1929 Cadillac 341B Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton *SOLD*

000H.thumb.jpg.efeb108a3c3b2c9b98d54acc58c80ceb.jpg

SOLD! Not much to say that the photos can't tell you. Spectacular restoration with under 500 miles since it was completed. CCCA National Premier First Prize winner, CLC National First Prize, AACA Junior and Senior. Arguably the single most desirable body style of the Classic Era, regardless of marque. I'm obviously biased and I had a concern that this car would humble my own 1929 Cadillac sedan, which I have always thought runs and drives pretty well. The good news is that this phaeton drives every bit as well, which should be reassuring to us both. On the one hand, mine is just as good (I'm not bragging), and on the other, you should be happy because two cars driving the same suggests that they are both as good as they can be--it's hard for two cars to be crappy in exactly the same way. Anyway, it starts easily with an electric fuel pump hidden in the vacuum tank and runs down the road rather well. Twin Optimas make it start quickly and easily, and it idles nearly silently. Beautiful stitchcraft in the top, side curtains, and fitted trunk. Lots of accessory lighting, too, with Pilot Rays and twin spots, all of which work. All the gauges work, wipers work, horn, etc. My car has 4.75 gears, which was the middle choice, but I believe this car has the 4.50s because acceleration is about the same even though it's a lighter car. Cruises easily at 45-50 MPH, brakes are very good, recent Firestone tires on original wire wheels. Highly detailed and accurate throughout. Even has the little air pump on the transmission--I've been looking for one of those (I had an original air hose for my car but loaned it to another '29 Cadillac owner to duplicate and never got it back and now I've forgotten who it was). Just a spectacular car that's ready to tour or show (it recently scored 98.5 points in CCCA competition and we fixed at least one of the demerits--some chipping paint on one of the cylinder heads). I certainly wish I could keep it and you'll find that '29 Cadillacs are wonderful cars to drive. I know I love mine and have the utmost confidence in it. More than 120 photos of this car in detail are on our website. Properly priced at $159,900. Thanks for looking!

001.thumb.JPG.5a622c60a5bd63ee2d9d6aab29211ce9.JPG 004.thumb.JPG.fd961e8818ae6a0335e956a9fe779a23.JPG 011.thumb.JPG.28f6474831f43728e4778def2e76c867.JPG

013.thumb.JPG.c694fd60ab345f8da046caab03d211c3.JPG 018.thumb.JPG.b54ae6020ce9da000280457077f044ce.JPG 019.thumb.JPG.b02514febcbfabbd240938002423093d.JPG

023.thumb.JPG.5f2bc0e83d84359f111c611c5ce8efef.JPG 056.thumb.jpg.08b2f514196f470099746bf7d1404abd.jpg 071.thumb.JPG.7698f7779418c0ec64c11655d113f5f8.JPG 

074.thumb.JPG.93265b14ac6efa9ea59d9656b6b5175c.JPG 087.thumb.JPG.bfce22f28927e90e3b5e39841931bf69.JPG 100.thumb.JPG.7cafca406045720547be32645cdcf2d1.JPG 

103.thumb.JPG.ee6141686e3108072b986661195848f7.JPG 108.thumb.jpg.69b46c10cb52ba2d973a58957818b118.jpg 118.thumb.jpg.50fb7c6e52df3fc0ec4e8a10626f1269.jpg

126.thumb.JPG.0a1c027e1915e73ac6efeb32a8f30c4d.JPG 127.thumb.JPG.0bbc28002d96399c9698fdae8e227660.JPG 128.thumb.jpg.9851fca907eec8a06fcc0597d8d333e5.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood
SOLD (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Did my friend,  Matt, mention that 1929 Cadillac introduced the worlds first synchromesh on 2nd and 3rd ? '29 Is also the 3rd year for the new Nacker V8 introduced on the 1927 LaSalle. Offset (staggered), blocks allowed the new engines to use side by side rods, replacing fork and blade at the crank throws. I am truly envious of the next happy owner of this fine Cadillac. Very best of luck to seller and purchaser.  -  Cadillac Carl 

Edited by C Carl
Spelling - synchromesh (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This car was restored from a very nice original car, and on its first outing it won the John Dodge trophy at the Meadowbrook Concours. The restoration back when it was done far exceeded the asking price. It’s nice to see it again. Ed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neil morse said:

Magnificent car!  And I just click on Matt's videos for that disco beat that helps me get going in the morning! ?

