'57 Thunderbird generator/regulator

Denver T-Bird

I am new to having an "older" car.   I took the generator and voltage regulator to a shop to be tested. The generator was good, the regulator tested bad.  I replaced the regulator and tried to polarize the generator by touching the regulator field wire to the battery wire for about 2 seconds (per instructions in the shop manual.)   When the car is not running, the voltage across the battery is about 13 Volts, after starting the engine the voltage drops to 12.7.   If I remove the positive battery cable when the engine is running it dies.  Any suggestions? 

I have heard of other methods to polarize the generator - what is the most reliable way to do this?

This sound normal.  Starting the car will pull the battery voltage down and a generator does not charge much at idle.  Depending on the car, the battery may have to be in the circuit for the car to run.  Take the car out for a drive an then check the volts.

61polara, I have a 76 dodge power wagon, it came with an electronic control unit, and I'm switching to points and condenser. Do you know if my alternator will still work? And if a regular dodge mechanical voltage regulator will handle the current from alt. to v.r.? I found a v.r. from rock auto made by standard that is rated for 40 amps, just want to be sure I'm getting the right stuff. If you don't know, would you be able to point me in the right direction? Thanks James 

14 hours ago, Denver T-Bird said:

I am new to having an "older" car.   I took the generator and voltage regulator to a shop to be tested. The generator was good, the regulator tested bad.  I replaced the regulator and tried to polarize the generator by touching the regulator field wire to the battery wire for about 2 seconds (per instructions in the shopmanual.)   When the car is not running, the voltage across the battery is about 13 Volts, after starting the engine the voltage drops to 12.7.   If I remove the positive battery cable when the engine is running it dies.  Any suggestions? 

I have heard of other methods to polarize the generator - what is the most reliable way to do this?

You  MUST disconnect the field wire to polarize the generator. Otherwise you will burn the contacts in the voltage regulator (ie: destroy it!)

21 hours ago, Denver T-Bird said:

I replaced the regulator and tried to polarize the generator by touching the regulator field wire to the battery wire for about 2 seconds (per instructions in the shop manual.)

I think you should burn your shop manual.......2 seconds in electrical speed is an eternity and way more than enough to have taken out the regulator.

All it takes is a quick (as in almost instantaneous) touch of the hot wire to polarize the generator.

Too late now but did you polarize the regulator as well?

• Like 1

I made some measurement at the regulator and got the following:

Voltages

RPM     1800           800

Batt.      13.5V       13.4V

Field.      mV

Arm.     13.8V          13.6V

Resistance (removed the positive cable from  the battery)

Batt.  48.5K ohms

Field.   2 ohms

Arm.   0.6 ohms

Thanks

Edited by Denver T-Bird
Update (see edit history)

With everything hooked up, and with clean and tight battery cables,  have the engine running at idle and measure the battery voltage at the battery.  Then increase engine speed to about 1500 rpm and again record battery voltage.  Does battery voltage increase at higher rpm?  If battery is good and strong and fully charged, change in voltage can be small.

Part 2 - repeat above test with headlights on.  This will place a load on the charging system.  At idle, battery voltage should be lower and should increase when rpms are increased.  If generator does not put out at least 13v at higher engine speed, then regulator or generator may be suspect.  The regulator also needs to be well grounded to the car.

I do not have a t-bird.  The above tests are from my experiences with generator equipped old cars.

Most Ford generators are "B" circuit. The instructions in the Mercury shop manual above are for B circuit.

Performing an "A" circuit polarizing on a "B" circuit will cause damage.?

Explanation here:

http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/tech_tips_polarizing_generator.php

I think the battery is charging now.  Battery voltage initially was 12.8V (engine not running), then 12.6V at 800 rpm , and 14V  at 2000 rpm. 

Now back to the original problem .... The turn signals blow a 7 amp fuse and takes out the flasher.  I have not found an obvious short or worn wires.  The first thought was that fuse was taken out by over current from a faulty regulator, but now that the regulator has been replaced not sure where to go.   The parking lights work.  Is there a way for the signal switch to cause an issue?

Thanks to all for the help.

Seems like a short in the turn signal wiring.  Each bulb front and back has a separate contact for the blinker function.  The back bulbs also function as the stop lights.  Do you blow a fuse when the brakes are applied?  Do the brake lights work?  If brake lights work then it seems the issue is in the front.  I would look at the front bulb wiring as the only time it’s brighter bulb elements are on is when the turn signals are activated with the turn signal switch.  Post an update on the brake test.

The break lights work and do not blow a fuse - I believe that they are not connected with the turn signal fuse.  The signal lights work when just sitting but the fuse blows when driving around. Maybe the short happens when the wheel is turned??

