Rick Marsh

Help with 1931 axle seal

I have a 1931 Chrysler CM6 that has developed a leak in the right rear. It appears to be a worn axle seal.  Other vehicles I've owned had an axle seal that was either a rubber core or leather.  My parts book tells me this is a two part assembly consisting of a felt seal about 1/2" thick  Pn 43053  and a oil seal retainer Pn 43004.    Has anyone else been down this road?  I would like to pull the old part out but, obviously, I do not wish to damage the retainer.  The axle also has two bearing, back to back with races.  The race with the outer bearing comes out with the axle. The inner race is still firmly inside the axle housing.

I am assuming someone has been down this road before.  What did you learn?

Thanks,  Rick Marsh

1931 Chrysler rear axle housing.jpg

Yep. Same as Dodge 8.

You can replace it with a modern double lip seal, or make a new one. Pull it and the bearing cup out with a slide hammer. You can separate the inner and outer steel parts of the felt seal and make a new felt for it. It will need some straightening, however!

I found a NAK seal, TC 1.375 x 2.323 x 0.437. Its callup number is the size, as given here. Very pricey... 12 NZD plus postage.

Make yourself a tube of OD just less than the OD of the seal to drive it in STRAIGHT. You only get one chance at this. You should use a similar tube on the bearing cup to get it straight.

If the sealing surface of the axle is pitted, fit a "kwik sleeve" or similar. Mine was a "Wear-Pro" sleeve. 50 NZD plus fitting by a shop with a press.

Not sure what the "retainer gasket" 43004 is.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the response.  I have a slide hammer and am going after an adapter for the proper hook to do the pull.   The two part numbers I referenced were from my parts book and I am going by the description with no supporting pictures.  I am assuming that the felt is pn 43053  and the retainer 43004 would be the round metal receiver.

I'll do the pull this weekend and then start chasing down a replacement seal.

Thanks again,

Rick Marsh

7 hours ago, Rick Marsh said:

I have a slide hammer and am going after an adapter for the proper hook to do the pull. 

I managed to use a pair of fingers from the slide hammer set. From memory, they may have been the middle sized ones (my kit has three sets). The others are either too short or too big. It is quite a fiddle getting them in and adjusted before you use the hammer and adjustment is needed between blows. A support for the hammer is useful (e.g. your second pair of hands).

I looked all over to find replacement axle seals. Most sources are unable to look up a replacement based on OD and axle dia.  Then I found Darryl Zimmerman at EX Bearing in Litiz, Pa.  It took him a whole ten minutes or maybe less to find the necessary seals.  My 1931 Chrysler is back on the road.  Darryl can be reached at 717-568-8800.   or bearings@ptd.net

I think the seals can be found at Rare Parts or Then and Now parts.

6 hours ago, Rick Marsh said:

I looked all over to find replacement axle seals. Most sources are unable to look up a replacement based on OD and axle dia. 

I am very surprised. I phoned one shop in Auckland and they came up with the NAK seal. It was sent from their branch in New Plymouth.

IMO, the bearing shop is not very good at using their books or computer listings if they can't look up a size. The makers all have dimensions "books" online.