Mike Macartney

REPORTS ON A 1914 HUMBERETTE RESTORATION

Mike, hope you feel better. The car is coming along nicely. Coming out of the oven, it looked like Piston pot pie! 

• Like 2

Mike, 

It is impressive that you are well on your way to get your new mfg. pistons ready for fitment onto your original rods and all is looking good.  You will have a nice Humberette "hot rod" when finished!

Al

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well Ted, I am still alive and kicking and just about to finish yet another course of antibiotics and steroids. I don't recommend these 'short vacations' to Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. For most of my life I have been lucky enough to manage to steer clear of hospitals. This episode started when Jane suggested that I needed to go and see the doctor as I was not too good after my green paint juggling incident and clearing up the mess afterwards. Jane made an appointment for me but it was a week later. Last Wednesday, I went to our local surgery in the village, and the doctor sent me straight to hospital, as my breathing was so bad. After spending two nights in there, they chucked me out on Friday. It felt as if I had been in there for two weeks!

One of the problems with COPD is that it does not get better, every time you have, what they call an 'exasperation', your breathing capabilities go down a notch. I had hoped that when I gave up smoking, at the end of September, my breathing may have improved a bit. I have another visit to the Doc's on Wednesday and I have decided that it is best to stay out of the workshop and in the warm until after my next visitation to the local surgery.

Of course my breathing problems maybe caused by drinking this!

689179702_Coronavirus.thumb.jpg.6e5962f4471f3a97d0df40470f8f840e.jpg

I know the Coronavirus is not a laughing matter but I have to admit this photo did amuse me. Perhaps, I've got a warped sense of humour!?

34 minutes ago, Mike Macartney said:

Perhaps, I've got a warped sense of humour!?

You need to have one! I hope for you that you will recover soon.

• Thanks 2

Maybe. But to go from scale 1:1 to something smaller is more difficult than the contrary. I noticed that when I was restoring my first car. OK, parts are heavy, but when I came back to modelling during the winter, I had some difficulties with tiny parts and needed some time to be again confident.

Anyway, if you decide to follow this route and need help like "how to do", I'm here!

• Thanks 1

Just take it easy for a while Mike until you really feel better. Don’t push it. Here on the east coast there’s a joke,  “What goes good with the Corona virus? Lyme disease! You see, we’re all a little twisted at times.😁

• Haha 3

Hello Mike,

I wish you a fast recovery, COPD and paints are not the best combination I can imagine.  Thirty five years ago, I got floored by using phenol resorcinol glue, I nearly choked. Since then, I am highly allergic for the stuff. So my (needless) advice: stay away from those paints, as solvents in the paint find their way in your body through the unprotected skin.

Best regards,

Harm

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sloth said:

So my (needless) advice: stay away from those paints

Harm, I definitely need telling and reminding!

I must admit that I have now decided that I need to treat, what is left of my lungs, like 'gold dust'  Jane has offered to do any dusty clearing up, painting etc. for me. I am going to buy some new filters for my air fed Powercap and make sure I wear it when grinding. I now know my days of being 'gung ho' about things like that must stop. I am also going to get somebody else to finish repairing and painting the wings (fenders) for the Humberette. I am really enjoying learning and carrying out the machining work so I am going to concentrate on that side of the restoration. 

Much to Janes consternation, I bought a couple of machines yesterday on eBay, a Bridgeport Mill and a Jones and Shipman Surface Grinder. Although old, they look as if they have been well looked after. The next problem is getting them collected and delivered to me. I then need to sell the old Archdale mill and old surface grinder to make room for them in the workshop.

581624358_BridgestonemillromKetech.jpg.dbc3ddd00fd08d2e38e0e12d287ffde3.jpg

I hope I have enough height in the workshop for this Bridgeport milling machine, otherwise it may end up a bit of an embarrassment for me! It comes with loads of tooling and accessories. It says on the plate Bridgeport and underneath Adcock-Shipley. It was a spur of the moment bid, so I need to find out more about these machines.

425340905_JonesShipmanSurfacegrinderanddustextract.thumb.jpg.a30e2189f15da1f669398ed1f0c8723a.jpg

The Jones and Shipman grinder comes with dust extract, about 12 grinding wheels and a balancer.

Life's not worth living if you can't have some toys to play with! As you can probably tell from the above, I am now feeling better than I have done for months.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Sorry to hear you've had a rough go lately but glad to hear you're feeling better and have some nice new toys to play with (well... when you get them home and sorted).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Jeff for your kind words. You too, have had a rough time, I hope your shoulder is starting to recover properly and that you will soon be back up to full strength.

The new, well, new to me, machines are being delivered next Wednesday morning. Until then, Jane and I are having a good clear up, to make some room for moving the old machines out and the new ones in. I think it maybe a week or two before I am back working on the Humberette as I have a lot of tools and equipment that I will put on eBay.

