1995 Riv Cruise Control Problem

Caballero2

I have an intermittent problem with cruise control on my '95 Riv. It will set when the engine compartment is cold and will not set when it heats up. The servo has been replaced twice, to no avail. Adjustments have been made to the cable and electrical connection has been checked from the ignition to the computer and to the servo. They are both good. Has anyone else had this problem as the mechanic doesn't know where to go next.

The steering column was disassembled once when a module failed that controlled the thermostat, causing the thermostat to remain open causing the cooling fan never to kick on. The cruise control problem began after this failure and the steering column was reassembled. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Edited by Caballero2 (see edit history)

Need wiring diagram in shop manual with troubleshooting flow chart. You can find them on ebay. See what inputs the computer needs for cruise to set, monitor all these inputs. Such as cruise button pushed, brake not depressed, minimum speed reached, etc. I didn't say it was easy. 

Of course the steering column might be an issue, what module is in the column that needed to be replaced? 

On 7/17/2018 at 3:53 PM, Frank DuVal said:

Need wiring diagram in shop manual with troubleshooting flow chart. You can find them on ebay. See what inputs the computer needs for cruise to set, monitor all these inputs. Such as cruise button pushed, brake not depressed, minimum speed reached, etc. I didn't say it was easy. 

Of course the steering column might be an issue, what module is in the column that needed to be replaced? 

The module in the steering column that was replaced was cbe47.

Hmmm,  a Google search brought up CBE47 to be the ignition control module by  BWD (Borg Warner Division's newish name). This is the module the three ignition coils snap onto. I've not see a GM car where this was associated with the steering column, as the coil leads go to the spark plugs, so shorter the better.

At the time the steering column was torn down, we suspected the ignition switch to be the culprit. It was not. That search was the result of the Riviera dying in the middle of the road on I-25. We let it cool and it started and we drove it home. The problem that time was a thermostat that was always open and not allowing the cooling fan to kick on.

After that service the cruise control began giving problems. The outside air does seem to affect the setting of the cruise. We have a cool day today so I plan to test it. Will let you know.