Cooper Duesenberg at auction

ericmac

It's an open secret who ended up with the car........but it won't be me who spills the beans............. a fantastic new owner, as good as the last three pillars of the hobby. Most of all, it will see the road on a regular basis, much more than it has in decades. My only question is will we see it on the Duesenberg tour in New England in mid September.......... I would bet its a 50/50 chance!?

One of the hidden gems of Pebble is the lot where we detail and service the car before and after the tour. I see more interesting things in the lot in two hours than I see for an entire year at all the other shows and events. If it's cool, beautiful, or has a ridiculous amount of horsepower on wheels, you will see it there. There ware over a dozen Tuckers running around, and a handful of Type 57's, a dozen or so Duesenbergs, Isotta's..........not the BMW!, and more Ferrari"s than you can shake a stick at. We call it car drunk............ after a while it takes something crazy spectacular to get your attention. 

IMG_7744.JPG

IMG_7682.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ericmac said:

These are some really great photos. Any one of the cars here would be a best of show contender at a lesser event. I need to get out there someday!

If you love true quality cars you have to get out there, no mater what your station in life you will fit in. If memory is correct they had cars come in from 17 different countries. Bob 

For the last ten years I have been selling parts to the biggest car collector in India. He brought his 1930 Stutz LeBaron Dual Cowl Speedster. It was fun to work on a car we made and sold parts for on the other side of the world. Meeting the owner was a treat after hundreds of emails and a few phone calls. A gentleman who broke down in England several years ago in his 1957 Ferrari and I assisted on the side of the road to get running recognized me and bought me a drink on the field..........every hard core car guy should do Pebble if possible, also Amelia. It’s hard to explain it to someone who has never been. Everyone there is hardcore automobile enthusiasts with gasoline in their veins..............you have something in common with everyone there. 

BB1C4F08-1787-42EB-AF5C-8D0B8CE059F4.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish I had the time to get more diverse car photos........I tend to be near the earlier stuff. There is a YouTube video of three hours from this years show........I haven’t watched it yet but I will. I probably only saw twenty five percent of the cars on the field, and about half on the auction cars at RM and Gooding. There simply isn’t enough time. I missed meeting up with several friends, even on a relatively small field the crowds are overpowering and it’s almost impossible to find anyone your looking for. I was on the grass with the car by 7:10 and didn’t get off till 6:30, with no place to sit and no bathrooms close enough to use in a timely manner. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Gus Reuter did this Mercedes after the Wind Swept Rolls, it was rerestored and won Pebble Beach and is in the gray car above. This is the color scream it arrived and left in.  A high end car restoration doesn't last long, new owners want them to look different I guess. 

Bob 

th5BY6V2AW.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)