E-Track vs D-rings

Jim Dix

Ok, I woke up this morning thinking e-track vs d-rings for tie down points in the new trailer. The open trailer had 4 d-rings that never caused a problem. We're trying to accomodate a 1910 AA Maxwell and a 1929 Model A Panel Delivery (heavy in the rear) as the extremes and I'm wondering if I need the flexibility that e-track might offer.

What's people's experience? In all honesty, the Panel was never on the old trailer.

I think E tracks are steel plates with an e shaped cutout to facilitate strap placement while D rings are pivoted loops that sit flush in their sockets and are pulled up when needed...............I think......................... guess it depends upon the type of strap you use.

Packard V8, how are you? L I Stellite's knowledge is about what I know of E-Tracks. Basicially, tracks affixed to the floor of the trailer and one can move the tie down's to the desired area for towing different cars.

In my case, I have a one-car-collection, so I used D-rings at the appropriate "fixed" location. Come to think of it, the trailer is "fixed" to my car (16'). In machining, we call this "dedicated tooling".

My suggestion would be go to an RV Center or on-line to see a wide array of trailer/towing accessories. I'm certain some of the more experienced folks will post some good info shortly.

Regards, Peter J.

I use both types of tiedowns. I consider E-Track a must for early cars. With a D-Ring set-up you are basically pulling the car from both ends. That works fine for the cars with nice "rigid" chassis and suspension systems. However, the frames and suspension systems for the early cars were much more flexible, even in some cases, flimsy. For that application I use the E-Track with over the tire tiedowns. These keep the car from moving front to back without putting a strain on the frame and suspension. In my opinion, having both on a trailer for most flexibility if there is going to be a variety of cars being hauled.

I think Ron has this figured out. Both systems have their special appeal. Considering that a car trailer will last you 15-20 years if well cared for, (maybe longer) the aditional cost of having both E Track and D rings is not that big a deal. If you are going to do this, you might as well do it right.

Who knows what car may "follow you home" during the life of the trailer.

Chuck blush.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I do alot of work on trailers, although e-track is more versitale it is not as durable as the d-rings, d-rings are usally fastened to metal or a stong structer, e-track may not be fastened as well.

Joe

replies to technical questions from unknown posters raise more questions than they answer. should you trust anonymous advice? i certainly wouldn't.