1929 Desoto K engine

Wes Rinella

I have a 1929 Fargo with a Desoto K 6 cyl engine.  The engine was completely rebuilt a long time ago.  I have always experienced Radiator problems.  When the engine warms up it runs at around 175 degrees.  The radiator cap is holding tight but I get a 1/2 a pint or so running out the overflow tube when the engine is turned off. After a few short runs water/antifreeze exits the radiator via the tube inside the radiator when I stop.  I am constantly needing to add water to the system daily after just a few runs.  Question can I block off the tube so water stays in the radiator?  The tube can be seen when you remove the cap.  It is inside the radiator about 3/8 in. from the cap. The only other solution I thought to try, short of capping it off, would be to raise the tube higher in the radiator to bleed off less water.  I can hear water bubbling in the system when the engine is turned off and then it overflows out the tube.  Modern radiators have the tube installed in the side of the radiator inlet and the cap has a pressure release seal  that must be opened at a set pressure before the water is allowed to run out of the system.  My cap is just a flat cap.  No way to prevent overflow at any pressure.  I had the radiator core replaced.  Maybe they installed the tube wrong?  Temp checked with a laser temp gauge.  New thermostat changed twice to see if one was defective.  I'm assuming 175 is a ok running temp on a warm to hot day.  Wouldn't know how to get the engine to run cooler.  Internal timing is right engine and cooling system is clear and recently flushed.  Any suggestions, greatly appreciated.  Wes

DSCN0939.JPG

Firstly, the water level should be 1.5 to 2" below the cap. Leave it for a couple of times and see where it sits. It should be above the top of the radiator tubes but not full to the brim.

Secondly. 175 oF is a good running temp for your vehicle.

Thirdly, it is an unpressurised system, quite different to modern system. It has to be run "open" so water can escape if it has to.

• Like 1