PRIVATE COLLECTION FOR SALE

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:08 AM, West Peterson said:

More than a full-time job in the un-traditional sense, tho.

I was a High School Shop teacher in the late 1980's. The Wood Shop teacher and I figured that by the hour we would be better off as clerks at the 7-11.

Greg

Greg, has that situation changed by now, 30 years on ? It would not surprise me if some teachers in some locations down here have to moonlight to make ends meet. Back in the mid '70s, I was living in a 3rd World country and took a cab being driven by a medical doctor. One taxi there was a 1927 Packard touring car with 6 cylinder GMC truck running gear. Occasionally I would see an immaculate '53 Packard Caribbean cruising about. Gold with a white top. Walking about in a "good neighborhood", I was struck by something amiss on the trunk of a '50 Olds Rocket 88. The block lettering had been changed. The "O" had apparently become loose and lost, and the previously 3rd and 4th letters had been reversed upon refastening. No longer made much sense, but I guess phonetics can become a casualty of translation. The official State vehicles in the garage of the Governmental Palace were mid '50s Cadillacs, like new. Sometimes you would see a large American car, perhaps 15-20 or somewhat more years-old being well attended by a "car guy" type. The high-speed, long distance "collectivos" (communal taxis which would wait for a full load to their destination - the local, older beaters would just keep circulating, picking up passengers on a space available basis), were generally 12-15 year old V8 Fords, and made very good time compared with most busses. Gasoline was subsidized, cheap and very high quality. 98 octane at sea level, appropriately in the 70s for high altitude combustion. Oops ! I am rambling again. Where was I ? Oh yeah. Moonlighting. Ahhhhhhhh, I have lost my train of thought. Maybe I should delete this. Well, it did morph into some old car content. I guess I'll submit it. If a moderator judges this to be unintelligible, irrelevant prattle, unjustifiably serving to rob an unsuspecting readers time, feel free to wipe it out.  -  Feeble-minded Carl, today

I was a High School Shop teacher in the late 1980's.

I know of a fella that goes to Hershey every year................ he was a shop teacher in NJ..............he had an incredible eye and good timing.

His collection includes a Mercedes gullwing and a 300 sl roadster. All bought on a shop teachers salary.

His collection is extensive.

anything is possible!