Moving along to the sixties, let's compare these icons:

Roger Frazee

The Valient has my vote for best.  My parents bought one brand new and it was not only great looking, it performed fantastically.  That slant six engine was indestructible and the push-button torqueflite was great and unbreakable.  It had a lot of go and handled nicely.  Think they won a styling award shortly after introduction.   Wish I had another one - black with red interior. 

Terry

• Like 3

I drove a '62 Plymouth Belvedere for a time with the slant 6 and push button tranny.

It burned a quart of oil every 100 miles but NEVER failed to start or fouled a plug.

My grandmother had a '62 Ford Falcon with the small 6 and 3 on the tree.......the car I took for my drivers license test.......and passed the first time.

I drove both cars extensively and can't fault either one of them.

I'll second the Corvair.

Pretty innovative for 1960. 

A good balance of sport and economy. Got much better looking too, as the model progressed.

Unfortunately, one crusader can do a lot of damage.

Don't forget the Pontiac Tempest!  The rear transaxle was a unique pitch to obtain weight balance.  The development and failure of the design is a good read.  Photo from Hemings Motor News

tempest.jpg

• Like 3

I'll take a Studebaker Lark V8 for its durability and availability in almost all body styles, although mechanically, Valiant's slant-six was arguably the most bullet proof engine of all the six-cylinder compacts.

Craig

In 1970, I had a 65 Mustang Conv. and a 65 Plymouth Barracuda.

No comparison, quality of materials, fit & finish and reliability, Mustang was much better.

Sold the Barracuda and kept the Mustang another 24 years, Great choice.2009609461_65MustangConv..thumb.jpg.7c1e9e5af23876f95fd2a5db5c4472ff.jpg.For best car of the 1960's, my vote in the VW Beetle.1972600400_VWFounders.thumb.jpg.0ebce2e30c5e24bd1828607685c3c56d.jpgtle.

It said 1960, not 1960s, so that leaves out Pontiac Tempest, Buick Special/Skylark, Olds F-85, Mustang, Dodge Lancer, etc etc. You did leave out the Studebaker Lark picture.

I also vote Corvair, very innovative. Still drive them!

4 hours ago, TerryB said:

Rambler has my nod for compact car of that era. 

I am going to go with that as well. My Father owned a few, not because he thought they were good, but we lived in the Bronx and he said nobody would steal them that was why he owned them!

• Haha 3

More small car info from a Nov 1959 issue of Small Car purchased from the AACA library sales booth at the Black Swan antique mall in Palmyra PA.  A great source of info for only $4 and it supports the library too!  

The first Falcon had a 144.3 ci engine rated at 85 hp.  Zero to 60mph time for the auto trans was a blistering 25.1 seconds.  The reviewer said that’s not a bad time for an automatic.  My question, compared to what?  A turtle?

Terry

387D605E-59D4-4490-BC74-FC54A92730ED.jpeg

D44BDD31-D323-4148-B844-0C1D0B922197.jpeg

D148842E-D81B-4CEE-B448-78559B62A930.jpeg

623248A7-EB50-4DB0-A8BE-71A15A09C744.jpeg

C07F7CB3-7B37-40C8-B2D4-3594B19EB470.jpeg

Best looking: Valliant - minus 1 for Lancer with plain trunk lid. Was the 4bbl carb available in '60 ?

Most fun to drive: Corvair with camber compensator (like the LMs better myself)

This is impossible to answer. Back in the day my favorite was Corvair. I owned one and was impressed with the unique design. Later I switched to Valiants which were the best performing, best handling, and probably best overall. But given my choice today I would take a Lark VIII hardtop.

Was not impressed with the Falcon which was too bland and had reliability issues or the Rambler which was known as a loser's car.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

5 hours ago, TerryB said:

More small car info from a Nov 1959 issue of Small Car purchased from the AACA library sales booth at the Black Swan antique mall in Palmyra PA.  A great source of info for only $4 and it supports the library too!  

The first Falcon had a 144.3 ci engine rated at 85 hp.  Zero to 60mph time for the auto trans was a blistering 25.1 seconds.  The reviewer said that’s not a bad time for an automatic.  My question, compared to what?  A turtle?

Terry

387D605E-59D4-4490-BC74-FC54A92730ED.jpeg

D44BDD31-D323-4148-B844-0C1D0B922197.jpeg

D148842E-D81B-4CEE-B448-78559B62A930.jpeg

623248A7-EB50-4DB0-A8BE-71A15A09C744.jpeg

C07F7CB3-7B37-40C8-B2D4-3594B19EB470.jpeg

With a 3 speed manual behind the 144 the Falcon could move pretty good... First and second are pretty peppy... third, long and slow acceleration. For a city car... its perfect. Drove one as a daily driver up until recently. Great little car.

Having owned all 1960 Falcon, Corvair and Rambler, the Valiant was an automatic and 4 doors.

I would have to say the Valiant was the best followed by the Rambler.

The Falcon was under powered, the Corvair was fun to drive only in warm dry weather and was better than a "63 bug.

(side note)

The Valiant was a stand alone brand for 1960, it became a Plymouth model in 1961.

18 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

the Corvair was fun to drive only in warm dry weather

Yes, the 60 model was plagued with carburetor icing problems. But, once that was solved, it was the better winter car than the others. Saying in the mountains was the Corvair with studded snow tires was only stopped by high centering.? This is also why there were so many rusty Corvairs from salt damage. If they didn't run in the winter they would be rust free garage queens.

Mustang owners object when I point out what Dave says, that the Mustang is just a fancy Falcon!?

BTW, if it wasn't for the success of the "sporty" version of the Corvair, the Monza (bucket seats standard, optional 4 on the floor), the Mustang would not have been developed. So all you Mustang fans can thank Ed Cole, Bill Mitchell and Lee Iacocca. Flame suit on....?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1