NEEDING HELP WITH A BUSINESS IN PHOENIX

Terry Wiegand

The Pre-War Buick folks on here have heard me speak many times about Classic Carburetors in Phoenix, Arizona.  These guys are the absolute best at restoring the brass-bodied Marvel Carburetors.  I received an email earlier today asking if I knew what was going on with the business.  The fellow said that he had heard that there was a death in the business.  I had spoken with one of the guys at Classic earlier this Spring about doing some more work for me.  I asked how Mark was doing and he told me then that he had a serious health issue, so, news of a death was not a total surprise to me.  I am going to ask for some help from one or more of you guys out there.  IF there are any of you out there who happen to be close to the Phoenix area, could you please check out the business and let us know what might be going on at this time.  Classic Carburetors is located at 3217 East Shea Boulevard #440, Phoenix, Arizona.  Their phone is (602) 971-3300.  Mark Buber is/was the owner along with his wife Mary.  I sure hope that they do not close the business.  They are extremely nice people to deal with and do excellent work.  I will thank you for checking things out if it is at all possible.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas  aka Doo Dah

• Thanks 1

Stones throw from my house...

No such business there. I've lived right around the corner since 1994 but have never heard of or seen this business in that strip mall. All suites are single digits starting with a pawn shop (#1) and there are only 5 businesses in the entire strip mall.... no such 440 suite.

Doing a search online and it shows the address to be 3116 E Shea but that is where another small strip mall sits with no carb shop.

Are you sure they aren't located elsewhere or go by a different name. I know Rods Carburetors are very good at carb rebuilds but they aren't even close to that location, they are downtown in central Phoenix

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

30Dodge,

Classic Carburetors has been in the Phoenix area for at least 25+ years.  They have been on Shea Boulevard since I have known about them.  It has been quite a few years ago that I believe they moved across the street or something to that effect.  The address of 3217 East Shea Boulevard #440 Is a good location.  I have sent packages via UPS and USPS to them there.  Will be sending you a PM for Mark Buber's address.  Thank you for the reply.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

There are/were two owners, the other is/was Larry Young.

We have been selling them rebuilding kits since 1988. And I have been recommending them since we quit rebuilding because of our kit demand.

They were at 3116 East Shea, and within the last couple of years moved to 3217 East Shea. We have shipped/mailed several hundred packages to the two addresses.

I also would like to know what happened. Never met either in person; but have had many telephone conversations over the years. Really good people!

Seems to me at one time there was also a Cottonwood address, but we never shipped to it; and that was several years ago.

Last contact 16 April 2018.

Jon

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

I certainly hope they have not gone out of business,  I sent them the carburetor off my 1928 Buick standard almost three and a half months ago.  I called them about two months ago and they said they had not started on it yet because they were overloaded with work but would be getting to it shortly.  I have heard nothing since and several phone calls in the past couple of days to their number have just rung busy or gone unanswered. I was just about to call the BBB to see what they had on them. 

If you do a google search you'll see no such business at 3217 or 3116 E Shea Blvd. Never has been and never will be because this area of businesses aren't coded for that line of work.

If you want I can  take pictures of every business in that shopping mall and at 3116 E Shea Blvd.. no such carb shop at either location, guaranteed.

Maybe they've had an affiliation with a valid business in this area and have used those business addresses for mailing purposes only but I'm telling you guys it's not there...   I've been a frequent visitor to these lot of business's for over 25 years and have never seen a carb shop in either location. I get my hair cut at 3116 E Shea Blvd and buy my hoagies from Uncles Sams at 3217 E Shea Blvd. 

You all may have shipped and sent parts to these addresses with success in the past but I guarantee all of you, there is no such carb shop at either location. Never has been.

I do have a contact for the owner Mark Bubers personal residence around the corner so I will do some door knocking to see if I can get some answers for everyone.

Hopefully everything is ok.. be patient, I'll let you know as soon as I get any answers.

30DodgePanel - not arguing, I am not there, and you are. However, over a 27 year period we mailed/UPSed 423 packages to Classic Carbs at those two addresses. I have my complete sales history on archive disk, and easy to check.

If you don't mind, would you ask the folks currently at 3217 East Shea if they can shed any light on the subject?

As I mentioned earlier, seems I remember Larry once speaking about a Cottonwood address, but we never shipped anything to it, and I don't know the actual address.

I understand those of you having rare carburetors there wishing to get them back. I can only suggest patience. If there has been a death, as rumored, these things take time. My interest is purely personal, as I consider these folks good friends.

Jon.

• Like 2

All,

This is not a case of a business operating in an underhanded or crooked manner.  I, personally, have done a lot of business with these folks over the years, as has Jon.  Mark and Mary Buber along with Larry Young are/were some of the nicest folks to do business with that a person would ever run into.  I think that everyone here will agree that an untimely death will really throw a kink in things.  It will take a little time to get things sorted out and I am sure that no one will lose anything that has been sent to them.  I will second everything that Jon has said.  I got to know these folks over the years and I sent a lot of business their way.  I am positive that things will work out in the end.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 1

The address of the UPS store is 3217 E Shea Blvd. So they were probably using that address to accept packages. I have an address of 11822 N 31st Street (Phoenix) as the residence. Maybe someone can check that out. This address is listed as the residence of Larry L Young and Mary Buber. Maybe they were the married couple and Mark was Mary's brother? In a Google obituary search, I found a very short notice that Larry L Young was born Jan 5 1936 and died Jun 1 2018.

