Riviera Custom Built For you

Turbinator

RRB,

Did you happen to notice that at the ROA meet in Overland Park that my '90 had an actual 1990 KS plate on it that I had on a car at the time?  I forgot about it and drove it home, then continued to drive it around as we do with the '90 plate still on it.  It wasn't until a couple of days ago that I remember it was still on the car.  Hopefully I'll remember to swap it out before driving off again.

Ed

The constabulary in your locale probably know you and your vehicle and do not notice.

The police in my area actually wave and give a thumbs up when I’m in the Red Riviera. I have a single tag and no stickers.

If I had not already said, then I really enjoyed meeting you and discussing this that. Folks that know about things gives me an opportunity to learn. I know you were one of the outstanding teachers. The math is not as hard as setting up the equation. I remembered a piece of math I used to figure out how many oz of 2 stroke oil I needed to add to my 2.6 oz. bottle of oil to get a 40:1 ratio mix in 1 gallon of gasoline, when the 2.6 oz gave me 50:1. I came up with .6 of an oz was needed to make 3.2 oz for the 40:1 mix. The two stroke engine seems to run better on 40:1. Probably an old woodsmen tale.

To be absolutely 100% authentic, someone needs to be able to reproduce the font used by Buick when these plaques were returned to them for engraving.  I have the original plaque from the gentleman who ordered my 63 as a new car.  I've had any number of the reproduction plaques but have never found that original font. ?

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

To be absolutely 100% authentic, someone needs to be able to reproduce the font used by Buick when these plaques were returned to them for engraving.  I have the original plaque from the gentleman who ordered my 63 as a new car.  I've had any number of the reproduction plaques but have never found that original font. ?

Ed, do you know the name of the font originally used? I have two original metal Riviera dash placques and  it is easy enough for me to match the font as close as humanly possible. As you have pointed out for the plaque to be 100% original the plaque should be metal.

The blank placques I found are plastic. I found the price point for the plastic and all involved an outstanding value when I saw the faux brushed stainless appearance. Some folks like their own style engraving. I left mine blank and I let the buyer chose their own font.

Some folks kick the product because it is plastic. They shouldn’t kick too hard because there are numerous items in the Riviera that are plastic and look and perform just fine. 

1 hour ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Ed, do you know the name of the font originally used? I have two original metal Riviera dash placques and  it is easy enough for me to match the font as close as humanly possible. As you have pointed out for the plaque to be 100% original the plaque should be metal.

The blank placques I found are plastic. I found the price point for the plastic and all involved an outstanding value when I saw the faux brushed stainless appearance. Some folks like their own style engraving. I left mine blank and I let the buyer chose their own font.

Some folks kick the product because it is plastic. They shouldn’t kick too hard because there are numerous items in the Riviera that are plastic and look and perform just fine. 

Bob,

I do not know the name of the font.  I've tried matching it but to no avail. 

I agree with your statement about the plastic.  My biggest reason is that if you can't reproduce the original font, then the material shouldn't matter either.  Plus, everyone knows that, except for Reid and Lee Carroll from San Diego (silver/silver 63), no one is the original owner of their car. Therefore it was NOT custom or expressly built for the current owner.  Because of a few "tasteful tweaks" to my 64, I'd like to have a plaque that a states CUSTOM BUILT BY ED RANER.  ?

27 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Bob,

I do not know the name of the font.  I've tried matching it but to no avail. 

I agree with your statement about the plastic.  My biggest reason is that if you can't reproduce the original font, then the material shouldn't matter either.  Plus, everyone knows that, except for Reid and Lee Carroll from San Diego (silver/silver 63), no one is the original owner of their car. Therefore it was NOT custom or expressly built for the current owner.  Because of a few "tasteful tweaks" to my 64, I'd like to have a plaque that a states CUSTOM BUILT BY ED RANER.  ?

Ed, the subject regarding original, plastic, metal, font, placement belongs to concours automobiles. I like to stay as close as possible to original in my car. Of course, my car was not Built Expressly For or Cusrom Built For me. How far do you want to go and how consistent can you be in your efforts for originality? Getting the color “ right” on the 63 Riv air cleaner has been a real challenge. After four-five efforts of paint applications the color and finish I settled on is great -for me. Generally, I buy a name brand tire for daily driver and wife’s car. I bought an off brand radial name radial for my Riv because the seller said it was a good tire AND the white wall was 15/16” wide. Oh, the price was attractive as well. Were I perusing original original I’d have purchased the bias tires by size and name brand of what came on the car. Check out Suzie Q written by Dale Hawkins and see if like the original release versus CCR.  I Forgot to be Your Lover written and released by William Bell an outstanding song. ROBERT Cray covers the same tune and kills it with his Fender Strat run through two Matchless Chieftains with a Fender Super Reverb in middle. All have plastic.

• Like 1

I have to share this story with you guys.  I bought my 64 in 1972 from a local used car dealer.  I don't know how many owners the car had before my purchase but the original "Built Expressly For" plaque was still on the console.  The name on it was "A. Caponigro, Jr."  I always wanted to find this person and of course the internet didn't exist then and over 24 years of owning the car, I never found the original owner.

In 1996, I decided to sell the car and put it in the car corral at a car show.  Three guys were walking by the car and I overheard one of them say "hey, that looks like Tony Caponigro's old car."  I immediately ran over to the guys and asked him to repeat what he just said.  The guy repeated the name and I responded that indeed it was his old car and I can prove it.  I asked if he was still alive and the guys said he was.

Long story short, I sold the car that afternoon to someone else but how weird is it that on the last day of ownership, I found a link to the original owner?  I was really happy with that.  In the early 80's I found a blank "Built Expressly For" plaque that was never engraved and I bought it.  My plan was to replace the original with my name but I never got around to doing it.  I still have the blank plaque!

• Like 5

• 5 years later...