Help keep the water out!

WANTED: 1938-1939 Commander and President 4dr. opening rear quarter window weather strip. Stude part numbers, 268264 right, 268265 left. Mine are dry rotted. New, used, one or a pair. ANY help/leads deeply appreciated.

Steele Rubber, Pat Walsh and some others do not have them. Nick Farina 518 733-6083, email,  nykikos@yahoo.com

hi 39, 

I have a '39 and there are several of us on this site that need this vent seal.  I compared mine in person to Steel's  '37 at a show recently and was not comfortable buying it to try unless someone else has done it successfully.   I have compared mine to an early Ford...hinge to hinge length was exact, it even would fit the metal channel around the glass like it should,  but the overall length was long (no problem ...cut and glue) but the lip that goes over the body flange seemed to go straight out and not down over the window body flange.   ...but again i would to like to hear of someone else's success before I try it.  I have not tried to compare it to GM or Chrysler early cars.  I spoke to Schrock Bros and although they were interested in my delimma, they really did not want to try to mold it.   They are nice folks and was even willing to give me pointers on molding my own..next time i am in Hershey.    Mine are intact but, they have shrunk and have splits in the body flange lip.  I feel they could be used as a pattern for a mold but they would need some filling of the cracks and lengthening the  body flange lip to compensate for the shrinkage.   Eventually, I may attempt to make a mold from my old seals and try my hand at casting a pair of seals.    I have made a mold and cast my own steering wheel and it came out great!    But I think the seals will be much more challenging  than a steering wheel and I have some learning to do.  In the meantime, I hope someone finds a solution for us.     

Luckily my L5 doesn't have rear quarter windows! But...

I remember a fellow in Wellington repaired his running board rubbers with a urethane or polyurethane putty. They looked pretty good. I wonder if in the short term something like that would help with repairs to what you have, so it at least looks like a weather strip on the outside and seals the water out?

Pastor Matt...., if you're watching this....did you ever try the ford seal?  

Spinney....As a last resort, I have been told to try the following for the outside portion of the seal...while it is installed, tape it off and spray FlexSeal over the exposed rubber.  The fellow that told me this said it turned out quite well.  However, I still have some time before resorting to try that.   

• 2 weeks later...

1938 & 1939 have the same basic body shell so the window seals from the two years should interchange.  I have a 1938 Coupe which has fixed rear quarter windows and we were able to take the rear window seal and modify them for use as rear quarter seal.  John Herdon, who has a 1938 four door with  vent rear quarter windows, informed me  that he ordered Ford part numbers 19A-7229904/5B for 1941-1946 Sedan Coupes from Bob Drake at a cost of $100/pr and was able to modify them to fit.  John says he informed Pastor Matt of these seals and he too was successful in modifying the Ford seals to resolve his seal problems..  Hope your  able to apply these seals to your problem---let us know how it works for you.

Thanks Cowtown  for the info.   Next time I am in Charlotte (Carpenters), I will compare mine to the '41-'46 Ford.   When I was there before, I compared mine with the '38-'40 part number 81A-7329904.  As I said before, it really looked like a match except for the outer "flange lip".   I also compared the '37 Ford (no match), but did not try the '41-46.   It would be nice to have some pics of the '41-'46 modifications mentioned and of the installed end result..... and if the installers have some tips to share and what to watch out for while cutting and installing.   I assume the modification would be cutting and rejoining in the corner... which could be tricky to get the angles correct and a close fit?          

I don't know my Fords well enough to speak with any authority but I didn't see the part numbers listed in Carpenter 's catalog so I don't know if Carpenters has this part or not.  Apparently Ford had both a Coupe and a "Coupe Sedan" as when I did some research this was what I found. "The Super Deluxe line up included a Convertible, Coupe, Coupe Sedan, Tudor, Fordor and a beautiful Woodie Station Wagon."

When I was restoring my car I obtained several boxes of parts and I had numerous vent windows and garnish moundings. I still have one set of front and one set of rear quarter vent windows so if you want something that's already out of the car let me know.  I was not completely pleased with my front vent window rubber but I don't know if that was due to the installation or the fact that the Lincoln rubber we used from Steele wasn't a match.  If a Ford front vent rubber could be made to work it sure would be a less expensive way to go as the Steele Lincoln vent rubber is pretty pricey.

• 1 year later...

hi all, I finally ordered the '41 to '46 ford rear quarter vent window seal (19A-7229904/5B) for my '39 commander.    I immediately  started comparing it against my original.  After some head scratching, I thought I would seek out help on this before I do anything like cutting and gluing.....or sending them back for a refund. 

First of all,  the Ford window is much larger and some cutting/glueing was expected.   However, I did not realized it was going to take 3 cuts to get the hinge pins and the latch slot to align.  It would require a cut on the side, top and bottom!!!  The next issue is the rubber lip that should go over the body seam flange...it goes outward some...creating about a 3/16" gap between the body flange and the rubber lip.  

Since everyone likes pics..... here is the seal raised to show you the body flange....

20200124_192045.thumb.jpg.d81d6ad5fddf1500d8b135fdf4cbab54.jpg

here is the seal pushed down over the body flange...you might be able to see the 3/16" gap between the rubber lip and the body flange.  Even if the rubber lip is pulled down, it still appears to be a little short  and part of the body flange may be exposed.  Yes the window frame is not there...so that would pull the seal towards the inside of the car about  the thickness of the body flange...reducing the 3/16" gap slightly.   I intentionally did not put the seal in the window frame  as it may get scuffed  (in case I have to send it back for a refund).  

20200124_193053.thumb.jpg.478f5383b56f4b017760de4b7c642bdc.jpg

In my Aug 1,2018 post, I stated where I compared my '39 seal to a '38-'40 Ford seal part number 81A-7329904.  It really looked like a match except for the outer "flange lip".   The distance between the pivot pins were identical...I think the latch slot was even in the same place....meaning that only one cut would be required.  But the outer rubber lip appeared to go straight outwards and not down over the body flange.   I also compared the '37 Ford (no match), 

Rumors are this Ford seal  '41-'46 (19A-7229904/5B) has been used successfully on the '39 commander.  If anyone out there knows anything about fitting the Ford seal , please let me know how it was done.   

Edited by fh4ever (see edit history)