1937 Buick Radio Face - New radio inside

Bobby Rodd

I bought a re-conditioned radio for my 1937 Buick Special 35 years ago and have had it stored in my basement ever since.  That car is long gone, but I recently bought another '37 Special.  When I tried to install the radio, I discovered that the knobs are spaced farther apart than on my Special; it must belong to a larger model '37 Buick.  I've heard of radios that can be placed in the space of the original radios, but that use the "face and knobs" of the original so it looks stock, but that it gives better quality reception.  Has anyone had experience with such a conversion or advice before I spend more dollars?

Bobby Rodd

According to everything that I have read and all of the radios that I have seen there was not a different radio for different series. While there are two different models of radios that were available for a 1937 Buick, they were both the same size. It is possible that the radio that you were originally told was for a 1937 Buick was for something else. Can you post a photo and/or any model number or other identifying information on your radio?

I am not aware of anybody that sells a modern radio to fit in the original 1937 opening. There are a number of folks who are able to convert original radios to modern internal components. They are not cheap. I think you would need to have a correct original 1937 radio to convert if you want to go that route.  

Some old radios have the controls mounted in slots and can be adjusted.

As for you original question. I recently had an AM radio from a 65 Chrysler gone over by a guy I found in Hemmings that is in the Shelton Washington area.

I think he said he could do this with any radio. He installed some small gizmo in the original radio that I will assume is a very small tuner.

With the radio on one can quickly turn it off then on again and it converts itself to FM.

Of coarse the dial indicator is way off but with a little patience I could tune my favorite FM stations and save them with the push buttons.

This set up comes with wiring for stereo, front and rear fade as well and a good old one speaker option which is what I went with.

The reception and sound quality is good. I put a new speaker in the car and it works great.

A bit spendy but after awhile that all goes away.