re-listing 67 Riv for sale

Maybe I had it listed too high, but I'm lowering price to $16,750. Good description  is on e-bay; pix, other info. Of the 12 serious bites I got, 9 were from Hemmings and 3 from e-bay. 6 of the 12 were from Texas (???) which makes dealing difficult. Any suggestions other than e-bay and Hemmings? Craigs list has a lot of scammers. Any comments on cars.com or similiar venues?

IMG_1144.JPG

IMG_1145 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

• Like 1

Rocky

Your car looks like a good deal to me but I’m a chump for any ‘67.

My guess is that in general buyers hesitate to purchase from the north east due to all the road salts.

Perhaps you could focus more on the undercarriage, battery tray and door jambs with photos?

l like to surf here:

https://classics.autotrader.com/

I bought a great car from the site.

best of luck

Paul

Edited by PWB (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing but tire kickers, fraudsters and hard luck stories. Getting discouraged. I know the car is worth it- many guys have said so. Best potential buyer broke his back in a boating accident ( or so he said). One guy flew from San Fran to here, loved the car EXCEPT FOR THE SHAPE OF THE AC CONTROL KNOBS. A local guy was the nicest of all but he has 2 kids' weddings coming up and was forced to forego his hobby. Back in the day this thing would have disappeared under the GW bridge in the Bronx. But I digress.

Maybe I'll look for a barn, store it, then film me pulling it out with hay all over it. Not a bad idea epriv. And yes 1967-1997 Riviera I have posted a bunch of pix all over the place including movies of my running a magnet all over to show there's no bondo. The guy never called back.

Car has been sold. Took about 8-9 weeks. Finally got a local buyer. What a PITA!  Final tally; Hemmimgs- 8  leads ( online only, not in the publication which runs about 30-45 days AFTER the electronic ad depending on when it is placed), including the successful one/ E-bay 3 leads/Craigs list about 3 leads, 2 of which were frauds/Classic Auto Trader- 0/Buick V-8 forum 0/ROA 0/Riv owners on FB 0.  Because we have had 50% of our shows and cruises rained out this season I never got any solid hits although I had thought that was still the best bet, if only due to local guys vs people from across the country.

For the life of me I can't see how people can pretend to be interested in a car that's 2000 miles away; after sending tons of pix and videos ( incl magnet test for bondo) the guy would say " Well, I have to figure how to go look at it" then never call back. I suggested to guys that there are services that will go look at a car, and better yet, if they're a member of a collecting club, find a member within 50 miles and I'll take the car. 

Oh well, live and learn. And I will continue to be a member here and monitor all the great info and advice I've seen over the last 6 years. And you never know, if I find a "sleeper....."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How did the local buyer find the ad? Or see in person. It looks like from eBay by reading your post. 

I am working on selling some Rivieras and find the newer $100 eBay reserve price tag to be a bit high (even if car does not sell they charge). For that price may as well used that money to list vehicle on other forums and restructure auction. 

To find the correct vehicle I will go into other countries. Got a couple from Canada for example. Of course best to see in person and deal with cash always.

Gabriel

1 hour ago, rocky5517 said:

Car has been sold. Took about 8-9 weeks. Finally got a local buyer. What a PITA! 

Congrats Rocky. 

Can't go wrong with silver and black.

And it takes time to find the right suit.

I bought my last 4 used cars long distance. Two never have visited prior to purchase. Did my homework and just got the right vibe from the sellers.

Perhaps I paid too much but no lemons ever and I was happy.

Whats that station wagon you have? Nice.

We are a wagon family here.

Stay in touch.

• Like 1

Chimera... most action including the successful one, was from Hemmings on line. Had a heck of a time getting the listing right on E-bay/ they have different programs. Mine wasn't an auction, was listed under "Sell it Now". I guess once you master how e-bay works it's easy but I was on the phone with them twice for a total of about 50 minutes. And beware if the first thing someone asks is " Do you have Pay Pal"? Scammers. 

By the way, someone ( Jason  I think) had mentioned that there are sellers from overseas looking for these cars. The guy who bought my car sold a 64 Merc to a guy from Norway or somewhere nearby. As if on cue, 4 hrs after the sale wetn thru I get a message from a guy from Norway looking for a 66 or 67 and was prepared to fly here. I suggested he join the ROA first thing, then look for a private owner, not a dealer. I volunteered to look at one if it's within 50 miles. His concern was that he needs one that doesn't need much work because of lack of parts and mechanics over there. Too bad he waited on mine- it was perfect for him. I suggested he lean towards a 67 only because of better chance of finding parts and mechanics for the 430 than the nailhead.  If anyone has a clean 67 in good repair PM me and I'll forward to you his info.

PS in case you're wondering I got $16,000 for mine. Thought it was worth $17,500 but then again we all think they're worth more. I got 6 great years out of it.

I also will be selling my Star Wars air cleaner along with a new (repro) set of door sills, and a re-chromed hood spear from a 66 in case anyone's interested.

• Like 1