Edited by Justin Trump (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Just to clarify, 

my last post was not meant as combative in any way nor was I implying the business was shady, just simply stating that I've never seen this business at these addresses in my years in the neighborhood.

UPS is probably the answer but I didn't want to say anything till I know for sure...

I'm just getting off from a long day at work and will head over there to see if anyone answers the door tonight to see if they can help clarify who any prospective buyers or folks that need carb work can contact.

• Like 2

Gate was locked at the street and no movement from what I could tell. I did find a neighbor that sounds willing to help so I left my phone number with her. 
She will try to get answers and may be calling me or Terry to let us know if Mark is ok. According to what she said, she isn't sure what's going on but will poke around and let us know asap. Very nice helpful lady and spoke highly of Larry and Mark... we talked for over an hour as she told me her dad was a mechanical engineer and was one of the few who rebuilt Triumph TR3 carbs on a regular basis for folks around the country, his name was Bob Shaller. Figured I'd mention it as I'm guessing some of you on here such as Jon may recall dealing with him in the past. If so,,, very small world indeed. The small irony in this for me is that I had an uncle named Larry Young (same surname) that past recently so this venture trying to find answers for strangers I've never met is fun in a lot of ways. 

I hope I've helped guys, will let you know as soon as she contacts me, or Mark may be in contact with one of you soon once she talks to him.

I did see fresh tracks in the driveway at the entrance to the locked gate as we just had a recent rain so I think it's just a matter of time before we get a response.

I just remembered that 3116 E Shea used to have a suite for shipping and receiving, a mini post office of sorts next to the barber but closed right about the time a UPS office opened across the corner at 3217 E Shea. Makes complete sense now..

1 hour ago, Brian_Heil said:

Several empty store fronts at 3116 below. 

No idea when the last time Google Earth updated any of these pics.

It's been a while...

the suite to the right of Barber has a tenant now but the corner suite on the far right used to be Little Peking Chinese restaurant (damn good btw, I sure do miss them) but that suite is currently under renovation for a new tenant. No idea who is going in there though.

A quick update on the original posting.  I got a call from a BCA member who has a Marvel carburetor with  Classic Carburetors.  He was wanting to know if I knew any more about the situation at this point.  I am sorry to say that I do not.  I have a call into 30Dodge to see what he can tell me.  I have not heard back from him as yet.  At this time I am just not sure what is the best way to go.  As soon as I hear anything I will post it on here.  This is a sad situation on several fronts.  These guys were absolutely fabulous with working on these old Marvel units.  They understood them and when they were finished with them they were totally functional works of art.  I simply do not know of anybody out there who can do what they did.  It will really be sad to see the business cease operation if that is indeed what happens.  The photo is of the carburetor for my 1916 D-45.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

1916 BUICK CARBURETOR 008.jpg

Edited by Terry Wiegand
GRAMMAR (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Waiting to hear from neighbor guys. If she doesn’t call me by 3pm AZ time tomorrow I’ll make another trip over there to see if I can find out anymore. Will post or call Terry as soon as I hear something.

Terry I left a voice message with you last night and will let you know as soon as I hear something.

I’m happy to help guys and gals but please be patient as my long hours at work dictate the free time I have right now.

• Like 1

30Dodge,

All of us on here appreciate what you are doing to find out what is going on.  As I have stated on here, it will be a shame if the shop is closed up.  These folks did fantastic work for many years.  I also know that the big concern is the getting back of the units that were sent to them for restoration.  All that can be done right now is to be patient and see how things work out.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Land Line Phone - (620) 665-7672

Ok guys I couldn’t wait till tomorrow so I ran over to the neighbors house tonight who’s helping out. She’s not sure but thinks Larry was the one who was rebuilding the carbs. She did speak to Mark and his wife (the daughter of Larry) and they are still grieving as you can imagine. She did tell me that Mark has Terry’s number and will promise to call Terry soon. 

• Thanks 1

Terry, when I got home about 9:00 p.m. Wednesday nite there was a box with my carburetor and a check for my deposit on my door step.  The memo line on the check was the only explanation .  It read "refund sorry".    It was signed by Mary Buber.  The address shown on the check is 11822 N.31 ST. Street Phoenix. Az 85028-1215.  No telephone number is listed.  I will be writing Mary a letter thanking her for the return of my carburetor and deposit and expressing my sympathy for her loss.

• Like 6

I received my Schebler SX carburetor back from Classic Carburetors (just returned, not rebuilt) but they still have my Marvel TD. I hope they're still working on returning carbs to everyone but it's strange that they didn't send both of mine back at the same time.

Jeff Trahan

• 4 weeks later...

Ben,   Have you put a new cork float in.  The old floats become saturated causing flooding.  Also the float pin often becomes stuck if slightly worn.  When dismantled they move freely but when reassembled they stick causing flooding.  Remove the float cover and push down on the needle valve while the engine is running. to check it is re - seating properly.

1920 carby.jpg

• 4 months later...

Ben:

I had similar issues with my car after the engine rebuild even though the carb had worked before the rebuild. Fuel pouring out etc. 

Only running for no more than a minute. It was a timing issue which I remedied.  It was 15 degrees here last week and I ran the engine for a half hour in my unheated garage. Doors open of course! 35 degrees today and I intend too run it today also.  These still need to be run occasionally as I do with my 1937 in storage 2 blocks away.  Do not be afraid.