need saxon engine info

harvest

I have a couple old saxon engines I would like to date. had these in the barn for many years. finally getting to them to figure out what year/model etc.  pic 2 shows a totally different style tag and reads B-5?  pic 3 shows a brass tag dating 1915.   anyone tell me what year the engine is pic 2?    maybe someone out there can use these engines instead of sitting in my barn?    is there a market for them? better to just sell parts or both together?   Thank you members for your advise.

IMG_9597.JPG

IMG_9598.JPG

IMG_9603.JPG

Saxonmotorcars.com will answer your questions. The B5R series roadsters were 1917. The brass plate is self explanatory. These four cylinder engines are first rate, and plentiful. They tended to outlast the cars, and many of them ended powering sawmills, boats and other homemade stuff.  The value of the engine depends upon its originality, it’s completeness and whether it runs or not. Look especially at the gearing, in the back of the engine, that runs the AK timer,,or distributor. If that is intact, the engine may have some value. You can buy a good Saxon engine for about $500, if it has good compression and a working timer. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...