Looking for feedback

Looks very good.

How far away can you read it? How do you plan to mount it? It needs to be high enough and tilted so people don't have to bend down?

Will anybody know what a sliding gear transmission is? Or steeldraulic brakes? Hopefully you will be asked! How about "side valve" rather than the colloquial "flat head"? I think I would remove "OF" from each of the first two lines.

I would put the model name up at the top, but I do understand how it will upset the balance. As it is, we get to the bottom and then see Standard Six and are left wondering a bit what that is - some kind of industry classification or ...?

How will it look in the sun and in other light conditions? Ergonomically, black on white is easier to read but nowhere near as pretty.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

I'd eliminate the compression ration, that's a fairly useless piece of information to the general public.  Weren't Dodge bodies still all steel in 1928?  I'd add that fact, instead.

Yes and no. The floor is wood, the roof is a rubber material. All steel? The framework is all steel and the body panels are not bolted to wood like a model "T" . I thought of changing compression ratio to "hand crank or electric start" but I'm undecided. I'm a mechanic, I like the engine specs most of all!

I will change "flat head" to "side valve"

WPC took control of Dodge Brothers in mid 1928 I think. Perhaps 1 June? I believe the sale and purchase agreement was signed in 1927.

It looks like Taylormade is onto it. Use a vector graphics program to make up the logo; I use Inkscape for this purpose. Linework is smooth and not pixellated at any scale.

"L-head" is a bit obscure I think.

I agree with the all-steel Budd body idea. That is how they were advertised. What other features were hyped up in their advertising of the car? If you want compression ratio, 5.2:1 is enough. It is a nominal figure anyway and the second decimal place is meaningless. Remember, not everyone looking at the sign will be a mechanic.

Up here in Canada I would always put both English and metric measurements, also imperial and US gallons as well as litres.  Well maybe not.  On further thinking about it I would use the factory numbers.

My sons are 51 and 49.  The older one has no trouble translating English to metric or vice versa in his head but the younger one only learned metric in school.  A gallon or a quart or a cubic inch does not compute in his mind.

In the US of A I personally would use the measurements that WPC used in advertising and operators manual.  That would make it really simple and correct, after all we are talking about 1928.  Let others like my son for example look it up themselves and convert measurements or ask you.

Great looking signs, both of them.

4 hours ago, Taylormade said:

How about this?  PM me and I may be able to help with this.

dsign.jpg.5a6f2f232c2e008cc2ce5cf72833318c.jpg

PM sent. I placed the order earlier today. If I can I will change it to your logo. If not, I'm still happy with the one I did. It was black and white. I added the color to it. It's not 100% correct but neither is my car. Same logo on my motometer so it ties in. 

4 hours ago, Taylormade said:

How about this?  PM me and I may be able to help with this.

dsign.jpg.5a6f2f232c2e008cc2ce5cf72833318c.jpg

It was actually just an online template for a plastic yard sign from vistaprint.ca the border is nice but beyond what the template offered. I'm sure I could add it if I played around with it enough. I can live with how it is, but really like what you did with it! It was really pretty cheap. If I was having it cast in bronze I would certainly have weighed my options better

Flathead 6 is understandable to everyone I know.

Flat, in engine terms, apparently indicates an opposed engine which I learned only recently.

I couldn't figure out what the heck is a FLAT engine....... :wacko:

I always called them what they are: opposed

• Like 1

It is  incorrect to say that the 1928 Dodge is all steel. The inner panels of the rear side windows are all wood, The frame for the tub is all wood and has curves that must be cut accurately, The back window frame is all wood but the stamping of the back window is such that it is possible to follow the outline and cut the wood accordingly. The top rails are wood and has a compound bend. Further up there are 2 (one on each side ) also compound bends for nailing the canvass. The rear cross piece is curved at both ends and must sit on the rails. The front piece top of the wind shield is the worst. It has compound shape I am spending months trying to make these pieces not to mention how many pieces spoilt. One thing I discovered is the wood frame was erected and then the sheet metal  installed. There are torch burns on the wood in spots by welding the sheet metal. Shaping the wood pieces costing me months and months . It must be done correctly if not nothing else will fit. I will never attempt another one. There is a wood frame shaped like a ladder that must be bolted to the metal chassis on top of which the wood  floor is mounted

The logo on the rad is octagonal and with the words "senior"    I wish I knew how to send pictures on this forum of my project

• Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 2:59 PM, David_Leech said:

Having a sign printed up for my 28 standard six to display when I do car shows.

Please have a look at this and suggest any edits

It will be 18x24 corrugated plastic sign board

pastedImage001.png

This is nice. I’ll want to do one of these when I’m done with my build. 

On 8/8/2018 at 11:42 AM, trini said:

It is  incorrect to say that the 1928 Dodge is all steel. The inner panels of the rear side windows are all wood, The frame for the tub is all wood and has curves that must be cut accurately, The back window frame is all wood but the stamping of the back window is such that it is possible to follow the outline and cut the wood accordingly. The top rails are wood and has a compound bend. Further up there are 2 (one on each side ) also compound bends for nailing the canvass. The rear cross piece is curved at both ends and must sit on the rails. The front piece top of the wind shield is the worst. It has compound shape I am spending months trying to make these pieces not to mention how many pieces spoilt. One thing I discovered is the wood frame was erected and then the sheet metal  installed. There are torch burns on the wood in spots by welding the sheet metal. Shaping the wood pieces costing me months and months . It must be done correctly if not nothing else will fit. I will never attempt another one. There is a wood frame shaped like a ladder that must be bolted to the metal chassis on top of which the wood  floor is mounted

The logo on the rad is octagonal and with the words "senior"    I wish I knew how to send pictures on this forum of my project

In 1928 the series 128  four cylinder and the Standard Six and the Victory Six all had all steel bodies , the only wood that was used was to hold the trim  and the insert for the roof . The Senior for this year was a wood and steel coach body built by Murphy for Dodge Brothers .  So it is correct to say that Dodge Brothers had all steel bodies in this year and the years before these . bob