Mike,  Hope you are feeling better.  Take your time to heal, we can wait. You are in my prayers. John

• Thanks 1

John, many thanks for your kind words and thoughts. I have managed to do a bit in the workshop this week. Jane has been wonderful. She has been tidying up the workshop and cleaning up my old milling machine and surface grinder that I am putting on eBay. She would not let me do that in case I breathed in some dust or fumes. I used to joke that I would swop her for two women half her age, I don't think I could cope with younger models now! :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Mike Macartney said:

John, many thanks for your kind words and thoughts. I have managed to do a bit in the workshop this week. Jane has been wonderful. She has been tidying up the workshop and cleaning up my old milling machine and surface grinder that I am putting on eBay. She would not let me do that in case I breathed in some dust or fumes. I used to joke that I would swop her for two women half her age, I don't think I could cope with younger models now! :)

I realized long ago one is enough trouble, never mind two!  Besides, mine does a really good job of being spectacular most of the time. Of course, there are those times.......................😟

• Like 2

I thought about venturing out to the workshop today to have a go at doing a little bit on the Humberette. The problem is it is 'blowing a hooley' outside with 70mph winds, thunderstorms are forecast for later today. Perhaps, I will sort out and file my Humberette paperwork instead.

Edited by Mike Macartney (see edit history)

41 minutes ago, Mike Macartney said:

The problem is it is 'blowing a hooley' outside with 70mph winds, thunderstorms are forecast for later today.

This kind of weather is expected in Switzerland for tomorrow!

• Like 1

Hello Mike, no damage done I hope? At the moment Ciara -the storm that is😃- is blowing mightily over here. Two threes down and a lot of flying branches, and way to much water in the trenches. No Cleveland work today.

• Like 1

No damage here, trees down and power cuts. Hoping that you two have survived the storm OK in Holland and Switzerland. Harm, we had a lot of rain also, with the storm, the road at the front of barn flooded but luckily drained away reasonably quickly. The filing of the Humberette paperwork took very little time yesterday. why had I put it off for so long?

• Like 1

This night it was windy; still is but not so strong. It should continue till tomorrow. It's not cold, we have rain and right now sunshine...

• Like 1

Thanks for your post, Laughing Coyote. We live on the east coast of England about 3hrs north of London and near a coastal town called Cromer. We are protected from the weather coming in from the Atlantic by the rest of the country. Wales and the west coast of England and Scotland have had it worst. A lot of rivers have overflowed their banks and a lot of homes have been flooded. It must be pretty horrible being flooded at anytime, but even worse when it is very windy and cold.

On a brighter note, although my breathing isn't brilliant, I am able to go into the workshop each day for a short while. 

2628.thumb.jpg.505c31191282021619de878bf3ef80ff.jpg

Last Wednesday, the Bridgeport milling machine and Jones and Shipman surface grinder were delivered. The two guys from Emcon were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble for them and they removed my old mill and grinder before placing the new (well, new to me) machines in the workshop. As you can see, from me leaning on the gate, I was exhausted just watching them work! My friend Robert came down to help, he untied ropes and sheets while the Emcon guys moved my machines outside the workshop.

Earlier that morning I had an offer on my Archdale milling machine. that I said I would accept. The buyer said he could not arrange collection for a couple of weeks. I told him that a company called Emcon was delivering my replacement machines today.  He messaged back to say that he had contacted Emcon, as the company was only situated 20 miles away from where he lived, they would take the Archdale mill back with them. He then transferred the money for the mill by PayPal. How lucky was that, for both of us!

2639.thumb.jpg.3ffa058035844116896a75945874d8e3.jpg

The mill and surface grinder safely in the workshop.

The company selling the 2 machines were downsizing and moving to a smaller premises. On studying one of the photos, which showed a rotary table that was going to come with the mill . . . .

1374750193_BridgestonetoolsfromKetechb.jpg.9a8a348f42c8b7a064f13d6fb12fa7c4.jpg

. . . . I spied these items 1. 2. & 3.  and asked if they came with the Bridgeport? The reply came back that it was all going to be 'weighed in' as scrap! I quickly emailed back to say "I  hate seeing good usable stuff sent for scrap, is there any chance of having it?"

What turned up with the machines was . . . .

2640.thumb.jpg.383305cc499c348b89ee025a46f5bca4.jpg

. . . . this. Three pallets stacked with tooling. I rang and thanked them for their generosity. What a lucky boy I am.

I now have days, maybe weeks, of work trying to sort out the stuff and finding somewhere to put it. I did manage to get it in the workshop before the bad weather came.

On Thursday morning, I heard this sporty sounding engine and opened the door to see this arriving outside my workshop.

2635.thumb.jpg.40255a27cf6d7c238a0a8a877bc2ddfe.jpg

I have never seen one of these in Norfolk before. . . . What is it?

2633.thumb.jpg.240447729e323b7665b3f14d02dd5188.jpg

A McLaren.

2631.thumb.jpg.57ab354760eebce7fd40ec9676bee007.jpg

Hmmm, I think I might struggle to get in this!

• Like 1