Does anyone know the origins of this photo?

nzcarnerd

7 hours ago, Leif Holmberg said:

Thanks. So far there does not seem to have been any further information appear regarding the road marking rig. I will keep searching. I reckon the photo date could be anywhere up to WW2. The car looks to be circa 1912. It is supposed to - possibly - be a Chalmers but I can't find a photo of a Chalmers with that style of fenders - with the 'eyebrows' on the front. It is possible of course that the radiator is from a different car.

That looks like a concrete road with hard edge. In NZ, they were built in a few places during the depression as make-work schemes. One such is SH 1 south of Templeton (I was involved in widening the carriageway during my engineering degree) and another is between Hastings and Napier, at least between Mangateretere and Clive. In general, we don't have the traffic volumes to justify concrete roads.

2 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

That looks like a concrete road with hard edge. In NZ, they were built in a few places during the depression as make-work schemes. One such is SH 1 south of Templeton (I was involved in widening the carriageway during my engineering degree) and another is between Hastings and Napier, at least between Mangateretere and Clive. In general, we don't have the traffic volumes to justify concrete roads.

Also the old Main North Road from The Peg Hotel at Belfast through Kaiapoi to Woodend. Much of it is still there under the later tar seal. I drive that road several times a week.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2018 at 9:07 PM, nzcarnerd said:

Also the old Main North Road from The Peg Hotel at Belfast through Kaiapoi to Woodend. Much of it is still there under the later tar seal. I drive that road several times a week.

That's an interesting road with the marks still on it.