victorialynn2

Who did ‘57 Better? Ford or Chevy?

Let me know your opinion... no arguments. We are all adults and welcome to our opinions. 

B7EB0762-88DD-44D6-94CF-B429FBE870AA.jpeg

• Like 1

I think they are both good looking cars but I'm not crazy about the protruding headlamps on the Ford!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jpage said:

I think they are both good looking cars but I'm not crazy about the protruding headlamps on the Ford!

Well it did out sell the Chevy that year. But I’m partial...

I think too that the '57 Ford is longer and sleeker than the Chevy and the retractable is a great body style!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 Chevy's have always been one of my favorite, classic and timeless designs, so I prefer that. However, I used to not like the Fords much, but a red and white 57 Fairlane convertible is a gorgeous car. (I vastly prefer the regular convertible; not the hardtop convertible, from an appearance perspective). 

I remember admiring one in a movie years ago, called "FORD FAIRLANE, ROCK N ROLL DETECTIVE," starring Andrew Dice Clay. 

• Like 1

Just now, lump said:

57 Chevy's have always been one of my favorite, classic and timeless designs, so I prefer that. However, I used to not like the Fords much, but a red and white 57 Fairlane convertible is a gorgeous car. (I vastly prefer the regular convertible; not the hardtop convertible, from an appearance perspective). 

I remember admiring one in a movie years ago, called "FORD FAIRLANE, ROCK N ROLL DETECTIVE," starring Andrew Dice Clay. 

Can’t argue about the timeless design of the ‘57 Chevy. Really beautiful car and this was a very nice specimen! Way better condition then my Ford. 

Posted (edited)

I suppose it's also true that we often grow up considering ourselves to be sort of a "fan club" team member of certain brands of cars. Or at least, I and a lot of my friends did. I am a product of a childhood in AACA (back into the fifties), but also graduated high school in 1972 when many great muscle cars were becoming common "used cars." Less than a grand would buy you a hot Camaro, Mustang, Chevelle, Road Runner, etc, etc, and street racing was rampant at every stop light. (I know, shameful and dangerous...but I LOVED it). My dad drove Chevy's (I fell in love with his 57 Bel Air convertible), so I became a Chevy kid...mostly. And admittedly, it was great fun to pick on each other's brand of hot rods...just as it's fun today to pick on the other guy's football team. Mostly in good fun, of course, then and now. 

But as I've aged and gotten so deeply involved in the car hobby and the industry which serves the car hobbyists, I've learned to appreciate nearly all the brands of cars. I'm a hardcore Chevy guy, but who DOESN'T admire a 426 Hemi, or a 428 Super Cobra Jet, or a Pontiac 400 Ram Air IV, or a Stage 1 Buick, or a 302 Z28, or...well, you get the idea. 

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 2

From what I've heard, Ford and Chevrolet

were having a sales race that year.  I know of

one person who bought a lower-line Ford

for $1957 in 1957.  That was the sales promotion

that (at least) one particular dealer was having.

The Fords were really a more modern design but the small block Chevy engine  and the factory support they gave it made it much cheaper to hot rod the Chevy.  Ford gave almost no support and were much more expensive  to hot rod.  This made  all the trifive  Chevies  worth much more as used cars.  In the late sixties and seventies Chevies were still worth something but the fifties Fords were almost free.  This has begun to change as of late but the trifives are still on the whole worth more than the Fords.  Actually I have always liked the shorter wheelbase custom series of Fords more than the Fairlanes and the two door station wagons are also very attractive.

I semi-daily drive my '57 Ranchero.   Very mild "shaved" custom but dead stock powertrain 292 V8, stick, overdrive.   Never rebuilt.   No PS, no PB, no working heater.   People old and young go NUTs over the car.   '57 Chevs are dime a dozen and they know it.

0331181804_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Sitting firmly astride this fence, I've always been a fan of both. Chevy was my favorite growing up (I was born in 1948), and I always reckoned they were better mechanically.

I had a '57 BelAir hardtop in high school, 283/4 speed. It had had a hard life but I was over the moon.

