FI Unit for 89 Suburban Fuel Consumption Upgrades

I have an 89 3/4 ton Suburban with the TH 400 transmission. I do hauling with it mostly.  I'm investigating options for the FI unit on the truck.  Van gets only about 11 miles to the gallon, no matter if I'm towing or not. Aside from an upgraded FI unit, I have heard of a torque converter for hauling and RV applications. Before I make a move, thought I'd ask members of this forum for their thoughts and suggestions.

The truck has been bulletproof. Has never stranded me, always starts, regular maintenance.  Thanks very much for your help.

• 1 month later...

11MPG for a 3/4 ton truck is about  normal for that vehicle.  Very true if is has a big block engine in it.   Friends that have that truck like you say it is bullet proof, is a great stump puller and always gets 11MPG.  Not sure I would try to put FI on the vehicle since you have said

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:17 PM, Misterbuickguy said:

The truck has been bulletproof. Has never stranded me, always starts, regular maintenance

Newer vehicles similar to yours do not get much better fuel economy from what I have been told.  They are designed to work and tow big trailers.

• 10 months later...

Sorry for the late reply. I have 2-1961 Buicks, plus a 64 Buick Skylark Wagon which I am trying to sell. Am restoring my 61 LeSabre Convertible. The 64 is rare, as it is a 64 early Skylark Wagon. As far as I can tell, 64 only year for a Skylark wagon. Have a ton of NOS parts for it. My age and health force sale of this gem. Want it to go to a good home. 

• 2 weeks later...