Golly, that's a cute little TV screen up there....

Okay, confession time. I've owned seven Reattas, and they've all been '90s (convertibles, at that). For the first time ever, I rode in an '89 today, and was absolutely amazed at the CRT. What a neat little device, and what a bunch of information and fun stuff on it. All I've read on the Forum was bitching about fade-out, distortion, failure, etc., so I've always considered myself lucky to have had the Riviera transplant. But this thing was bright and working like a champ. The dash also gives out more information than the '90. Have to admit I couldn't take my eyes off it; lots more fun than the rather dull '90s display laugh.gif !

Jerry

The screen also has hidden talents. By pressing the Off and Warm icons on the climate screen, this action opens the diagnostics for the ECM and BCM. The CRT is indeed neat. You can even program reminders too. No excuse to forget the wife's birthday LOL. Did you get to use all the features?

You must be an ALF fan. That used to be my favorite show. Howard

Better late than never.

Did you enter diagnostics? You can not only look at engine and body codes, but positions of body controls such as brake, park, fourth gear, etc. And when you get bored with that, you can bypass regular functions and turn off injector one or set the IAC for more or less air or turn on the hi fan for testing.

For the true Reatta affectionate, the 1988 and 1989 Reatta with the Graphic Control Center will always get more "oohs" and "aws" than the 1990 and 1991 instrumentation.

And I've never had 1/2% of the problems you read about on this Forum. My CRT's work just fine. (I have two Reattas. Guess which color?)

Welcome to the fascinating world of touch screen Reattas. Don't you wish Buick made 1988 and 1989 Convertibles? Now that would be cool! smile.gifsmile.gif

Now that you have had a ride in a <span style="font-style: italic">real man's Reatta</span> not some frou frou uncomplicated, refined rag top wink.gif I guess you'll just have to do something about it confused.gif <span style="font-weight: bold"> [color:\\"white\\"] Just Joking ! </span>

Didn't know about those functions on the screen. But then I don't have the owners manual for the car either. Will have to play with it a bit. I have had a bit of 'loss of function' on the instrument panel and CRT in hot weather. Usualy comes back on with a whack on the dash board. Saw some discussion on that in another post, tnheygirl I believe. My own diagnosis is a loose connection or crack in a printed circuit. Had the same problem with the instrument panel on an 88 Regal(has same type of instrument panel without the CRT) and turned out to be a slight crack in a printed circuit.

[color:\\"red\\"] "A REAL MAN'S REATTA...? EDSO, I can't believe you said that! A six-cylinder engine, mounted sideways and hooked up to front-wheel drive? Get real, my man. A "man's car" had a honkin', aspirated V-8, four-speed Hurst and rear-wheel drive. The only electronics were the AM radio and cigarette lighter. In what category (except, perhaps, complications squared) would you place the Reatta? Coming off the line against a '69 GTO or'71 Challenger, or on the slalom against a Vette? Reattas are fun cars, but by no stretch are they testosterone producers.

Jerry frown.gif

HA! JJ JJ JJ JJ

As a writer I expected more from you! You are too easy to get wound up.

Did you not see the winking graemlin wink.gif <span style="font-style: italic">ALSO run your cursor and <span style="font-weight: bold"> highlight the hidden text</span> after the ??? graemlin confused.gif and before the! </span> See the hidden message? laugh.gif

I'll repeat it here it confused.gif <span style="font-weight: bold"> [color:\\"white\\"] Just Joking ! </span>

65 289 AC Cobra just might be a real man's car? Oui? Non?

Charlie you too have to <span style="font-style: italic"> run your cursor and <span style="font-weight: bold"> highlight the hidden text</span> after the ??? graemlin confused.gif and before the! </span> in my first message. See the hidden message? laugh.gif

No, Charlie, no one would question our resident sage; he and I poke fun back and forth. EDSO: Don't play games with my mind; I know nothing of hidden messages, and just found it after your last posting. (It's taken me three decades to discover the hidden messages in my wife's conversations.) Hope you really don't think there was anything other than good-natured humor in my reply to you. Hell, man, I've spent $6,754.35 on polishing products you've recommended! (And the back lense is still cloudy.)

Jerry

Know all in fun!

If you have figured out the secret "wife talk" with my marketing experience we can become billionaires. Robert

PS Lets do the OPRAH SHOW first?

do you havre to press 'off' and 'warm' simultaneously? I tried to access that and didn't get anything other than 'off' and 'warmer'. Course I'm new at this Reatta game compared to all you old timers. So humor me a little. I'm also a senior citizen and you know how senior citizens are. Personaly I'm into my second childhood and still getting educated! I still like FAST cars, boats and airplanes!!!

Charlie; Do like yours very much.

Let me do a cut and paste and then change the color to green of the hidden text. The text isn't really hidden it is white the color of your monitor screen.

...about it confused.gif <span style="font-weight: bold"> [color:\\"green\\"] Just Joking ! </span>

Now that you know what you are looking for you should be able to find and highlight it easily.

Edbso

It seems you and G M Ross got me mixed up with another senior citizen, It was Reatta 1 asking the question about codes.

My Reattas' don,t have any codes, If something goes wrong I just throw parts at it. Fortunately I have not had a problem with either of them. I do feel very fortunate,

Charlie smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Straight off the back of my Captain Midnight decoder badge ("simply collect and mail in 12 Ovaltine labels"):

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

ZYXWVUTSRQPONMLKJIHGFEDCBA

Now for tonight's message: SLMP RU BLF OLEV IVZGGZH

Everyone figured it out yet?

Jerry confused.gif

It's reatta1 actualy, not Charlie. Is it possibly because the 88's don't have that function? I've tried all kinds of ways but don't get anything as described in the earlier post. I've tried with engine off, engine running and driving down the road. Maybe I'm just not holding it long enough? confused.gif