Over the last 20 years or so, there has come to be a sort of a fad version of the Ford Custom 300 2 door sedan. Usually with straight front axle, an FE, ideally a 406 and 4 speed. The fad dictates all-over gloss black. Yeah, I know, it's modified, but I like it.

It's a trick question, everyone knows for a fact that DeSoto did it best in 1957! That said, who would say no to a Skyliner?

Hi Victorialynn,

I will admit up front that my view of these two cars is not totally objective since my dad owned a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Club Victoria that was our family car for 5 years and provided excellent service to our family during that time. The following is my (slightly) biased view of the two cars:

• The 57 Chevy was the third year of that body style. The 57 Ford was the first year of that body style and emphasized lower lines.
  • The Ford's interior is a little more traditional design than the Chevy's. Both are good designs, just different.
  • The Ford has two wheel bases, the Chevy only one.
  • Every 57 V8 model has Thunderbird V8 power. 
  • The 57 Ford looks like the big brother of the 57 T-Bird.

When Tom McCahill tested the 57 Ford he wrote that the car "cornered flat as a mailman's feet and in real competition style". He finished up his test by saying if "you like it, buy it, you won't go wrong". 

I think your dad had the best car with his Skyliner. Enjoy it as much as you can!

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird Colonial White

• Like 1

And Plymouth was the best looking of the low price three!

• Like 2

I prefer the Ford over the Chev for looks. But if you want a real automobile the Plymouth Fury had it over both of them like a tent.

• Like 1

Ford did outsell Chevy in 1957, but most rotted away by 1959

• Like 5

I've always been a Chevy guy, and like the "tri-five" Chevys.  I also like the "tri-five" Fords,  but consider the Ford Y-block engine to have been a good boat anchor and not good for much else.  If Ford had come out with their small block (221/260 c.i.) when Chevrolet came out with their 265 c.i. V-8 in 1955, I think the Thunderbird would have given the Corvette a bit more competition. 

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Grog

My dad was. GM executive, so talk of Ford or Mopar in our home was discouraged at all times.  I was in the GM building with our family the night they introduced the 57 models.  When the white cover came off the 57 Chevy convertible, it stopped the show.  They may have sold more Fords that yer, but they must have been rust prone or something, because there are a lot more 57 Chevies around these days.

• Like 1

Chet Krause and I used to lunch together frequently when we were doing work for him.

I'm a Chevy guy but I once asked him "What's the big deal about '57 Chevs?"

His answer to me was "That's the year Chevrolet got it all together."

1957 was an iconic year for automobile designs.  I wonder why the '57 styling clicked so well for the big three?

A 57 Chevrolet is a good looking car. I think it is dressed out better, when compared to the ford. The ford has more styling in the stamping of the body, with trim just accenting/highlighting body lines. While the Chevrolet body is very plain, it is dressed out very well with trim. Not being old enough, or knowledgeable on the prices when the cars were new. I would say price drove both cars to popularity. A 1957 Cadillac, Lincoln, Chrysler, Desoto, Plymouth, Dodge, Buick, Oldsmobile all had great styling. I think  a 1957 Hudson, and a 1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser, had questionable styling.     

50 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

A 57 Chevrolet is a good looking car. I think it is dressed out better, when compared to the ford. The ford has more styling in the stamping of the body, with trim just accenting/highlighting body lines. While the Chevrolet body is very plain, it is dressed out very well with trim. Not being old enough, or knowledgeable on the prices when the cars were new. I would say price drove both cars to popularity. A 1957 Cadillac, Lincoln, Chrysler, Desoto, Plymouth, Dodge, Buick, Oldsmobile all had great styling. I think  a 1957 Hudson, and a 1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser, had questionable styling.     

I had been involved helping sell a 57 Hudson a few months ago, that actually sold on this site. It was a nice car but not exactly soothing to look at. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, John348 said:

I had been involved helping sell a 57 Hudson a few months ago, that actually sold on this site. It was a nice car but not exactly soothing to look at. 

I love Hudson's. Nobody wants to call their kid ugly, but I will.