Antenna removal/replacement on 51 Buick Super

Puka

Hello:

I need to remove the mast on my antenna (it's broken) and probably replace that rubber piece (a grommet of some sort it appears to be) because my antenna will swirl around while driving.

Is this an easy thing to do? I've noticed that in a couple of catalogs they offer a tool for antenna removal, but I hate to buy a tool just for this simple operation.

Also, anyone have a problem with the swirling antenna? I ask because I am not sure _what_ parts to order exactly (that is, is it just the rubber piece I need, or the base or what?)

Thanks for your help!

Puka

51 Buick Super sedan model 52

Puka,

I have removed the antenna from my '51 Roadmaster. It is held in with a threaded collar that has a pair of notches to accept a tool to rotate it. With a screwdriver, a small hammer and some needlenose pliers I was able to eke the thing out, but get the tool anyway. Bob's Automobilia carries it for just a few bucks. It will make it immeasurably easier to put it back in. You can get it at the same time you order the rubber gasket. If I remember correctly, the tool is only about $6.50. I haven't had your problem of unwanted spinning of the antenna, but it seems to me the shaft/sleeve that hods it all in place is spring-loaded and that's what keeps the antenna in position. Forgive me for being ambiguous on this, but it's been a long time since I messed with it. I hope this helps some.

I'm not sure a 53 Special is the same but .... I was able to swap the antennas from my northern car (good rubber and plastic, but rusted bad) to my southern car (solid metal, plastic and rubber shot). I did not need a "removal" tool, and was able to get it tight enough after. Bob's sells two version of the rubber, flat and tapered. If I remember correctly mine was tapered. They also sell two different antenna masts; one with 3 sections and a 4 section. I might try to remove first, if I have problems I would order the "tool"(it's only $6.50) when I order the other items. My change went smooth and easy.