1941 Buick: Access to speedometer cable at transmission

Kenneth Carr

I need to replace my speedometer cable. I have not been able to trace it to the connection on the

transmission by just crawling under the car while it is not jacked up.

>Is there any way to get to the connection on the transmission without jacking 

up the car? 

>Where on the transmission is the connection (top left, top right, etc.)?

Thanks.

(if you have a file photo I'd love to see it)

Edited by Roadmaster71
spelling (see edit history)

Yes! Pull up the carpet or mat in the front and remove the cover over the transmission hump. 5 or 6 large screws. Then the cable will be right there on the back

left side. You can easily remove it, clean it,  and *lightly* lube it while reinserting. That's how I did it on my 1940 56S. The metal thing between the cable and transmission is a translator I put in because I changed my rear to a 3.6.

Cheers, Dave

N.B. If the cable is broken in two then you will have to unscrew the cable from the back of the speedo and worm it down below the dash bottom so you can pull of that end as well.

20170206_154838.thumb.jpg.7ef6b813c23726f03f66fec820ffd5f7.jpg

Edited by Daves1940Buick56S (see edit history)

13 hours ago, neil morse said:

That's interesting because there is no access hatch over the transmission on my '41 Super.  Just solid floor.

Really? I thought the floor access was through '41. Your and my Supers have the same body, only front sheetmetal changes. Or at least I think, maybe I am wrong.

Cheers, Dave

Yeah, beats me.  All I know is that I wanted to open the hatch to get a look at my transmission a few months ago, and was disappointed to find nothing but solid steel over my transmission hump when I lifted up the floor mat.  Now I'm beginning to doubt myself!  But I can't imagine how I could have missed it if it was there.

I took up all the insulating material in the area Dave mentioned. I have no access

hatch on my floor, either side.

Then I remembered : one of the first things I did upon buying my car (some 16 years ago)

was to have new front floors welded in. the driver's side was like a Flintstone

pedal car ... you could watch the street go by. The passenger side was not as bad.

The doglegs that made the junction between the floor and the firewall area were all shot

too. All this was repaired. So, I figured the repair shop just cut it all out

and did not replicate the access port (too late to complain now).

But reading Neil's response makes me wonder if the '41 did have this port. 

Someone here must know!

Today I jacked up the left (driver's) side. I have one horse under the spring perch

and another under the frame. I also have cement blocks and boards under the

front left tire and chocks at the rear wheels. I believe I was able to see the

cable. I quit for today ... 100% humidity left me soaked to the skin. See attached

photo. The floor panel patch is the smooth black area near the top. It looks like they

put it together with rivets?

Speedometer cable 1941 Buick Trans.JPG

Edited by Roadmaster71
added info. (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Roadmaster71 said:

But reading Neil's response makes me wonder if the '41 did have this port. 

Someone here must know!

Well that makes me feel better, I admit!  I swear there is no transmission inspection hatch on my car, and my '41 Super and Ken's '41 Roadmaster share the same body, so I think for some reason (I can't imagine what) Buick decided to discontinue the inspection hatch on the C body starting in 1941.  Any further input from '41 owners would be most welcome!