dash lights

Hi out there - it's the dumb woman again. We just bought a 38 LZ coupe.

Can someone tell me how to change the bulbs in the instrument panel. Only the clock light works.

Also we would like to put radial tires on it with 2 1/2" whitewalls. We need to change the rims to 15", but can someone tell me how wide we can go on the tires without rubbing fender skirts? Will there be any problems with changing the rims?

Thanks for your help.

Carol

Hi Carol, in the best old Ford tradition, you are going to have to "get out and get under" the dashboard that is, to change those light bulbs, as I recall a '38 has a metal housing running from the dash board down to the floor, this is secured by screws or bolts, and will have to be removed to gain access to the light bulbs which are in sockets that push into the respective holes in the dash, getting the correct size and candlepower 6 volt light bulbs, may be a bit of a problem, haven't seen any for a long time. Maybe someone else has, and can tell you where you can order them, the wheels and tires are a bag of worms, '38's had the wide 10 1/2 bolt pattern, on the 16" wheels, there were no 15" wheels made that I know of that will fit those drums, so you are forced into having a set of wheels custom made, where they would cut the centers out of your original wheels, and weld them into 15" rims, a costly project, might be easier to obtain a set of '42-'48 brake drums and wheels with the 5 1/2 bolt pattern, but if you go that far, you might consider changing to the hydraulic brakes as well, all this to only achieve a slightly smoother ride, and better handling, is a lot of expense for a minimal gain, in my opinion at least, hope someone else has a better idea, good luck, OC

Thanks OC

Just ordered the Goodrich tires from Coker. We'll think about changing the rims sometime in the future. Thanks for the advice. As for the bulbs, if I find out anything, I'll post it. We can live without that stuff lighting for the time being.

Thanks again,

Carol

Hi again Carol, looking through my sources, there is a fellow advertising all the LZ light bulbs, his name is Bill Peters, 3519 So. Pleasant, Independence MO 64055-3211, Tel (816) 252-4074. Am really curious which size tires you ordered from Coker, hope you didn't jump the gun, Rolf

We ordered BF Goodrich 700-16 6PR poly w/4" whitewalls and tubes. That's the same size tires on the car now, but not Firestone. The car had been sitting for several years when we bought it and didn't want to take any changes on the tires being dryrotted. Also saw the ad for Bill Peters. I tried to call, but no answer. However, I talked to Alan Whelihan and he has all the bulbs and knew which ones we needed. He's shipping them this afternoon. God, all you guys out there are great. Thanks so much for your help. I'm sure I'll be back with a lot more questions as we go along. We love the car.

Carol