Mattml430

Starting Dodge Four restoration.

1 hour ago, Mattml430 said:

A mate of mine runs between Melbourne and Brisbane weekly Richard with a furniture truck. He picks up stuff for me all the time. He picked up my hickory for the wheels from Canberra for me. So if we get anything I’ll get him to grab it. I’ll know by Saturday afternoon if I need anything else. 

That could be awesome - thanks!!

Thought  I’d better update the progress on the old girl. Finished bringing it all back to bare metal today and have to say I have been very surprised to of found absolutely no bad rust or damage to any of the body or doors. The guards had a bit of damage but nothing serious. The only rust was a bit of surface rust around the back seat area but it all came straight off. 

Ive got the body all under coated and will be doing the doors tomorrow. All my guards and side skirts are finished in black. I’ll post some pics. jj

C262AF41-9282-4F2D-8E69-337772909D97.jpeg

0B303874-F092-489F-8CE4-71F9429BEAC7.jpeg

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Got all my plating back. Was supposed to be all nickel plated but they did it all in chrome which was a little disappointing. Did a great job though. 

8BC83BFC-EC4E-492E-A018-A6E09B3C28D5.jpeg

951A186F-CCC9-42D1-AF9F-16D7B66A6A9F.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bullfrog_eng said:

Fantastic. So you will have a matching pair then (sort of)?

Yes pretty much.

Well got her back down on the ground this morning and took it for a quick burn up the road to test the gearbox rebuild and my r/hand drive conversion. All went really well drove straight as a die at about 30 and the gear box was so much smoother and quiter. That could also be the better universal joint and grease that has made the difference too. 

It was fun getting the accelerator linkages to the opposite side of the car but all works nicely. 

0FA68045-7228-49B6-B9C0-2AD915F692DB.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RichBad said:

Looks great!  Well done. I’m jealous now:)

Thanks Richard 

I actually felt a bit mean posting that after your engine troubles. Yours will all turn out well for you I’m positive. 

• Like 1

Made a start on the new wooden spoke wheels today. Cut a view extra in case of any mishaps. 

Takes about 6 minuets for my old lathe to spit one out and another view minutes sanding it while it’s still spinning. So there will be a view hours on the lathe tomorrow and Sunday. 

Some nice kiln dried hickory. 

C6EADEE3-0F43-42B3-8FFE-0E2C6D2D493D.jpeg

• Like 2

Fitted the guards, sidesteps and bonnet today, she’s starting to look like a car again. Got the tops of my doors and wheels painted this morning, just need to do the bottom of the doors now. 

B89B657D-1EA7-48C6-B75F-5D49C1846F67.jpeg

ED679FA8-E153-45C6-BA0E-D840F2618D2E.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bullfrog_eng said:

Looking great. Even your dog looks impressed, and so he/she should.

Thanks mate, he was probably waiting for me to turn my back and piss off with a screwdriver or something. Working away before and to my surprise I had a bird with its head missing next to me.

He’s a lovable little pain in the butt.  

• Like 1

Hi your car looks great ,I also have a dodge sedan restored in 96 .One thing that may be of help to you at this stage of restoration

is to install a drip tray/channel at the back rear windows .My car didnt have anything and the water ran down onto the inner guard and rusted 

the panel as the water was trapped between the upholstery and the body.The channel is sealed at both ends with a half inch copper pipe soldered 

to one end to drain the excess water.(73 holden torana bypass hose connected the pipe to the wheel well at the back of the rear wheel.)

PS  .My german shepard was also helpful ,

keep up the good work,

off to colac Dodge rally friday

13 hours ago, 2251DB said:

Hi your car looks great ,I also have a dodge sedan restored in 96 .One thing that may be of help to you at this stage of restoration

is to install a drip tray/channel at the back rear windows .My car didnt have anything and the water ran down onto the inner guard and rusted 

the panel as the water was trapped between the upholstery and the body.The channel is sealed at both ends with a half inch copper pipe soldered 

to one end to drain the excess water.(73 holden torana bypass hose connected the pipe to the wheel well at the back of the rear wheel.)

keep up the good work,

Thanks for the tip I was looking at that last week thinking about a way to get the water out. Do you have any pics of yours the way you did it. I think I get what you mean though, it’s a good idea. 

I’ll be at Colac on Sunday afternoon in the victory. So hopefully catch up then. 

keep up the good work,

We will be in a 28 blue senior sedan so I can catch up then  

Stuart

• Like 1

On 10/3/2018 at 8:50 AM, MikeC5 said:

Looks very nice.  You work fast too!

Thanks Mike , yer I have a deadline for my daughters wedding late November. I’d like to have both cars ready for her.