gwells

Some AACA forum basics

As a member of the mod team, it's clear to me that some members are a little confused or unknowing about some of the basic ways to interact with both the membership and the moderator team, so perhaps a little tutorial might be useful.

For the majority of members, this post will be too basic, but I believe it will be of interest to more than a few.

The 'Report Post' button - what's it for?

Many members seem unsure about the proper use of the 'Report Post' button. See below.

reportbutton.jpg

This button is to bring a post to the attention of the moderation team, say, a spam post or an objectionable post. When a post is 'reported,' the only people who see the report are the moderators. The report is not seen by the original poster or regular members.

The main point that needs to be emphasized is that the 'Report Post' button is not a way to reply to a member's post! Many members making reports made seem to believe that is the case.

The 'Private Message' (PM) system - how use it?

The AACA forum has a private message system that allows members to communicate privately among themselves. Private messages will often be referred to as PMs.

To access the PM system, click on the 'envelope' icon at the top RH corner of any forum page. See below.

envelopeicon.jpg

When you click on the envelope icon, the following pop-up window opens.

openenvelope.jpg

This window shows your recent PMs (IIRC). You can start a new PM to a member by clicking on the black 'Compose New' button at the top right, which will open a new blank private message; see below. You will need to enter the required info and hit the 'Send' button to transmit the PM to the member whose display name you entered in the 'To' field.

blankpm.jpg

If you click on the 'Go to Inbox' circled in red in the third image above, you get this window. You can access of all your PMs by scrolling down the list on the left. You can also reply to any highlighted PM in this window by entering text in the 'Reply to this conversation' field and pressing the return key.

inbox.jpg

But the most useful and easiest way to PM a member is to hold your cursor over the member's name on the left side of the post. This pops-up a profile window and if you click on the 'Message' button (see below), a pre-addressed blank PM will open where you can enter a private message to that member.

profilepop.jpg

Another very useful button in the profile window is the 'Find Content' button, which allows you to find almost anything a member has posted, with the option to locate threads (topics) he has started or posts he has made to other's threads.

Again, I realize the majority of members know all or most of this already, but it is clear that some do not. Hope there are a few who will find this tutorial to be of interest.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Hi,

I am a newbie to forums. This is the first forum I have joined and any help getting started is appreciated.

How to update your profile would be good.

Mike

• Like 1

Happy to oblige.

Go to the upper righthand corner of any forum page, where you should see your name if you are logged in. See below.

arrow.jpg

Click on the downward-facing arrow after your name and you'll get this window.

dropdown.jpg

Click on 'Profile' and in the upper RH corner of the resulting window, click on 'Edit Profile.'

editprofileclick.jpg

That will bring you to this window where your various profile edit options are accessible.

edit profile.jpg

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

If anyone else needs specific instructions on how to perform certain tasks on the forum, I'll be happy to try to inform.

I don't seem to have that triangle with the exclamation point.

What is that?

That is where a moderator sees that something has been reported. Only moderators have that symbol on their forum page.

• Like 2

Many thanks for the information, it's helped a lot. I will attempt to update my profile. Sorry for the late reply but I forgot to tick the box to notify me of replies!

Mike

• Like 1

Under the userid there is a description, junior member, senior member, etc. There is one member that says 'Highly Questionable Member.' Is this something the moderators attach to a userid?

Curti,

No, the Moderator's did not attach it. The member you reference opted to add it by eliminating Junior, Senior member, etc., and add Highly Questionable Member as humor.

Scroll back to Mike Macartney's query on "Editing a Profile.” Gwells posted how to do this. It is quite easy. Over the years a few people asked why Junior, Senior were assigned: the Junior is affixed to a Newbie and after so many posts to see if they are following the rules of which they agreed to when signing up then the system replaces Junior with Senior.  

Regards,

Peter J.

Peter J,

Thank you for explaining 'Highly Questionable Member'’ Being a new member to the forum and from the UK, I thought it maybe a member not to be trusted. Hence, if there was a link on that members post I did not click on the link in case I downloaded something dodgy onto my computer.

Even at my age you learn something new every day.

Mike 

Was not aware you have been made a part of the mod team @gwells but am certainly glad to see you here as you have promptly helped me several times with some technical aspects  of the the forum. So a late WELCOME to you. Great thread and thanks for taking the time to do it, I am sure it will help many. I will certainly advise the Buick forum folks that it is here.

One little trick that I sometimes use when wishing to tag or make someone aware that I mentioned them in a post is to to use the @ sign followed by that person’s user name, such as I did in the above paragraph. Doing that will notify them that they are being talked about. Of course some may not always wish to let others know they are talking about them. :lol:

Again thanks and look forward to working with you as a mod.

• Like 1

I do believe this one is, Dave. I may sticky the one I made for the Buick forum that refers to this one, too.

On 8/12/2018 at 12:17 AM, Daves1940Buick56S said:

Love this thread! Can we make it a sticky?

Dave,

Mr. Earl is correct that it has been made a sticky. Only difference is the terminology. This forum uses "Pinned" instead of "Sticky."

Regards,

Peter J.

Hi, When you go to the reply part of a message, you should see some blue lettering that says "choose files'. It you click on this it should take you to the picture files on your computer. You then click on the photo, or photo's you want to download to the site, or you can drag the files.  If you are using a smart cell phone, I can't help, as my mobile phone is still the one I originally bought in the year 2000!

This is a copy of what it says in the bottom left hand corner

Drag files here to attach, or choose files... Click to choose files                       

• Like 1

It would be nice if the AACA site accepted the same size photos EVERY OTHER ONE ACCEPTS, but that is just my opinion.

Bob 

Bob,

Let me try a little experiment.

I have an image that is 4,608 pixels wide which, if printed at 300 dpi, would be slightly more than 17 inches wide. I have resized the same image to 3,000, 2,000, 1,000, and 640 pixels wide. Let me see if I can post them here. Here they are, in order, from largest to smallest.

4608.jpg

3000.jpg

2000.jpg

1000.jpg

640.jpg

The top four images are resized by the forum software to a certain display size (I am guessing 800 pixels; I didn't check). The last picture displays at the uploaded size of 640 pixels wide. 

What size pictures are you unable to upload please?

• Like 1

Bob,

This is the second time I have offered to assist you in resolving your picture posting problems at the AACA forums, with no response from you either time. Oh, well...