Wrapping Patina

It's cool but I would probably take the wrap off after a few months.  The yellow is really nice, imo.   I was at the MB dealer a while back getting daily serviced and saw a new SL either painted or wrapped in flat black.  Seems everyone is getting into the act these days! ?

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I think if the guy wanted a rusted looking car he could have found one.

That wrap with the glossy finish looks like a total waste of time to me.

Now he wants to trade if for something else to screw up ??

Sometimes I just don't get some peoples motivation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Mother nature wrapped all of these.

vintage auto 012.JPG

What happened to the roof of that 52? Buick sedan that was either brown or all surface rusted in the left of the picture? 

If they would have used a flat wrap it would have been closer to realistic looking.   I've seen them on other cars, usually selling some product or service.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

The salvage yards out here are really good about cutting up a car, if you need a piece. My guess is the center roof section was cut out to fill in a soft top, or to replace a roof that was being chopped. We are loosing the salvage yards, just like every where. My favorite one was cleared out and scrapped years ago for some houses. Still no houses, and a big kick in the _______  to all of us who build/restore cars. Still lots of good stuff at this one.

• Like 1

I think it looks awful.  For starters, rust isn't shiny, so it looks wrong even for what its supposed to be.  I completely fail to understand the desire to want your car to look like a junker.  I personally think the patina, barn find, all original stuff has gotten way out of hand.  To my eye, patina, barn find, all original only counts if its still presentable.  If it looks like a wreck, then it needs to be restored.  I'm attaching a photo of my 1942 Packard ambulance as found.  I am currently almost six-figures into having it professionally restored.  I suppose I should have ignored the rust, missing parts, rotted wood framing, and all around neglect so that I could proudly have it shake itself to pieces every time it got transported to a show just so I could brag about it being all original.

Packard7.jpg

• Like 1

Real Steel, I think it just shows how popular that look, like the one on your truck, really is. Your truck could have the same value as a restored one. I know a wrap could be done in a flat finish, so there is no gloss/clear coat look. Interesting to see what people say. I thought it might get mixed opinions. Great looking truck.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Real Steel, I think it just shows how popular that look, like the one on your truck, really is. Your truck could have the same value as a restored one. I know a wrap could be done in a flat finish, so there is no gloss/clear coat look. Interesting to see what people say. I thought it might get mixed opinions. Great looking truck.

Thanks for posting the Cad ad, its entertaining.  You mentioned the value of a patina car can be the same as a restored one...I know this to be true.  I HAD to sell my 1925 Dodge Brothers roadster a few years ago, and the patina looked just like my truck in the above photo.  It sold for the same price as the restored  mid-20s DBs that were on the market around that time.  I so much miss that car!

3 hours ago, Real Steel said:

Its weird, and wonderful, but mostly weird.  I love patina and drive my real patina pickup daily.  I don't think I would do one like this Cad though.

After 1 - cropped tighter.jpg

Not every day for me but when ever I can drive mine I will, (I know it is a 49 hood ornament on a 50, but the hood ornament was on my Grandfathers car), and your right it is pretty wierd

IMG_4930.JPG

IMG_4939.JPG

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

I think that the '53 Cadillac on Craig's List is pretty nice except that the suspension has collapsed.  It will take several fork lifts and a roll back to move it ... maybe a skyhook.   It looks kinda  dumb settin' on the ground like that; however, as I approach my "golden years", maybe I'll need a car I can fall into instead of stepping (up?) into.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, capngrog said:

I think that the '53 Cadillac on Craig's List is pretty nice except that the suspension has collapsed.  It will take several fork lifts and a roll back to move it ... maybe a skyhook.   It looks kinda  dumb settin' on the ground like that; however, as I approach my "golden years", maybe I'll need a car I can fall into instead of stepping (up?) into.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Grog

The newer cars I own, one requires me to take a controlled fall  to get in it, I cringe when I attempt to get out, the truck I cringe when I attempt to climb in and get out by a controlled fall

17 hours ago, superior1980 said:

I think it looks awful.  For starters, rust isn't shiny, so it looks wrong even for what its supposed to be.  I completely fail to understand the desire to want your car to look like a junker.  I personally think the patina, barn find, all original stuff has gotten way out of hand.  To my eye, patina, barn find, all original only counts if its still presentable.  If it looks like a wreck, then it needs to be restored.  I'm attaching a photo of my 1942 Packard ambulance as found.  I am currently almost six-figures into having it professionally restored.  I suppose I should have ignored the rust, missing parts, rotted wood framing, and all around neglect so that I could proudly have it shake itself to pieces every time it got transported to a show just so I could brag about it being all original.

Packard7.jpg

I don't remember when I last had a vehicle transported to a show.

Six figures and it still doesn't run?

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

I don't remember when I last had a vehicle transported to a show.

Six figures and it still doesn't run?

If you noticed, I had said that was a photo taken as found, not as it exists today.  My point was with the current, and in my opinion, overblown, importance placed on patina, barn finds, all originals, I could have done nothing to the ambulance, saved A LOT of money, displayed it as-is while bragging about the patina and its originality, and then just watched it continue to deteriorate.  But hey, look at that patina, and its all original!  And all the rotted wood body framing pieces that were on the floor whenever the car got moved were also all original.

I thought about having rust colored paint airbrushed on a pickup to give it that well used look but decided I would get tired of it after awhile and would take a real artist to make it look real.

This '24 Packard Single Eight is what I call a "Patina" car .

790577059_PackardSingleEight5.thumb.JPG.ce5a96997fbe7d365a47d87dc7866da0.JPG

My notes on it are: Packard 1924 Sports Tourer - driven daily! An original survivor originally bought to break the Trans- Australia Perth- Sydney record! Never restored! No major mechanical overhaul has been undertaken on this car! It is amazing!

Packard Single Eight.JPG

Packard Single Eight3.JPG

Packard Single Eight4.JPG

Packard Single Eight6.JPG

• Like 3

When my 1980 Volare was filmed for the pilot of the TV show Empire the make up people asked if they could make it look more worn out and rusty. They assured me an easy clean up would follow so I said OK.   They turned it into a real rust bucket. However the clean up was a lot more work than I thought it would be.