Chrysler Windsor: Brake Master Cylinder

Recently brake pedal started going to the floor and requires pumping for good braking. My shoes were almost done so i got that changed first. But the pedal going to the floor is still there. The fact that i do get brakes with pumping is telling me that there is air in the brake system and/or brake fluid low. Is that a right assumption?

I located the master cylinder under the driver cabin floor plate. Opened it to find out Master cylinder has a square nut on it. What i can use to drive a square nut? #Newbie.

Thanks,

Arun

Excessive pedal travel could also mean that your brake shoes are out of adjustment. The shoes must be concentric to the axle. It is special procedure that usually involves specialized tools. A second pump of the brake moves extra brake fluid to push the shoes out farther to contact the drum. You could try and bleed all the lines, however this may not address your excessive pedal travel.

The master cylinder, if you want to inspect or rebuild it, needs to be accessed from the front end of it. Where the brake pedal attaches. Do not attempt to remove the large nut on the rear.

UwiLZ555Yw1UPKeEHiD7ZvCqRu5hIcQbxVrNSMLE

Vc34e9Ri-dKkstG-PMT4FL2dOLYdnIK10FqBIx4C

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

Always adjust the brakes prior to bleeding or it will do no good whatsoever. Start the bleeding from the furthest wheel cylinder and work your way forward. If left hand drive, start with right rear, then go to left rear, then go to right front and end up bleeding the left front cylinder last. An open end wrench or crescent wrench will open the top cap of the reservoir.

• 1 month later...

how difficult it to change a Master Cylinder ?

I'm having the same problem with my 1953 New Yorker's brakes.  Everything is adjusted and there is fluid in the reservoir, no air in the lines... 

I think after all these years, it is time for a master cylinder rebuild or replacement.

If you have to pump the brakes they need to be adjusted. If they are badly out of adjustment you may need to adjust them, drive around for a couple of weeks, and adjust again. Then they will hold their adjustment for months or years.

If you hold the pedal down and it slowly sinks to the floor you need to rebuild the master cylinder or replace it.

• 2 years later...

newbie question here- my 52 Windsor's master cylinder has a bend metal tube coming out of the fill port, used to connect a short hose from a gravity fed system. But when not bleeding the brakes, does that metal tube just stay there? is it supposed to be capped or is air meant to enter the top of the MC? any insight appreciated