Starting Dodge Four restoration.

14 minutes ago, Bullfrog_eng said:

Looking great. Even your dog looks impressed, and so he/she should.

Thanks mate, he was probably waiting for me to turn my back and piss off with a screwdriver or something. Working away before and to my surprise I had a bird with its head missing next to me.

He’s a lovable little pain in the butt.  

• Like 1

Hi your car looks great ,I also have a dodge sedan restored in 96 .One thing that may be of help to you at this stage of restoration

is to install a drip tray/channel at the back rear windows .My car didnt have anything and the water ran down onto the inner guard and rusted 

the panel as the water was trapped between the upholstery and the body.The channel is sealed at both ends with a half inch copper pipe soldered 

to one end to drain the excess water.(73 holden torana bypass hose connected the pipe to the wheel well at the back of the rear wheel.)

PS  .My german shepard was also helpful ,

keep up the good work,

off to colac Dodge rally friday

13 hours ago, 2251DB said:

Hi your car looks great ,I also have a dodge sedan restored in 96 .One thing that may be of help to you at this stage of restoration

is to install a drip tray/channel at the back rear windows .My car didnt have anything and the water ran down onto the inner guard and rusted 

the panel as the water was trapped between the upholstery and the body.The channel is sealed at both ends with a half inch copper pipe soldered 

to one end to drain the excess water.(73 holden torana bypass hose connected the pipe to the wheel well at the back of the rear wheel.)

keep up the good work,

Thanks for the tip I was looking at that last week thinking about a way to get the water out. Do you have any pics of yours the way you did it. I think I get what you mean though, it’s a good idea. 

I’ll be at Colac on Sunday afternoon in the victory. So hopefully catch up then. 

keep up the good work,

We will be in a 28 blue senior sedan so I can catch up then  

Stuart

• Like 1

On 10/3/2018 at 8:50 AM, MikeC5 said:

Looks very nice.  You work fast too!

Thanks Mike , yer I have a deadline for my daughters wedding late November. I’d like to have both cars ready for her. 

I got my doors on and new dash in today. Just waiting on some window channel before I can get all the glass in. Going to make a start on the interior tomorrow with some insulation wherever I can stick it. My seats are looking good, I popped into the trimmer today and he’s doing a great  job. 

Need to pull my finger out now I have the other one to repair before my daughters big day. 

B9793044-C214-4199-BC51-A7268854C8E0.jpeg

5F02A7FE-2D8C-4627-BA0C-C36D7B90B7DB.jpeg

• Like 1

Gee, you don't mess around, do you? I won't tell you how long I have been working on mine, not sure I can even remember!! Going on holidays for a couple of weeks and I can see a heap of household jobs to do when I get back, but hope to get back into mine then, I have a number of things organised to start on and looking forward to it. Yours is looking great and an inspiration to me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The girls meet up for the first time with there new skirts and shoes on , On Sunday. Haha. 

Almost ready for my daughters wedding in 3 weeks just a view bits to do on the second one,  and get her registered. 

176715B4-797D-4F87-A68D-57F0706C1F43.jpeg

• Like 4

Keiser is absolutely right there. Very impressed but now I am feeling REALLY inadequate. Haven't touched mine for weeks now (but then I have been on holidays for a couple of those weeks). You certainly get things done and very well I must say.

• Thanks 1

Cheers fellas,  could be something to do with promising my daughter they would be ready for her big day. 

My wife found this little box at Aldi’s and when I saw it I got her to get 2 more for the cars. They make a really neat centre console and actually fit a water bottle believe or not. Great for all the little bits you take when you go for a drive. 

148B9329-E36A-44D0-B3FE-505A77C383C1.jpeg

1DD5C550-0F92-481B-A16E-1ABBF145AA9A.jpeg

John Fosters is NOT the in beer in Aust. I recall that when we were in the U.S. in 2014 there was a shop advertising  Fosters  and the bloke that worked there was very upset when I informed him that the only reason we exported Fosters to the U.S. was that no one drank it here Infact even pigs turned their noses up at it  I have been known to tell the odd tall story though 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today was the first time I’ve been able to take the 27 for a decent drive. It handles and drivers really well but the engine has a horrible vibration at just about any speed. I know these 4 cylinder engines are known for a bit of a vibration at certain rev range but this is kinda constant. It’s a D series engine so it has the 5 main bearings. So I’ll do a view tests over the next couple of days and see what I can find. I may need to pull it down and  check the weights of everything in case something has been mis matched over time. It doesn’t burn oil and the plugs burn absolutely beautifully. 

The flywheel looked ok when I had the gearbox off but I have to admit i didn’t investigate it to much. 

Any thoughts. 

7 hours ago, RichBad said:

Is it engine speed related or road speed?  My rear UJ gave a pretty decent vibe.

I think it’s definitely engine as it has the same vibration when it’s free reving. I’ve put a pretty good u joint in that I got from Myers. 

Thats a pain.  Just some random thaughts of a few things to check befiore you go too deep...

Fan - its quite a big heavy thing and if its had a bad repair could easily give quite a good vibration - not sure if it's easy to disconnect (like the later ones) to see if it goes?

Clutch spigot bearing - if missing/dammaged could be letting the input shaft wobble around (but I think you mentioned that was replaced)

Flywheel - not sure about yours but mine could go on in any position - but was marked (also easy to check with the timing marks).  It's so big and heavy that you'd think it would soak up anything else being out of ballance.

• Like 1

I have taken the belt off the fan the other day because I thought the same but no different. Even took the flex joint off the back of the water pump. 

Drove it today to get the RWC and it has identical vibration through each gear. No relevance to speed at all. 

Bob rang me today and gave me some good pointers to look at so after the wedding I’ll attack it. She

Passed the RWC ok so I’ll get it registered tomorrow. There is one rev range I found that was almost acceptable but to slow for traffic. It’s not to much trouble to pull it apart. Need something else to do now anyway. Hahahah 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...