Check out this Riviera

MrEarl

Wonder if this Riv' would be worth something today if it survived and its lineage could be proven...

Apparently there is a story on-line about how Elvis came home one evening in his '63 Riv and his longtime "hired-help" wasn't around to open the main gate, so he backed it up and used the Riv to open the gate himself causing about $800 in auto repairs... (hey, it's the Internet, believe what we will... :))

image.jpeg

• Like 4

On 7/23/2018 at 6:15 PM, MikeJS said:

Wonder if this Riv' would be worth something today if it survived and its lineage could be proven...

Apparently there is a story on-line about how Elvis came home one evening in his '63 Riv and his longtime "hired-help" wasn't around to open the main gate, so he backed it up and used the Riv to open the gate himself causing about $800 in auto repairs... (hey, it's the Internet, believe what we will... :))

image.jpeg

I get quizzed A LOT about the stance on my 65. Most people think I lowered it, or have worn.out springs. This photo of the King's 63 should put those questions to rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Good day...

Recently I got a lead on a gentleman that apparently had a few 1st gen Riviera parts and project cars about an hour north of the city. I finally had the opportunity to go check them out.

Lots of potential for parts,  but access and digging through the interiors and trunks that are mainly stuffed with more parts will be a big challenge. Although it's sad to see these cars in this state, it's nice to know where parts cars exist nearby. Now that I know what's there, I'll go back with chainsaw and a tetanus shot to grab a few more spare parts...

Also the owner is in the process of restoring a '65 so he was pretty Riv'  knowledgable...

All in all it was somewhat sad but still cool to ... Check out these Rivieras...?

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

PartsRivs- - 1.jpg

PartsRivs- - 2.jpg

PartsRivs- - 3.jpg

PartsRivs- - 4.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Some screen grabs using my phone from one of the FB Buick group postings.

I just spotted these pics of someone's Riviera on Facebook. Dig those HUGE bumper guards! :blink:

They look like they should be on a Caddy or a tank! :lol: 

According to the car owner: "I inherited the car with them on it. I am not an expert on the guards but was told it was a “rare”

option you could add. This was my grandfather’s Riv bought new in 1966. I’m keeping it 100% original as I received it."

Screenshot_20181010-190543_Lite.thumb.jpg.8b366c5443a8c7902400a3c3c91ee25c.jpgScreenshot_20181010-190553_Lite.thumb.jpg.d99cd48f906f01e2680e2528beabfcf0.jpg

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

Bringing back to the top

ua4817.jpg

Bill Mitchell's Silver Arrow I.  He had the Buick stylist customize this for him.  2" chopped top (fiberglass), the front end is extended about 2", and the hood is pancaked. Plus about another hundred or so modifications.  This picture was apparently taken before he had the thermal controlled grill installed.

Here's a picture of his final version.  Wide white side wall tires, red inner fenders, and some funky wheel covers.  

Image result for Riviera Silver arrow I

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The Silver Arrow I was at the ROA meet in Eureka Springs, AR back in 2005.  At that time, Odin Loe and I made a list of what changes we could find.  If I remember correctly, we had 80 some items listed.  Some were major;  like the seats.  Some were minor.  Take a look at this picture and see what you can find that's different than the mass produced '63 Riviera.

Image result for Riviera Silver arrow I interior

• Like 1

I had a chance to sit in this car at the ROA meet at Lake Geneva in 2001.  A group of us actually had to push it onto the show field because GM let it slip into disrepair and it didn't run.  My favorite change which can't be seen in this photo is that the buttons for the rear power windows were mounted in the rear center arm rest.  Most of the changes were cool but I always thought the wheel covers, wide whites and red inner fenders were gawd awful.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

I had a chance to sit in this car at the ROA meet at Lake Geneva in 2001.  A group of us actually had to push it onto the show field because GM let it slip into disrepair and it didn't run.  My favorite change which can't be seen in this photo is that the buttons for the rear power windows were mounted in the rear center arm rest.  Most of the changes were cool but I always thought the wheel covers, wide whites and red inner fenders were gawd awful.  

Pat, I remember helping to push it. I told them it needed a set of plugs because they were fouled and that changing them would be easier than pushing that beast. I was serious but they didnt take me up on it. Oh well...

Tom Mooney

On 7/29/2018 at 6:35 PM, jframe said:

I get quizzed A LOT about the stance on my 65. Most people think I lowered it, or have worn.out springs. This photo of the King's 63 should put those questions to rest.

Elvis’s car is just too low. It just is   Must have had a few girls in the trunk?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chasander said:

Thought road wheels started in 65

They first appeared as an option in1964, but only on the Wildcat. In 1965, they became an option on the Riviera. So why are they on the 63 in the ad is anyone's guess.  I'm guessing that the ad is not period correct.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

This was my first Riviera GS, purchased from Bill in Auburn, 388038560_Scan_20180902(6).thumb.jpg.8dc3477ed860bfe2beb4378a1ffce788.jpg

NY in January 1999. This is the picture I took of the two of them before I drove it home.

I sold that car in 2010, this is the transport driver loading it up. There were 3 other vehicles in the van, a Ferrari, Lamborghini and a 55 chevy pickup - all RED!

1351433241_Scan_20180902(2).thumb.jpg.0d76aafec01c40b58c820d1644188120.jpg

2 minutes ago, phoemsen said:

This was my first Riviera GS, purchased from Bill in Auburn, 388038560_Scan_20180902(6).thumb.jpg.8dc3477ed860bfe2beb4378a1ffce788.jpg

NY in January 1999. This is the picture I took of the two of them before I drove it home.

I sold that car in 2010, this is the transport driver loading it up. There were 3 other vehicles in the van, a Ferrari, Lamborghini and a 55 chevy pickup - all RED!

1351433241_Scan_20180902(2).thumb.jpg.0d76aafec01c40b58c820d1644188120.jpg

Looks like Santa purchased some new sleds. 

Ed, that is not a real commercial, nor is it even a real car! Somebody made that commercial in his living room

using the soundtrack from an actual commercial. The car in the video appears to be a plastic model of a Riviera, so I don't

think you can go by it for proper stance!

36 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

Ed, that is not a real commercial, nor is it even a real car! Somebody made that commercial in his living room

using the soundtrack from an actual commercial. The car in the video appears to be a plastic model of a Riviera, so I don't

think you can go by it for proper stance!

Even so, it is still representative of the factory stance.  Google 1963 Buick Riviera brochure and you'll see the same stance in all of the pictures.  

For example

4.thumb.jpg.d48bff97387238df8ed2cad7a764810f.jpg

the full length stainless is in line with the center of the wheel.  

I would think the only variance to this would be the H2 option for the 65 

19 minutes ago, RivNut said:

the full length stainless is in line with the center of the wheel. 

Yepper.

19 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I would think the only variance to this would be the H2 option for the 65 

Is that so?  I don't know, but were the HD springs different lengths as well as different rates?

57 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

Yepper.

Is that so?  I don't know, but were the HD springs different lengths as well as different rates?

It would be neat to see an H2 equipped 65 and a standard suspension car side by side. I have look at literally hundreds of 65's in pictures, and most of the stockers seem to have similar stances. The exception to me are the ones with obviously changed (read incorrect) springs that have a stance like a K5 Blazer.