Hot start vs engine timing, pertronix kit installed

Some back story:

1928 standard six

Ignition system gave up the ghost yesterday, had to get towed home. Had a Pertronix electronic ignition kit for a while, haven't got around to installing. Ordered the matching 40Kv coil as well

Today:

Just installed the Pertronix kit and ignition coil. Suspect the coil was likely mostly to blame. Points didn't look half bad. Condenser could have been iffy though. 

Car wouldn't start, timing was way off. Had to advance the distributor a bit to get it to fire up.

Runs better than ever on fully delayed timing, runs absolutely amazing full advanced. 

New to this car, it now will "hot start" when the timing is fully delayed. Tries to start up backwards when fully advanced.

For those that do not know what this is, you can start the engine on residual fuel in the cylinders and spark alone. You don't have to crank it at all. Simply turn on the ignition and vroom!

The question:

Since there are no timing marks, how does this sound for timing? I'm obviously after TDC fully delayed and before TDC when fully advanced. If I had to guess, equally on either side of TDC through the full stroke of timing lever. Should I advance it some more? Delay it a hair? Leave it as is? Unfortunately not able to get it on the road right now to drive it and see how it pulls.

Initial results:

Very pleased. I know the old T's can hot start and is a sign your engine is in top notch condition. This old standard six has never been able to, but I've never heard of them being able to do it either. It just purrs at an idle when fully advanced, it has never run this well.

There must be timing marks somewhere on the flywheel but don't worry about them.  If it were me I would put a mark with white paint on the crank pulley in line with something on the block.  Then you could use this to get the engine running if you messed the timing up.

I worked for years in a GM parts department and our best tune up man (least come-backs) always started out with the factory timing marks and then set the timing on the road.  Every car, even the same year and the same engine were slightly different.  A vacuum gauge or a finger on the fender will adjust the timing as well or better than a timing light, once you have the engine running.

In 60 years I have seen two engines start on the ignition on cars that did not have a vibrator type coil.

It sounds like you have the timing perfect.

Happy motoring.

i put the same unit in my '28 Std. 6 and it really makes a big improvement as you experienced. Definitely need to match the coil to the electronic ignition.

There are timing marks. See page 47 of repro owners manual available from Myers and others. By the starter there is an elliptical cover near the flywheel housing. Open it and slowing have an assistant turn the engine until you see the marks. Use a strong flashlight. On mine someone put white paint so easier to see. But they are there. You can use a modern 12V timing light using your modern car as the source of power and your 6 V DB for connections to the distributor. Times similar to a modern car. That way you do not need to advance on column. Can play around by ear under very slow idle of carb.

Paul Bohlig

Dallas, TX area