Looking for Correct Style Jack

Hi All,

I am looking for a period correct jack for my '38 Plymouth, but I'm not really sure what I'm after, whether it's a screw jack or bumper jack.

Can someone please post a picture of the style of jack that would have come with this car?

Thanks in advance, Greg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

I have no clue if this is the correct jack or not.   I found it on eBay.  It covers a lot of cars and a '38 Plymouth is supposed to be one of them.

s-l500.jpg

Here's a link to the eBay ad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38-39-40-Olds-Pontiac-Buick-Dodge-Plymouth-Auscolift-OEM-Bumper-Jack-/372377402371

P.S. There's more close-up pictures on that ad.

Edited by AntiqueCraftsman (see edit history)

That is very similar to the 1938 Buick Jack but it is not quite correct for Buick. Greg, have you checked your owner's manual? Owner's manuals typically have diagrams and instructions showing how to use the jack. It will probably have a picture that will tell you what type of jack came with the car.

In 1938 it appears that car manufacturers were obtaining their jacks from other independent manufacturers.  Is it possible that Plymouth may have obtained different second-sourced jacks for different cars coming off the assembly line in 1938?   Or even possibly different style jacks from the same supplier over the course of the production year?

I found the question intriguing so I've been searching for a photo of a 1938 Plymouth jacks and other than the ebay ad I wasn't able to come up with anything.

I looked in the 1938 Shop Service Manual, but no picture of the jack. 

I couldn't find a 1938 Owners Manual online.  But as someone else mentioned the owners manual typically shows photos of how to use the jack.

I also searched Google Images for 1938 Plymouth Jack (in fact, that's how I found that ebay ad), but that was the only hint of a 1938 Plymouth jack I found..

I even got creative and searched Google Images for "1938 Plymouth Trunk".   I actually found a half a dozen photos of the inside of a 1938 Plymouth trunk.   But none of them had a jack in the trunk.  At least not one that could be seen in the photos.

Usually on the Internet I can often find what I need.  But thus far no compelling photos of a 1938 Plymouth Jack.   Other than the ebay ad, but that seller could be wrong.  He has that jack listed for quite a few different cars.  There's no guarantee that he knows what he's talking about.   He's just trying to sell his jack.

MCHinson,

I should have thought of looking at the owner's manual!

Yes, it appears to be a screw type jack. Thank you.

Greg

James,

I did a very similar search, with the same results.

While the owners manual doesn't actually show a picture of the jack, the instructions say to place it under the axle, so it must be a screw jack.

Thanks for the help.

Greg

1 hour ago, GregLaR said:

MCHinson,

I should have thought of looking at the owner's manual!

Yes, it appears to be a screw type jack. Thank you.

Greg

By "screw type jack", do you mean like the old "bottle" jacks?  I have a couple of those around here not earning their keep (not even as door stops).

Cheers,

Grog

I asked for images of "1938 Plymouth Tool Kit". This purports to be a 1936 kit:

image.thumb.png.b781805d5a0dde714afad717b69e610c.png

Clearly the crank handle is not what you were looking for elsewhere... but the jack style might be similar. Are they different part numbers?

The Dodge Brothers Club magazine ran a series on original factory tools. Is there a Plymouth club? This sounds like a good topic for magazine article(s)!

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Yes, I think this style of jack would be fine.

I'm not after any concours awards.

capngrog, if you have one similar to the one in Spinneyhill's picture, I'd be interested in it.

You might try posting your question on the Plymouth Owners Club forum - you have to register but it's free:

https://www.plymouthowners.club/talk/

I know Ford bought their tools from subcontractors even though they're stamped with the Ford name - I suspect DPCD did the same.  The screw jack pictured above is a generic period one - shouldn't be too hard to find something similar if you're not concerned with absolute authenticity.

Here's a link to Model A Ford jacks:

http://www.mafca.com/tqa_jacks.html

The point of showing it is jacks differed depending on which subcontractor supplied them, and AA truck and Model T jacks were different yet.  I'd guess it was the same with DPCD - e.g., the 36 Plymouth and 37 Dodge jacks pictured above differ.  Interestingly, the Model A Ajax C2 "clone" jack shown on the linked page looks like the 36 Plymouth pictured above.

1 hour ago, Spinneyhill said:

Here is a picture from the Dodge Brothers Club mag. A/S '97.

image.png.5003717e0a6441b71b47032b3f8d543f.png

This illustration shows a screw-type bumper jack identical to one I have for my '36 Dodge - same number stamped on the bottom. It is notched at the top to grab the bumper arm but I would NEVER use it as it is so unstable when extended. The base is very small and you have to lift the body away up because the springs sag. Not a good way to get a wheel off the ground. It is painted green - almost a John Deere green.

