Curti

What happened to the video ?

There was 10-20 minute video posted in general discussion taken from the back of a pickup going down Sunset Boulevard (or similar in California)  some time in the mid to late 30's   . 

The search doesn't pull it up, and I looked thru 8 pages inn the video section to no avail.

Hi Curt. It was Wilshire Boulevard. Enter Wilshire in the search box, and click on Cruising Wilshire Boulevard. I enjoyed that one very much too.   -   Carl 

That is it !!!    Unfortunately MACS motor City Garage cannot locate it

A few different people have posted the film on the 

YouTube website.  I found it by searching YouTube

for "Cruising Wilshire Boulevard in 1935."

Here is a link to one user's entry:

• Like 2

In some towns, very little would have changed since 1935,

and many of the buildings would be recognizable today.

In other places, especially urban areas, the change could

be tremendous.

Does this 1935 site look much the same today? 

Unfortunately it does not look anywhere near the same today. LA has a horrible habit of tearing down everything, every couple of decades and "reinventing" itself. It all started with grinding away Bunker Hill for an urban renewal program. With all the cool history LA and Hollywood have, they tend to save very little of it. If Bogie showed up tomorrow, he wouldn't recognize the place!

At least Old Faithful still looks the same! It was cool to see that at the end of the film.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

1 hour ago, GregLaR said:

Unfortunately it does not look anywhere near the same today. LA has a horrible habit of tearing down everything, every couple of decades and "reinventing" itself. It all started with grinding away Bunker Hill for an urban renewal program. With all the cool history LA and Hollywood have, they tend to save very little of it. If Bogie showed up tomorrow, he wouldn't recognize the place!

I couldn't help but notice all the vacant lots on the other side of the sidewalks in the old footage. Bob 

Here is a video of Market St. 1906. I may have posted it before but worth the effort seeing all the early brass cars. Surprising there were so many cars in one place back then when you consider how many years cars were being produced by 1906 . 

• Like 1

I particularly liked what looks like a Packard dealership around the 2:54 mark. 

191778923_ScreenShot2018-08-03at12_12_56AM.thumb.png.d1bfd5b09615a75ef4b35f7d684e6b8e.png

I'm not positive, but I wonder if that is 1626 Wilshire Blvd. Santa Monica, CA, which was built in 1928 and switched from being a Packard dealership to being a Mercedes dealership in 1957 as Packard was folding.  Picture today:

1492749387_ScreenShot2018-08-03at12_25_21AM.thumb.png.8f935c1851acd72a4609052d61404112.png 

UPDATE: Actually, scratch that.  Looks like the Mercedes dealer above looked like this in 1934, which doesn't quite match the building in the video:

300711740_ScreenShot2018-08-03at12_33_30AM.thumb.png.bb934ef2e5b133bf206d076f2c312336.png

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Correct. The building is still part of the venerable W.I. Simonson M-B complex in Santa Monica. That would have been where 540Ks were sold in California back then. I am fortunate in having had Stan Sax as my service advisor there. That reminds me to check whether he is still working after pushing 40 years with M-B. Not all service advisors are created equal. Stan is at the very top. I had a newbie up in Santa Rosa, smart, but inexperienced young lady, who should not have been assigned to a V12 R129 so early in her career. She had to be coached through phone and email by the very finest of all service personnel I have dealt with in my entire life, regardless of professional realm. I had the good fortune in having Lisa Reager as my very first M-B service advisor in Seattle. I had to prevail upon her to "learn up"' Ms. Santa Rosa on how to diagnose the transmission. Young lassie did not even understand why one must check the TCM when you go so far as to have to replace the conductor plate. Oh, anyway, the whole miserable affair ripped me off for $10,500. Down the drain at absolutely no fault of my own.

Errrggggg. I probably should delete some of that, but, no. I believe the section of Wilshire in the video is East of Western (I think I recognize the large building far, just to the right of center - N.E. corner of Wilshire and Western ? - am I correct, Greg ?). The drive continues to the beginning of the gentle "S" curve  as you begin to skirt the park. You are almost to downtown by this point. Now going the opposite direction, you will arrive at the must see "Pete'". It would be on the left side, going West, at the intersection of Fairfax. The George C. Page Museum in the LA Brea Tar Pits is also a must see for those who are curious about such things.

Maybe I should mention another Wilshire location, now owned by the school system. If you go South, off Wilshire on Catalina, you will see the school facility on your right. Of the buildings razed in L.A., another landmark used to stand there. The Ambassador Hotel. For a few years, during the time it was awaiting demolition, I would stop and spend some time sadly gazing at it. 50 years ago I was just about to turn 24 in a month on Argentine Independence Day, July 9th. I was working as an "aviation electronics engineer", a position awarded me for having the only, then current, hands on relevant  Boeing heavy jet transport experience in the entire  Pacific Airmotive  Corporation. They had just signed a 727 modification contract considered impossible in the time allowed. I came on the project to help preserve the company. What incredible good fortune for me. It was truly a "Forrest Gump" chapter in my life. We were at the Hollywood - Burbank (Now Bob Hope), Airport just across the runway from Kelly Johnson's Lockheed Skunk Works. California Primary election returns night found me watching in my apartment at 7500 Laurel Canyon. I am one of a relatively few people in the world who actually saw it happen live. It was horrifying. After he turned and left the podium, where the footage always ends, the feed was actually cut, and T.V. went to test patern. Most people do not enjoy watching test patterns, and switched their sets off. I didn't. By and by, the feed came back on, just as you always see, in the kitchen. I short circuited. I had just seen history in appalling real-time. I don't think I have been the same since. You all have seen THAT Wilshire Boulevard video.  -  Carl........................ Perhaps I should delete this paragraph too. I think I'll go to bed instead. It is very late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Every time I see the Wilshire Blvd. film I'm surprised that in 1935 in California that almost all the cars in the traffic scene are closed cars. You see more roadsters and touring cars in the side shots but only a handful have the tops down. Probably seems strange because in the movies made back then such cars were always shown with the tops down! 

C Carl, you have clearly spent some time here.

TexRiv,

That is a good observation. Perhaps the film was shot in Jan/Feb when it's a little cooler out. The sunshine is pretty constant but the temps can fluctuate. Average yearly temperature for January is usually a "chilly" 68 degrees, brrrrrr! :lol:

(More embarrassing, over here in Palm Springs the average winter temp is in the low to mid 70's. It's common to see the locals out in parkas, stocking caps and boots, and their dogs wrapped up in doggie winter wear......I swear this is true. Well, if you've invested in the wardrobe you simply must find a time and place to wear it!)

California is so weird sometimes.:(

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, GregLaR said:

C Carl, you have clearly spent some time here.

TexRiv,

That is a good observation. Perhaps the film was shot in Jan/Feb when it's a little cooler out. The sunshine is pretty constant but the temps can fluctuate. Average yearly temperature for January is usually a "chilly" 68 degrees, brrrrrr! :lol:

(More embarrassing, over here in Palm Springs the average winter temp is in the low to mid 70's. It's common to see the locals out in parkas, stocking caps and boots, and their dogs wrapped up in doggie winter wear......I swear this is true. Well, if you've invested in the wardrobe you simply must find a time and place to wear it!)

California is so weird sometimes.:(

Absolutely true.

I visit my brother in PS on occasion. Usually winter.

I am the crazy guy from Oregon with the t-shirt on in December.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1