You'd be surprised how hard it is to find inoffensive yet interesting public domain music for videos. Watch some other dealers' videos and the truly awful music they find. We have two "songs" that we use that I find to be adequate and plain enough not to offend anyone. It's quite tricky because if you use something that has anyone's name attached to it or someone complains about copyrighted content, YouTube deletes the video without notice. We have to be very careful about what we use and these songs are guaranteed to be hassle-free, which is really what matters.

We have a 1950 Chevy pickup called "The Dude" and the guy who built it said he was inspired by the Eagles song "Desperado." So we used that in the video thinking it was appropriate. The video was deleted before we even finished uploading it, so we re-edited it with the standard music. Blah, but safe.

We got a warning on the Ferrari 308 when we used the "Magnum PI" theme, but it wasn't deleted because songs like that are technically public domain as long as we're not making money off the video. If we were a commercial YouTube user with ad revenue, it would have been yanked.

Kind of odd how all this works.

I got the Cadillac from an estate in Virginia. The gentleman who owned it was on vacation in Atlantic City in 2010 and had brought a cashier's check with him (for obvious reasons). While he was there, he and his wife visited an antique auto auction and found a car that they decided they wanted. However, when that car crossed the block, it wouldn't run properly and they were afraid of the cost of repairs to such a beast. Instead, his wife (a wonderful 82-year-old lady from Holland with whom my wife has developed a nice relationship) aimed him at the Cadillac, which was not in need of repair and which she thought was simply beautiful. When the Cadillac came to the block, two bidders started running up the numbers, but as the bidding slowed, he made his one and only bid, which was enough to buy the Cadillac. This was February 2010 and he took delivery in March. He and his wife quickly became involved with the CCCA and toured a bit in the Cadillac with the Chesapeake Bay Region and Colonial Region. Sadly, he passed away last year and his widow and son took their time deciding what to do with his cars (subsequent to the Cadillac, he bought two others). They decided to keep those two others, which are later cars that are easier to drive, and the Cadillac came to us a few weeks ago.

Ed mentions that he knows the car and saw it at Meadowbrook, and yes, the restoration is probably a few years old (it has CCCA badge number 12 after all), but it remains in sparkling condition and I feel that I'm more than qualified to judge the condition and quality of a 1929 Cadillac. I don't know how many times it circulated at auction or how many owners it has had over the decades, but that doesn't really change what it is today. People who assume that cars going from one auction to the next are flawed and that owners are rapidly dumping them because they're trash are probably mistaken. There are a variety of reasons why a car might appear in multiple auctions, with the #1 reason being that the seller sets an unreasonable reserve, the car goes unsold, and he decides to blame the auction company then tries again with someone else. Or the buyer couldn't consummate the deal and the auction company offered to sell it at another of their auctions. Some owners only want the awards, so they show the car, collect their trophies, then sell it and move on to the next trophy-collector. Or a host of other reasons, not necessarily because it's a turd that needs flushed. The database shows this car twice at auction, once in 2007 and once in 2010, which is presumably when my client's husband bought it. 

I don't love the spotlights, either, but it would take a lot of work to un-spotlight it. At least seven holes in the bodywork and running board to repair for each light. I will say that I find the spotlights interesting in the fact that they appear to be Cadillac parts, not generic Appleton lights or something like that. They have trim rings that match the headlights, complete with Cadillac crest. I think that's a nice detail and gives it a more intentional look than generic lights would.

040.JPG

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The car was basically a original car with a repaint when it became #12. It eventually became the property of Richard Gold of Minnesota. He sold it / consigned it to a dealer who then passed it on to a new collector who purchased it as his first car, and it was a cornerstone of what became a major collection including Duesenbergs, Packard 12’s, and a few Lincoln’s and Cadillacs. The day he bought the Cadillac he also bought a Brunn bodied Lincoln 12. It was restored in north eastern Connecticut. When the collection was sold off it hit the auction circuit and changed hands several times. I enjoyed driving it through the Berkshire Mountains to local car shows...........fond memories of a great car.  

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Matt,

I finally got a chance to go back through my old photos to find these slides made in 1966. Could this have been the same car? It has a Georgia tag and was at a show in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Don

82124087_Cadillac1929PhaetonChatta1.thumb.jpg.3af1d49ca04325ee2003985b2bdd8bfa.jpg1785786890_Cadillac1929PhaetonChatta2.thumb.jpg.1ec5010dabaf88b5ae156f5781a725ea.jpg

Cadillac 1929 Phaeton Chatta 2.jpg

Edited by DLynskey
Tried to delete duplicate photo. Not successful. (see edit history)

NOT THE SAME CAR...... It was in Minnesota from the late 60's to the late 80's, then in Massachusetts till about 2010.