I also have a smaller axle jack - also correct for the '36 - that is similar in shape to the one above except shorter. It does not look like Spinneyhill's jack. Number stamped on the bottom is 1878.

I would recommend getting in touch with Karl Krouch. I have seen his huge collection of jacks and wrenches at Hershey and was amazed at his knowledge. He had a jack like the one shown above and knew exactly what it was for. I believe his prices are reasonable and his knowledge of these things is encyclopedic.

Incidentally, looking at Spinneyhill's picture, the two piece engine crank handle may be correct or a variation depending on what company supplied tool kits I have an engine crank like the one you show as #6 in another post for my '36 Dodge. And I love the original tool bag. It is correct. Also the wheel chock.

Finally, I may be able to help you with dimensions for the bumper support for the engine crank if you want to make one. They're pretty simple really and you need one if you are ever to use the crank. Someone suggested it folds down - it doesn't unless you back off the bolt holding it in place which isn't very practical. It looks right in place.

Hope this helps

Edited by 36 D2 Coupe
more info (see edit history)

Greg,

Here are a couple of pix of the three jacks, and one handle that I have.  If you're interested, I'll check them out further for markings and function ("ran when parked") tomorrow.  You may want one, or two or all three, but it'll cost ya ... postage.

Attached (I hope) are the pix.

Cheers,

Grog

IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

• Like 1

Grog,

Thank you for the generous offer. I think the one on the right would probably do the job. It has a decent sized foot print. I'm not at all concerned about numbers. More utilitarian than anything else, so anything kind of period correct would foot the bill.

And yes, I'll be happy cover the shipping cost! USPS has their Flat Rate Priority boxes, in several different sizes that are free, with a fixed shipping rate no matter what you put inside, up to 70 pounds. If that jack will fit into one and the handle will fit into another maybe we can send them on a trip from coast to coast.

Greg

Jack3.JPG

The jack in the original 1937 ad, and the 3 offered, look identical to a couple 70s-80s vintage Ford pickup jacks I have laying around. Junkyards maybe crushed a lot of them with vehicles but if they saved some I would take a look at what they have. Or look at jacks on eBay, sort by "lowest price including shipping". I bet you can have one at your door for $20. The crank handles that stored behind the seat didn't fold up so are an expensive pain to ship, the car handles did fold for trunk storage.

39 minutes ago, John Dunn said:

The jack in the original 1937 ad, and the 3 offered, look identical to a couple 70s-80s vintage Ford pickup jacks I have laying around.

Similar, but not the same.  See the difference below.  I'll bet the internal workings are also very similar ... why improve something that works fine?

Related image

Cheers,

Grog

• 4 months later...
On 7/26/2018 at 7:23 PM, capngrog said:

Greg,

Here are a couple of pix of the three jacks, and one handle that I have.  If you're interested, I'll check them out further for markings and function ("ran when parked") tomorrow.  You may want one, or two or all three, but it'll cost ya ... postage.

Attached (I hope) are the pix.

Cheers,

Grog

IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

Grog... your jacks are truck bottle jacks.  Left to right...  60's Chevy and GMC  / 70s Ford  / 60's Chevy and GMC.

Just here to clear some of the fog...!

• 3 years later...

I’m late to the party. Just starting on my '38 finally. Here’s the jack that was in my '38 Plymouth. One side says Auto Spec Mfg Co., St. Joseph Mich., patented July 20, 1926. Other side says No 32 Dreadnaugh Twin Lift, SJ290 bottom stamped numbers are SJ238 and the number 19. It’s the dark green color like everyone is saying. Not sure if it’s original but I suppose it will do?! 8F6D7FCB-F8EE-4EB0-B2B7-19651237D65F.jpeg.ac52251ebf5d51d2c3d391c26f99a809.jpeg67D13D57-1A8B-43D2-8921-F1BCE9710706.jpeg.b9f711eee161705bca9664a3a5950397.jpeg

4 hours ago, 38 Pleemouth said:

Not sure if it’s original but I suppose it will do?! 

Nice sturdy jack that will do the job.   Auto Speciality sold lots of these thru catalogs.  The handle is the prize as they got bent up and discarded.

Disclaimer... get a small hydraulic jack with carrying case for actual use.  Safety and ease times ten.

Edited by Wowabunga (see edit history)
  • Like 1