Paint correction

AZVET

Last year I met a local body/paint guy who said he could repaint my sun damaged hood for a very reasonable price.  I dropped the car off at his back street shop.  The shop had no signs but had a  paint booth and a good sized compressor.  It looked fairly clean.  

He said that they were trying to open a satellite shop here in Kingman, AZ.  Their main shop was in Phoenix.  I asked that they paint the hood and the tops of the front fenders from stripe to stripe.

When I picked the car up it had some clear coat runs.  The painter said to give it a couple of weeks to harden and then bring it back so he could correct the job and fix the runs.

I returned in 2 weeks to find the shop empty.  I did not have a business card so it looks like I was screwed.

I then watched a few videos and tried to wet sand the two areas of concern and respray with a good quality clear coat and a buff/wax.  I guess that I am just a cheap old codger and hate to pay twice for a job.

Here is the worst spot.  As you can see from the first pic I have broken through to the original paint.  I want it to look nice so my choices seem to be:

1.  Take it to a professional.  2.  Cover it up with a fender stripe (see 2nd pic only my stripe would be charcoal in color)

Any other suggestions?  I have a spray can of the matching color to the rest of the car but the hood paint is slightly darker than the rest of the body.

DSCF2333.JPG

gs stripe.jpg

Why don't you call their Phoenix main shop and see if they will correct their mistake?

1 hour ago, AZVET said:

I guess that I am just a cheap old codger and hate to pay twice for a job.

You know what they say... Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good. :)

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Why don't you call their Phoenix main shop and see if they will correct their mistake?

You know what they say... Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good. :)

I cannot remember the name of the shop.  They did not give me a receipt and it was a cash transaction.  It looks like they were rip off artists.  Their old building is now a used car lot and the folks there have no idea who operated the place before they took it over.

I'm not a paint expert but recently had a surprising experience. An old lady backed into the front fender on my 70 Chevelle with a prize winning 30 year old lacquer paint job. I took it to a local 3-man shop and the fix was perfect. The new paint matched the very old paint exactly; at any angle, in any light it matches. They used a camera tied to a computer that aftrer taking many pictures the computer adjusts the original paint formula to match.

I have since found out that there isn't a shop in town that doesn't use a system like this. BTW, the paint fix over lacquer wasn't lacquer but a modern mix.

Just information, Murray