1936 Dodge D2 TS Newcomer

After the Flood

We had startling floods along the coast in MA last winter January flood 21" brackish water in my garage. Got my other cars out by the time I got to the Dodge it would have done more harm than good to move it.  Been working on it since with grandson.  Two treatments inside and out with Salt-Away, then two oil changes and filter, transmission drain and refill, rear end drain refill, corrosion blaster on underside.  Motor started fine and electrics. Then I think started pulling water in fuel.  Drained tank, now draining fuel system, some mysterious layer in fuel bowl.  Then hopefully motor runs good  againthen wheel bearings and brakes that I was planning on doing before the flood.  Will try and attach photos. Any advice gladly accepted.

image.png.1330bf37fcefb8fceecc4d3b18dfc1af.pngimage.png.c1aa6b0435f297f198273e611d64206c.pngimage.png.fe35f9daab4faa43e37012bece1b1e73.pngimage.png.9091dd29c945fc066cedbf4b9244ddb6.pngimage.png.9091dd29c945fc066cedbf4b9244ddb6.png

image.png

Wow!  A black D2 sedan that seems to be in outstanding condition.  I'm jealous.  My D2 will require a lot of effort to GET to the point that you are.  But I'm sad to hear the misfortune you experienced with flooding.  I lost a few cars in June of 2006 to flooding and it was heartbreaking.  

It seems like you're on your way to recovery.  I'm trying to resurrect a 4 door slantback with the help of my 11 YO son and we're not making much progress lately!

Pete,

Definitely some water in fuel not so sure how it got in there.  Hopefully getting the last bit out now.  Gave it a grease job over weekend, no water squirted out of any fittings (good sign) pretty resilient cars.  Funny how the starter and electrics all mounted up pretty high on the engine, so none of that went under water.  Still a lot to do to get back to where I was about a year ago with a relatively perfect car.  

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

I put the numbers of the pumps on your other topic. There are a couple of 1521789 = 1935 DU pumps on eBay; they don't show as interchangeable.

If the pump is not working, take it off and look at it. Undo the stirrup hold the glass. Does the glass rock on its seat? If so, the top is warped and it will not "suck". If so, it is straightenable, carefully, gently, with boiling water. Otherwise, it might be the diaphragm - was it good for ethanol? They are pretty simple. If the top needs straightening, I have put the method up a couple of times and can do so again if you need it.

• 2 weeks later...

Motor now running good, gear box, clutch working, rear end good.   Not getting fuel into float bowl.  Sprayed float valve couple times think it is fuel pump may have failed  coincidentally.  Will test then send out to be rebuilt.  Then back on the brakes and wheel bearings.  Replaced trans gear oil and rear end oil and changed oil and filter twice so far so good.  New fender skirts from this forum at least it looks good least it looks good..  image.png.79e841440717b1ea0e282dab305d97b7.pngimage.png.5dcf67d4bd18ea11a0cde11674b51e26.png

• 3 weeks later...

Getting there all gear running well, rebuilt fuel pump, float chamber will not re-fill, cleaned float valve as much as I can.  Runs well on the fuel in float bowl then konks out.  Not quite ready for prime time but getting there.  Skirts courtesy of Uptown Dodge from this forum.

image.png.1c67ca7bf8501692b117e038ae53b5f8.png

• Like 3

Are you getting good fuel supply to the Pump and past?  On my 48 Plymouth and my 36 Chrysler the years of sediment in the tank started loosening up with use and plugged the screen on the pickup in the gas tank.  I ended up pulling the tank,  then put a few gallons of evaporust in it,  once I got all the gas out I could.  Let it sit,  then cleaned it out.  It came up spotless on the bottom as no correctly fitting replacement tanks were available.   Cured my starving for gas problem I had been having.  I also added a clear in line filter just to make sure nothing else was coming through. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Auburn seeker said:

"Are you getting good fuel supply to the Pump and past?  On my 48 Plymouth and my 36 Chrysler the years of sediment in the tank started loosening up with use and plugged the screen on the pickup in the gas tank.  I ended up pulling the tank,  then put a few gallons of evaporust in it,  once I got all the gas out I could.  Let it sit,  then cleaned it out.  It came up spotless on the bottom as no correctly fitting replacement tanks were available.   Cured my starving for gas problem I had been having.  I also added a clear in line filter just to make sure nothing else was coming through." 

Auburn Seeker

Fuel Pump seemed to be working well, had carburetor rebuilt.  Engine sounded wonderful  did not prime anything started right up.  Idled good.  Attempts to drive only last for a short time  (few hundred yards) then I think carb stop getting gas.  My son pointed out to me that when I move the car this happens.  So maybe some logic to something else going on in gas tank even though I drained and refilled..  Do not see sediment in fuel bowl so maybe something happening back at the tank.  I know if I open carb now there will be no fuel in float bowl.  A bit frustrating.  South Shore Customs of Plymouth MA will visit me on Saturday to see if they would take on project to help me get it road worthy.  I need professional help

49 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Time to hook up the boat tank and figure out where the restriction is if there is one.

One of the easiest tools for this kind of mystery.

Contemplated that.  I had South Shore Customs up to look at the car this weekend.  They just rebuilt a Galaxy that was starving for gas, problems in the tank.  It will be a month until I can get into shop.  So with a month to wait may implement the boat tank.  Glad some one else contemplated this so not a total wacky idea.  

I have driven many cars with my boat tank strapped to the roof.

Gravity feed straight to the carburetor.

Or, on the passenger floor hooked to the fuel pump. One way to test the pump and line from it to the carb.

Temporary of coarse as it looks funny. But being the old guy in the area my neighbors around here are used to some of my methods.

I went off to rescue a guy a year or so ago and the boat tank was bungeed to his front bumper.

Best of luck.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:08 AM, jpage said:

Have you replaced the flexible line at the pump! Old lines can break down or kink and restrict fuel flow under load.

Yes, this is important. Also, yes, the Packard Ivory on the wheel sunburst is supposed to be that yellow. There really isn't anything ivory about Packard Ivory.

• 4 months later...

Thanks All,

It was couple of hidden rubber gas line connections to steel lines that must have had pinholes.  I know the one that I replaced near the tank was totally deteriorated (leaking) it was pre-ethanol gas line.  So I was losing the "siphon".  Running like a champ now in the shop for brakes and few other items.  Pump and Carb good.

image.png.3d029c8a9052780c9a53040f1b0f9097.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

D2 back from the shop after extensive brake work, running gear, electrics, many thanks to South Shore Customs in Plymouth, MA and Then and Now Auto in Weymouth, MA.  Will go back in the shop in the winter for re vulcanizing motor mount and trans mount and some work on shocks and rubber bushings.  Also trans seals and drill out a broken bolt. And a new windshield regulator installed from This Ole' Coupe. Running good now drives nice.

image.png.127ad57a3e4ba222bf74c6a7afb62365.png

image.png.a0c68896d887c3b84eef9cb139bc0880.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...