rb6673

PRIVATE COLLECTION FOR SALE

2 minutes ago, trimacar said:

The Winchester AACA show was huge when I moved to Virginia in the late 80's, something like 600 cars.  Over the years, it's declined, a lot has to do with the park where it's held, if there's any rain at all then no cars on the grass, and there's limited pavement space.  It got down to a very small show.  This year, weather was great, and over 200 cars showed up, the best showing in years.  Very little brass era, some 20's-40's, then a huge turnout of post war cars and up into the 80's.

The Apple Blossom festival still goes strong.  I've been in the Friday Firefighter's Parade for a lot of years, it's amazing, with hundreds of fire trucks, old and new.  It's said to be the largest fire truck parade in the world.....and I believe it....I've never been in the Saturday feature parade, it's over three hours long, which means if you bring a car, it's an all day affair.

Interesting how the original thread has drifted....those are some very nice cars for sale, and the owners had the wherewithal to keep them in top condition.  I don't know about prices (well, I do a little), but while these might be "older" restorations, any inspection will find that they're very, very nice cars.....

In 1962 and for a few years later the show was held at the Handley (sp?) high school.  I witnessed what was said to be the car that had commanded the highest price ever paid for an antique car there ($10,000 for a 1910 Thomas Flyer).  Somewhere I have a grainy 8mm movie of the car coming in.  I sure have seen a lot of changes in the old car hobby in my time.  And, I doubt that was the highest price in in 1962 or 63, but I do remember Duesenberg's being offered for around $3500.  Am I old?  You betcha ??

2 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

In 1962 and for a few years later the show was held at the Handley (sp?) high school.  I witnessed what was said to be the car that had commanded the highest price ever paid for an antique car there ($10,000 for a 1910 Thomas Flyer).  Somewhere I have a grainy 8mm movie of the car coming in.  I sure have seen a lot of changes in the old car hobby in my time.  And, I doubt that was the highest price in in 1962 or 63, but I do remember Duesenberg's being offered for around $3500.  Am I old?  You betcha

Yep, I could see a show on the Handley High School campus, although that was way before my time in Winchester.  Judge Handley was a bachelor, around the turn of the century (1901, the OTHER century) he worked in Winchester and fell in love with it.  He left a lot of money to the City of Winchester when he died, to fund a high school and library.

If you're ever visiting Winchester, it's worth it to see both of these facilities.  The high school looks like a college campus.  It's one of the very few endowed public schools in existence.  The library is an architectural work of art, complete with copper roof, interior spiral staircase, and, on one of the upper floors, a lighted glass floor.  It also has a theatre in the basement, which is rarely seen.

But, we digress, sell those cars!!

• Like 1

Enough to buy, say, a new Ferrari (which is roughly equivalent to what this Pierce might have cost in 1933)? 

well avg salary in NJ is 90k and many making 130k after 10 years. not bad for 180 days a year of work, which I consider a part time job........ and dont forget the pensions at 50% of salary!

20 years ago a book was written- The Millionaire Next Door

Highest income and savings by profession were school teachers at that time- not too shabby, though they will ALL let you know how broke they are. ( I have four friends who are school teachers and my violin comes out quite often!)

• Like 3

In the mid Twenties, it wouldn't be inconceivable to buy a new Pierce-Arrow on non-millionaire salary. Packard, followed by Peerless and Pierce, introduced "owner driven" luxury cars which were slightly smaller than their previous models and cost $2,000-$3,000 in roadster or phaeton body styles.

I worked as a Teachers Assistant 20 years ago and gross pay before taxes averaged $6,666.  Kansas schools pay somewhat lower salaries than other states.

On 7/24/2018 at 3:33 PM, mercer09 said:

Apparently school teachers being grossly under-paid is a recent phenomenon...

not in NJ- they are very well paid!

I think that one aspect of the teacher compensation discussion that never gets mentioned is that a teacher works 180 days a year at 6.5 hours a day vs. 270 days a year 8.5 hours a day for a standard job.   Mix in the health and retirement benefits (which are not matched anywhere outside of government jobs) the per hour pay is actually quite high.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2018 at 4:46 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

A relative of mine makes good money and works only 8-9 months 

of the year.  He took the job knowing of the summers off...

Some of the world's worst teacher's do this. I wouldn't brag about it. I do NOT respect ANY teacher that says they teach for the summers off.

On 7/31/2018 at 9:54 PM, alsancle said:

I think that one aspect of the teacher compensation discussion that never gets mentioned is that a teacher works 180 days a year at 6.5 hours a day vs. 270 days a year 8.5 hours a day for a standard job.   Mix in the health and retirement benefits (which are not matched anywhere outside of government jobs) the per hour pay is actually quite high.

Any teacher worth their salt spends a LOT more time working than what you've just posted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, West Peterson said:

Any teacher worth their salt spends a LOT more time working than what you've just posted.

No disagreement my friend.  But, it still is not a full time job in the traditional sense.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1