Questions/Help Flocked Division Channel Replacement

Riviera63

I need to replace the flocked division channel on the backside of the vent window post and have some questions for anyone that has done this. Can this be accomplished with the vent window assembly in place or will I need to remove the vent window assembly from the door? How is the that channel held in place? Any pitfalls or problems I might encounter that I need to be prepared for? I see that both Steele Rubber and Rubber the Right Way sells the replacement kits. Has anyone had experience with either one? Any help, tips or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

Doing the vent window channel felts is a pain in the ass, mostly because the repros do not fit right.  I have done at least half a dozen and they are all difficult.  You can do them with the vent window still in the car, but it comes out a lot better if you take them out and do them.  Expect a lot of precision trimming at the top where it dead ends and plan on a thin bead of weatherstriing adhesive in the channel to keep it together.  PM me, will give you my # and can guide you through it.

Thought I would post a couple of pictures to show the area I am talking about. DualQuadDave has graciously offered to guide me through the process and I will gladly accept his help. I still would like to hear from others about their experiences and where they sourced the replacements. I have only seen Steele Rubber and Rubber the Right Way carrying replacements. Is one better than the other? Are there any others that carry replacements? Thanks.

Bill

IMG_4391.JPG

IMG_4392.JPG

• 1 year later...

Hey Bill   just been doing this job today on my 63. The little end cap that screws into the top of the division post - last pic... How did you cut the division post channel rubber to fit??  On an angle or just a straight chop? Mine seems to be an ugly fit. CARS Inc kit.

Cant quite make it out on your pic. Would you mind showing it looking straight on?

Cheers

Matt

3 hours ago, powerage said:

Hey Bill   just been doing this job today on my 63. The little end cap that screws into the top of the division post - last pic... How did you cut the division post channel rubber to fit??  On an angle or just a straight chop? Mine seems to be an ugly fit. CARS Inc kit.

Cant quite make it out on your pic. Would you mind showing it looking straight on?

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

I don't know how far along in the process you are. I did a write up in the March/April 2019 Riview that may help with your replacement. It needs to be cut at a 45 degree angle. I made up a little device to help me make sure that I got a nice even cut as I did not trust myself to do it free hand. I can tell you how I devised that if you need. The originals were one piece with that end cap attached. When you do the final fit you will need to apply some weatherstrip adhesive so that the two pieces mate together as one like the original. I will be glad to answer any other questions you have. 

Bill

Window Felt Channel Labeled.jpg

IMG_4487.JPG

IMG_4488.JPG

Thanks Bill  thats the idea I had too  just wanna get the angle of the cut right. I am checking and planning and measuring etc before I make that cut! These strips are pretty damn pricey once you add shipping to New Zealand. I'll check out your write up in the Riview and let you know if I need more help

Thank's again

Matt