rob

thanks for all the replies. the door panel moves all around independent of the armrest.does not seem to be connected in any way. they are more than likely some sort of slide off of some screw or bolt heads, but so far all  attempts to move up, down, forward, backward have failed. must be some corrosion or rust holding them. i just had the seats recovered, and the armrests were included, so the shop said to bring the car in and they will get it done. probably will have to cut them open to find the method of attatchment. i bought new carpet from JC Whitney, so i will install that, put seats back in, and go to the shop. this is the first time i am changing anything that is original to the car, but the budget only allows so much and these items will make it nicer for us to ride in. the top is still fairly good, but paint is not. money is not there for everything, so we will just have to feel better when riding inside the car for now.   dennis