Brake Hoses....

Roadhog1951

I replaced the front brake hoses on my '56 Special quite a while ago (15 years?) and need to do it again.  I have searched on line and find hoses from 10 bucks to 35 bucks,,, and it appears they are all made in China, even the NAME brands!!! I don't want to spend 35 for a hose if I can buy the same one for 10 but what I am really looking for is a quality hose that is made in the good ole USA....Any suggestions?...THANKS,,,,

Going through that now after 18 years and observed same price ranges.  Picked the one in the middle and used shoes and hydraulic hoses front and rear from local NAPA.

Likely a good choice would be to buy them from your local NAPA store. The theory being that you could look them over before buying and since NAPA depends on repeat business from the local tradesmen they do a better job of vetting their suppliers than an internet dealer. Just sayin..........Bob

Recognizing it is off the OPs original topic but related (and not wanting to start another long thread when info exists) my finding is that the NAPA brake shoes work well in stopping the car.  Search forum to collect other opinions from existing threads.

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)

You will never find anything for your car made in America unless it's special application or custom made. Just how it is. I shop at NAPA because their stuff comes from  Mexico or Japan or Europe, where the standard of manufacturing is higher than the Chinese junk. 

You only get junk from China because Americans as a whole want to buy the least expensive piece they can find.  My brother worked with the Chinese developing commercial air conditioning for their buildings.  He said they were every bit as good as the top of the line US products.  But because you'd have to pay more to import those goods, you never see them.  The only thing you see is the cheap stuff that some manufacturer pays to import an inexpensive (cheap) product you everyone can save a buck.  If you try to save a buck, you're going to pay for it in the long run.  But because there are so few people willing to pay for quality, all that's manufactured is the cheap stuff.  We've brought it on our selves.  

I recently took a tour of the GM Fairfax assembly plant in Kansas City, Kansas.  All of us on the tour were amazed that we were even shown the last phase in the assembly process.  This is where the "roughnecks" (the Union Rep's words, not mine) were using sledge hammers, pry bars, and torquing trunks and hoods, to get everything to fit.  I've toured Toyota and Honda plants and found they have no need for "roughnecks."

GM - Proudly made in the USA by using a bigger hammer

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RivNut said:

I've toured Toyota and Honda plants and found they have no need for "roughnecks."

Or did they just not show you that section?

But I totally agree with your first sentence.

"Made in America" doesn't even imply what you think anymore. Most parts are made off shore and then shipped and assembled in America. Take modern Buicks for example. A lot of them are assembled here, but China is the #1 buyer of Buick and almost all their components are made there with some automobiles being manufactured there. 

1 hour ago, Beemon said:

"Made in America" doesn't even imply what you think anymore. Most parts are made off shore and then shipped and assembled in America. Take modern Buicks for example. A lot of them are assembled here, but China is the #1 buyer of Buick and almost all their components are made there with some automobiles being manufactured there. 

They are clever about it now.  "Assembled in America" from world parts.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Or did they just not show you that section?

But I totally agree with your first sentence.

We watched them the Toyotas drive off the line, go through final inspection, then released to the transport company.  I guess they could have been beat on somewhere along the line but not that we could see.  

I was always intrigued by Chryslers claim to their Mini-vans being made in America.  Literally they were as long as you consider that Canada is on the North American continent.

… Roadhog … go get your hoses made here … there are outfits that will copy your original rubber hose and make them in Teflon sleeved metal outer sleeve and paint them flat black and they are DOT compliant hoses … the advantage is when you hit the brakes you will have less fade due to what the original rubber line hoses would do by expansion … the metal sleeved one's therefore give a firmer feel and more immediate response with less pressure form you … the Porsche guys have been using these for years … just replace them about every 5 years and your good to go due to the Teflon internals but that is much to do about nothing since the improvement in braking is immediate and they are made right here in U.S.A.  …. Hemmings has a few guys listed in the services section and if you for some odd reason cannot find them there the Porsche section will certainly have them …. - uncle dave

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RivNut said:

We watched them the Toyotas drive off the line, go through final inspection, then released to the transport company.  I guess they could have been beat on somewhere along the line but not that we could see.  

I was always intrigued by Chryslers claim to their Mini-vans being made in America.  Literally they were as long as you consider that Canada is on the North American continent.

The VW mini-van is built right next to the Chryslers in Canada! 

• Haha 1

A number of years ago there was a need for some closets in our church's preschool.  Lots of men volunteered. At lunch, a friend of mi e and I came up with an excuse to leave because we couldn't believe what was happening.  Our comments on the co struction practices were "Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, and cut with an axe." The end product held that statement true.

?