Sign in to follow this  
DAVES_BUICKS

"Creating Destiny" - The Future of Car Clubs

I don't know how many of you are members of AACA, but if you are, be sure to check out the AACA Executive Directors column in the July/August issue of the AACA publication "Antique Automobile", titled "Creating Destiny".  There are some good thoughts about the current state (and creating the future) of car clubs in general.  Also, in the same issue, there is an excellent "letter to the editors" column from the editor of a smaller regional car club, "Vermont Automobile Enthusiasts", relative to the success of their club.  I think that the writer makes some good points concerning the attraction of small regional car clubs, and possibly some of the reasons why larger clubs such as the AACA (and others) are having problems in attracting & keeping new and younger members.  I think that both columns raise some good points.  

Dave

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2018 at 9:37 AM, DAVES_BUICKS said:

I don't know how many of you are members of AACA, but if you are, be sure to check out the AACA Executive Directors column in the July/August issue of the AACA publication "Antique Automobile", titled "Creating Destiny".  There are some good thoughts about the current state (and creating the future) of car clubs in general.  Also, in the same issue, there is an excellent "letter to the editors" column from the editor of a smaller regional car club, "Vermont Automobile Enthusiasts", relative to the success of their club.  I think that the writer makes some good points concerning the attraction of small regional car clubs, and possibly some of the reasons why larger clubs such as the AACA (and others) are having problems in attracting & keeping new and younger members.  I think that both columns raise some good points.  

Dave

I wasn't aware that AACA is "having trouble in attracting & keeping new and younger members".  Yes, a regional club is more fun locally if you have one.  AACA has Regional Clubs all over the country.  Too many are made up of aging members.  Some aging members, I guess, can't participate in local activities due to health. Some, like me, don't really enjoy being at an event with the only original pre-1950 (for example) car.   I'll turn 80 this year, but I'm not dead yet.  I would still like to go to events, if there were any in this place other than shopping center cruise-ins full of street rods.  Most "young people" I know have turned to electronic gadgets for fun and old cars just get your hands dirty.  I guess I'm jaded.  The world of old cars has sure changed since I was 23 and joined the AACA Region in Baltimore.  The idea back then was to get an old car and restore it to like new original status.  I too read that article and made a suggestion.  Since so much of the membership are up in age now, they can't do their own work.  Shops won't work on these cars.  There is one garage here in Sebring that will work on our old cars, but he only has three bays and works on modern cars for a living.  When I needed a clutch a transmission shop refused to do the job, so a restoration shop had to do it, and they are 85 miles from home.  My thought building a team of 40-60 year old guys, like when they built the teams of judges in the late 60's, who would go an do or help older people in their area keep their cars repaired and going.  Maybe building such a team is a pipe dream, I don't know.

• Like 1

Earl,

What you are suggesting works well. In our local AACA Chapter, we have an informal "Buick owner's group". We meet every other month at one of our garages. We help each other work on cars and have snacks. It is enough fun that one of our non-Buick owning AACA members has become an "unofficial" member of the unoffical group. He comes every time and we pick on him about owning Mustangs all his life. He is about your age and says that if he was younger and had it to do over again, he would be a Buick owner. 

• Like 3

On 7/24/2018 at 9:03 AM, MCHinson said:

He is about your age and says that if he was younger and had it to do over again, he would be a Buick owner. 

To quote Dynaflash, "he's not dead yet"...  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYcPBE5PXhs

• Haha 1