Need some electrical help please

baking

On my 70 Skylark convertible the turn signals have started acting up. When I use the signal the front lights work correctly, but on the back both tailights will flash. If I hit the brakes the brake lights come on, but the driver's side is dim. I pulled each bulb on the driver side but it didn't help. Is there a common area for this to short out or can someone give me some tips on where to start looking?

Thanks,

Brian

That sounds like a bad ground or a bad lamp socket. Take some sandpaper or a small file and clean the rust and corrosion off of the inside and outside of the lamp sockets. I can't remember if these are self-grounded or if they have a ground wire to each socket, but clean off the connection where the ground wire is grounded, or clean off the metal edge of the socket if the socket is self-grounded.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Ector, Texas

Check that the correct bulbs have been installed. This sounds dumb but my friend had the dash lights come on when ever he hit the brakes. Turns out instead of a 1157 someone installed a single pole lamp. But since you are getting juice I have to agree with the first post. Sounds like a bad ground or contact has crud on it.

I'm going to assume the bulbs are correct since I've had the car about 3 years and no turn signal problems. I pulled 2 bulbs from the driver side tail light last night and the socket looked pretty new. However, I will check all of them tonite when I get home. Is there an easier way to get at the tail light bulbs? I took the screws out of the tail light, but it didn't budge and I didn't want to force it. The only way I could reach it was from underneath the car up behind the bumper. My arms are too fat and short. smile.gif

Thanks for the tips!!

Thanks for the help.

I looked at it tonite. Removed and cleaned all the sockets and bulbs one by one with no difference. I disconnected the tail light harness from the main harness in the trunk. Every connection on the connector in the tail light harness showed continuity. I pulled the harness out and tested again to see if a wire was rubbing the chassis, but it's still all shorted out. It got late so I will dig into it deeper this weekend.

Thanks for all the help,

Brian King

grin.gif

If you have a short (hot wire +) , you will blow a fuse. If you have a bad ground (-) you will not blow a fuse. My money is on the flasher units. Replace them both if you also have the 4 ways. I just went though this 3 weeks ago. The one taillight bulb was very dim however the flashers did work, then a few days later they also stopped blinking. Put a new flasher in and everything worked perfect and the cost was $4.

Beware when using a tester with the bulbs in as it will read though the filament and read as a dead short. Remove the bulbs and test the wires from the socket contact to the end of the harness wire/terminal.

Well, it's fixed. I think the problem was with a bulb. It never occurred to me that just because it would light that it means it's good. Since they're dual filament one of the filaments could be dead and it'd still light. Also, the ground had a little rust, but didn't look too bad. Anyway, I replaced all the bulbs, cleaned up the ground and life is good. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it......... smile.gif