Thanks

Driving around could be vibrations in the bulb sockets or wiring.  If due to short in steering column, you should be able to test that sitting still.  Turn wheel from extreme left to extreme right with turn signal on.  You may want to have a supply of fuses and turn signal flashers for troubleshooting use!

Most turn signal bulbs are 1157 dual element. The low wattage element is the parking light / running light and the high wattage element is the brake / turn signal function.  The high wattage element is about 28 watts per bulb when lit x2 for front and back so about 56 watts.  Using ohms law that means at 12v supply you need about 5 amps to operate the turn signals which is ok for a 7 amp fuse.  

You can lower your wattage use and maybe help with your troubleshooting by installing LED versions of the 1157 bulb in either the front OR back sockets.  If you replace all four bulbs the turn signals probably won’t work as the flasher requires the higher current draw of the standard filament bulbs to operate.

Hope this helps!

Terry

6 minutes ago, Denver T-Bird said:

I don't understand why the flasher gets taken out - it is down from fuse.  For trouble shooting can I connect the two wires at the flasher to see what is blowing the fuse then add the flasher after the fuse is fixed?

Thanks

Sorry, im not sure about the connection you propose.  The flasher needs the current to the bulb to operate.  The old flashers work by heat, that is, the bulb current through an element inside the flasher causes heat and that heat in turn opens and closes the circuit.  If a bulb burns out the flasher will not operate as you might have seen before this problem.

The fact you are killing the flasher indicates you are drawing a LOT of current in the bulb circuit, so much and so quickly even the fuse can’t protect it.  I makes me think there is a dead short to ground somewhere.  The led bulb idea was to allow just some low value of current to be drawn as you try to find the issue.  

Sitting in the garage , ACC on, both signals worked consistently.  Started the car and turned the wheel far right with the signal on then turned the wheel far left with the signal on- all OK.  I took the car out for a drive.  I used the right signal many times with no problem.  Next tried the left signal, it worked once or twice then the fuse blew.  The flasher is still working.  
Only thing I can think of is to turn on the left flasher and rattle wires around until the left signal stops/fuse blows.

Agreed, seems to be in the left side. Check the sockets and wiring.  Remove the bulbs and look inside the sockets for corrosion.  Tug on some wires. Is the bulb loose in the socket?  I’m thinking the voltage to the turn signal part of the bulb is getting a direct path to ground.  May have to CAREFULLY move wires under dash too.  Making some progress!

Removed the left signal light and used some sand paper to clean up the inside of the socket.  Turned the key to ACC and turned on the left signal.  Started rattling wires around, first under the hood- nothing happened, still flashing, then under the dash, nothing.  Moved to the trunk and rattled wires on the left side - nothing, still flashing.  Opened and shut the drivers door and the fuse blew, also took out the flasher.  Still trying to track this down ....

The flasher has two prongs, correct?  I think I understand your idea for substituting a wire for the flasher.  This might be an option but NOT with voltage applied as the flasher burning up may be protecting you from a burnt wiring harness if it was not there.  Wiring  a fuse in place of the flasher for testing might be a better option, it would be easier than constantly replacing the flasher.  Still thinking about a test procedure to isolate the problem.

Seem like the problem is “fixed” with a new fuse and flasher until the next time a bump is encountered with the left turn signal on so it’s not a continuous condition.  You could use a wire or a wire with a fuse in it to bypass the flasher while working on it. I’m thinking the problem might be in the steering column wires or front turn signal.  I think the tail light wiring is ok in that you never loose the brake light fuse.  If the rear lights were a problem the stoplight fuse should be blowing too.

If you have the wiring diagram for the car you might be able to trace the wires that are energized when the turn signal is on.  There are plugs involved and switches and wires in the steering column to investigate. I will be glad to try and answer any questions you might have.  A 57 Tbird specific sight might have ideas too.

Found the cause of the problem - pulled the left front signal wire from the socket to the junction block and went for a drive.  Both signals worked all the time.  So the issue is with the light socket or wiring to the junction block.  How can the bulb create a short in the socket? 

• Thanks 1

BTW, old trick to find fuse blowing issues without investing in piles of fuses:

Put two wires on a headlamp (sealed beam) and use this in place of the fuse. When the headlamp burns bright, the short is present. In a normal circuit, the headlamp can pass enough current (has very low resistance at no glow to dull glow of the filament) to operate most circuits up to a few amps with out burning bright. Place headlamp where you can see it when shaking wires, moving or banging on stuff.

After much digging, the rubber grommet around the signal light socket housing was bent around and not inserted into thru the fender allowing the insulation on the wire near the light socket to be worn off. The bare wire shorted to the chassis intermittently.  Thanks for the inputs.

• Thanks 1