Two insane bidders on ebay right now

Seafoam65

On ebay right now is an nos Riviera wood wheel horn bar. Two guys have been in a bidding war for the last several hours

with two more hours left to go in the auction. A few minutes ago the part got bid up to 7800.00, then one of the guys blinked and retracted

his bids, and then it fell back to 500.00. A few minutes later the guy who retracted jumped back in and it's up to 1575.00. Pure madness........

this for a part that is reproduced out of a much better material than the originals for 266.00. MADNESS!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chimera said:

it went up to $7800?

Yeah sometimes people see what the max bid is then retract. Thats not in good faith. Seems a bid sketchy.

Didn't knew that a bid can be retracted ?....I always tought a bid is a bid.

image.thumb.png.8e921d98a9e4adce117df0d373f247c1.png

The bid is not even really binding either.  Even when the person wins the item,  they can just not pay for it.  I sell 30 items a night on ebay.  I would bet you there is a 1 to 2 percent no pay rate.   Even if you open a case,  ebay gives that bidder an invisible strike for not paying, that no one can see,  and will only be picked up if a seller has that box clicked on the long chart of restrictions you can place on bidder criteria. I had a bidder who bid multiple items to 20 to 100 each totalling around $1300,  then had me box it all up and get him an invoice to Germany,  then disappeared and never paid the bill said he couldn't afford it right now but would make it right.  That was 6 months ago. 

14 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

The bid is not even really binding either.  Even when the person wins the item,  they can just not pay for it.  I sell 30 items a night on ebay.  I would bet you there is a 1 to 2 percent no pay rate.   Even if you open a case,  ebay gives that bidder an invisible strike for not paying, that no one can see,  and will only be picked up if a seller has that box clicked on the long chart of restrictions you can place on bidder criteria.

Ever since eBay got rid of a seller's ability to leave negative feedback for a buyer, the incidence of flakes, scammers, and extortionists has increased.

• Like 2

I sold a keyboard/synth on eBay last month. Had 2 bidders take it to $2,000. Guy that won never paid, never even responded. Had to relist it, it sold for $1650. So I lost $350 on that a-hole.

Happens all the time, I hear. eBay is not binding.

Would not be surprised if this part never sells for that price.

Edited by bodayguy (see edit history)

If you ebay search any kind of 60's horn bars for Fords, other Buicks, Chevrolets and Pontiacs, you can buy a nice

original horn bar anywhere from 12.50 to 75.00 tops. Every time  an early Riviera pot metal part comes up on ebay, people

descend on it like mad dogs and bid it to the moon. An early Riviera costs a fortune to get all the trim the way you want it.

The moral is buy an early Riviera that needs a restoration only if your marriage is on solid ground!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Like as not, this isn't destined for a Riviera that "needs restoration".  Rather, it's going to a guy who is collecting options that were never on his car.  But if he thinks his car just went up in value by $2000 because he's got an OEM horn bar, he should probably check into rehab.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now that he has it, he'll probably has plans for the 4 note horn option.  He'll go around honking the horns to impress everyone and the horn bar will probably break in no time. 

Ed

PS - If you're not familiar with how they break, don't press down on the bar, push up on the bar from the underneath side.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

In this case, the bid was retracted with about three hours to go.

You may be able to retract up to an hour before an auction ends. I have done it but I can't remember what the cut off point is.

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)

18 hours ago, RivNut said:

and the horn bar will probably break in no time

I have an NOS horn bar on my '64 that I have been taking way too much time to refurbish for what, I think, will be my last time. I have been considering machining two fixtures to lock the bar to the spokes just in case the wrong person gets behind the wheel.

My memory says mine cost $17 through the parts department at Bennett Buick about 1980. It took a month to get in and may have been the last NOS one sold. The column, wheel, at hub were a $30 swap meet item. So I had to make it nice.

On the Ebay part, you can put in a maximum bid of $20,000 for a part like that just to be sure you win. If it goes too high tell Ebay you think there was a shill biding. They will forget what you did and hound the seller. Ebay made the rules in favor of the buyer.

Bernie

Bernie

• Thanks 1

I agree that eBay used to be fun both selling and buying.

Selling: now, no one bids until the last few seconds (unless you have a NOS horn bar)

I can't understand why eBay don't change the system to continue allowing bids until no one has bid for say 30 seconds. Much like a normal auction works. This would be a great advantage for sellers and I'm sure they would achieve a higher realistic final price. Ebay are only interested in people with big turnover and eBay Stores, not individuals selling the odd thing.

• Thanks 1

A couple of days ago I gathered up a big collection of Rock Auto boxes from around my garage. Five years ago I would have saved them to ship out Ebay items I sold. I pretty much don't buy or sell through Ebay any more. Rock Auto has a much more straight forward search and I usually have about 5 or 6 pricing and quality ranges.

I understand that there are tricks I can learn to make Ebay's search algorithms and "parts compatibility" foolishness easier, but with Rock Auto I don't have to.

My Ebay account started in 1998, peaked around 2005, and has been spotty since the peak. I pay attention to the policies and the workings of its systems. User lethargy will be the end of them and they will never figure it out. And no one will care.

Bernie

I have never been able to get this through to even alot of my friends.  Ebay is a poker game,  not an auction. I use a program to bid.  You are playing to win not come in second place.  When you find out how the game works,  you need to find out how to win working within the rules.  it's strategy and nothing more.   Sellers also don't realize that they will get little action on most items if they start them high,  than if they start them cheap.   Just like at auctions when the auctioneer throws out that first high bid number and crickets,  then starts dropping it until someone jumps in.  It's the only reason I can explain selling an item for 3 times what the buy it now price is for the same item listed by another seller on ebay.  Hard to resist a 2.99 or 1.99 opening bid.  Do I want to sell it for that.  NO.  Some do,  Many get bids though and take off.  I've listed for friends using higher opening bids and often there is no activity until the auction is in the last hours of the last day,  meanwhile my own cheap starts have bids before I'm even done listing for the night. 

• Like 1

I just listed my 67 for sale on ebay yesterday. When I tried to go thru ebay motors I got a warning that the pages weren't secure. I was suspicious when they asked for credit card and checking acct info, although I found out later it is normal if you'e a seller. But when I finally got it done ( 90 minutes later) via telephone I told two different people about the security problem. They both seemed mildly interested and said they would report it. But how many people saw it before me? I ended going thru the regular ebay site, and it directed the ad to the car section. But beware of the car section. The header started with "pages/ebay motors/ etc.. Big warning "This site is not secure". WTH?

Every time I send someone an invoice for items that have bought on ebay,  through ebay,  it says that I'm being directed to a nonsecure site.  Seems that invoices which include any kind of financial information should be secure.  It's been that way for months now.